Where my Duke applicants at?!

just received an invite to the interview weekend! good luck to everyone!

"Just??" As in, like, just a few hours ago, just today? Or, as in like five minutes ago?

This whole waiting thing is making me neurotic. I've been refreshing my e-mail literally every minute or so since the initial results went up (these are for English, btw).

The new Duke postings look like they are from the English program, rather than the Literature one, right? I wasn't expecting Duke English to announce until the end of this week (going by the results board for last year). Hmmm....

Typically English has notified within the first few days of Feb, so it's not technically too early. I just want to know if all the acceptances were sent out today, or if there are still some to come!

I was one of the acceptances posted, to the English program. It's my first acceptance (got rejected from Northwestern last week), with 15 more to go, but the first one is always the best. I've just kissed my computer screen with the email.

Congrats, hedgerows! May I ask what your area of specialization is? I creeped on your profile and saw that your subfield is 18th-c. British. This worries me that I may already be out of the running...

Sad face.

Congrats, hedgerows! May I ask what your area of specialization is? I creeped on your profile and saw that your subfield is 18th-c. British. This worries me that I may already be out of the running...

Sad face.

I wouldn't worry too much, there's always room for more 18th centuryists, in my opinion! The email said that I was unanimously accepted by the committee because of my interest in both the history of the book and digital humanities. My primary area of interest is in women authors and domestic fiction with regards to gendered communities, which fits in pretty perfectly with Nancy Armstrong's interests (she was my POI).

Don't lose hope yet, I think they picked me because my interests are so strongly "fitted" to Duke. :)

The email said that I was unanimously accepted ....

Do you think that most committees have this democratic structure? I always assumed that each accepted student had to be approved by all members of a committee, collectivist style. If indeed democratic, it would be great to be able to know which profs voted against us so as to avoid wasting them with them upon enrolling there.

Do you think that most committees have this democratic structure? I always assumed that each accepted student had to be approved by all members of a committee, collectivist style. If indeed democratic, it would be great to be able to know which profs voted against us so as to avoid wasting them with them upon enrolling there.

It would be better to know who was going to be on the committee so we could tailor our statements to them in the first place!

Best of luck to everyone who's still waiting!

If indeed democratic, it would be great to be able to know which profs voted against us so as to avoid wasting them with them upon enrolling there.

Even if profs on an admissions committee "vote against" you in admissions, it doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't work with them if you are admitted to the program. As has been widely discussed elsewhere, an adcom or adcom member's support for your application (or lack of support, in some cases) often has less to do with how little they like you than how much they like someone else, how the current spread of students of faculty is arranged, and so forth.

I think they probably do have to be "unanimously" accepted, in that it's unlikely someone will get in if a member of the committee strongly feels he or she should not be accepted. But I gather that they and the POI all agreed to accept hedgerows before the group campus visit and just decided to let her (him?) know beforehand. Perhaps there are other accepted candidates who do not post here. I suspect the other unaccepted invitees are competing with one or two other candidates in their area of interest, and that their fates will be decided in a post-visit meeting. But this is, of course, just a guess!

(also, big congrats, hedgerows! I love your avatar--one of my favorite strips of C&H).

Edited by poeteer

I think they probably do have to be "unanimously" accepted, in that it's unlikely someone will get in if a member of the committee strongly feels he or she should not be accepted. But I gather that they and the POI all agreed to accept hedgerows before the group campus visit and just decided to let her (him?) know beforehand. Perhaps there are other accepted candidates who do not post here. I suspect the other unaccepted invitees are competing with one or two other candidates in their area of interest, and that their fates will be decided in a post-visit meeting. But this is, of course, just a guess!

(also, big congrats, hedgerows! I love your avatar--one of my favorite strips of C&H).

I didn't apply to Duke, but I'm pretty sure the English department doesn't have interviews, just the Lit department, so that is why someone got accepted to the English department already.

... But I gather that they and the POI all agreed to accept hedgerows before the group campus visit and just decided to let her (him?) know beforehand. Perhaps there are other accepted candidates who do not post here. I suspect the other unaccepted invitees are competing with one or two other candidates in their area of interest, and that their fates will be decided in a post-visit meeting. But this is, of course, just a guess!

Duke Lit does interview invitations, but Duke English just sends out acceptances/rejections/waitlists, right? I think she mentioned that she applied to Duke English, so her acceptance shouldn't have anything to do with a campus visit or interview. Am I understanding all this correctly?

But I gather that they and the POI all agreed to accept hedgerows before the group campus visit and just decided to let her (him?) know beforehand. Perhaps there are other accepted candidates who do not post here. I suspect the other unaccepted invitees are competing with one or two other candidates in their area of interest, and that their fates will be decided in a post-visit meeting.

Well, I dunno if this part applies, because English (which hedgerows was accepted to) doesn't do interviews (Literature's the one that does)--I think? (On edit: yeah, other people have said this too. Phew.) But in any case, hedgerows, huge congratulations! And, bdon19, I'm right there with you with the panic . . . I'm not an 18th-centuryist, but I applied too, and I'm treating my "Get Mail" button quite badly right now!

Yes to all, I didn't get an interview request, just an acceptance and an invite to visit campus late in Feb. I'm excited to go and check Duke out! I hope there are more acceptances to come for all still waiting to hear back.

The email said that I was unanimously accepted by the committee because of my interest in both the history of the book and digital humanities.

Don't lose hope yet, I think they picked me because my interests are so strongly "fitted" to Duke. :)

Pretty sure that this is the kind of Cinderella story we're all hoping for....

Congrats!

just received an invite to the interview weekend! good luck to everyone!

Vordhosbntwin, congratulations!! Very excited for you. In the meantime, I will continue to pray fervently to any and all gods that there are at least a couple of interview invites to be sent, one of which has my name on it...

I anticipate imbibing A LOT of Jameson this weekend.

i'm comp lit; main interests are french and english modernisms, 19th and 20th century continental philosophy, critical theory/marxism. i'm particularly interested questions of form and presentation in philosophy, and the relationship between negative theoretical projects and modernism. what about you?