Where my Duke applicants at?!

Who will be joining me tonight in neurosis as I work furiously to get my app in? It's only 9:30am and I'm at work but I'm already having flashes of panic. But it's going to be okay!! ... Right?

Good luck! I applied to Duke's history program. I got my app in kind of early but only because the History department allowed me to submit my entire thesis as a writing sample. Certainly means A LOT less work finding an excerpt. :D

already submitted :-)

What?! What kind of black magic do you possess??

Right there with you! But deadline is 11:59pm tomorrow, yeah? Either way, hoping to have it in tonight . . .

AH! See, I wasn't sure whether the deadline was midnight tonight, or 11:59pm tomorrow, so I figured I should err on the side of caution. Where does it state the time on the website (not doubting you, I'm just curious)?

AH! See, I wasn't sure whether the deadline was midnight tonight, or 11:59pm tomorrow, so I figured I should err on the side of caution. Where does it state the time on the website (not doubting you, I'm just curious)?

No worries--I'd want to confirm, too. Not something to mess around with! :)

The department website just says "December 8." But here's a paragraph from the grad school website:

December 8 - Priority deadline for submission of Ph.D. applications for admission and award for the fall semester. Although some departments will continue to accept applications until December 31, it is recommended that applications be submitted by 11:59:59 pm, Eastern U.S. time, December 8. All students seeking fall admission should meet the appropriate deadline, since it is likely that enrollment in many departments will be filled soon after this date. Late applications may be considered for admission only if all spaces have not been filled, and for financial aid only if funds are still available.

Is anyone else applying to Duke's Literature program as opposed to English? I'm planning on sending in my application tonight although I know the chances of getting accepted are so slim...Even so, the prospect of taking classes from the likes of Jameson, Hardt, and Hayles tickles me to no end....

Is anyone else applying to Duke's Literature program as opposed to English? I'm planning on sending in my application tonight although I know the chances of getting accepted are so slim...Even so, the prospect of taking classes from the likes of Jameson, Hardt, and Hayles tickles me to no end....

Right here. The Lit program is my number one choice and I'm so nervous about my application I'm practically breaking out in hives. Last year I think they accepted eight applicants. EIGHT.

I'm applying to Duke English and I'm pretty freaked out. It's blisteringly competitive, but of course, one the best in the country. I'm going to try to have mine up and out today--all I have to do is tweak my statement--can't take TOO long, right?

Good luck Cquin--from a fellow New Yorker to another.

Yeah, those are pretty frightening odds, but the only thing we can do is turn in the most solid application packet we possibly can. I'm going over my writing sample with a fine toothed comb today even though I've already submitted it to other schools. Good luck, cquin!

Well out of my list of schools, which range from CUNY Grad (last I heard they accept around 25?) to various MA programs, Duke is by far the most competitive and has the lowest number of admits. Hence my anxiety. But yeah, I see what y'all are saying.

Anyway, time for more coffee...

I am only JUST getting to finishing up my app. I was up at 4:30 this morning and didn't get back from my job until nearly 7. I still have pages of my writing sample that are unwritten. kja;skljd;flkja;lsjdfl;kj;aklsj;dkjf;lkasdf

I am caffeinating myself up right now and banning myself from GradCafe until this is in!

I'm very interested in the Duke Literature program (I plan on specializing in "theory"), but my application season is next fall.

It seems extremely theoretical, and it encourages interdisciplinarity, which is always a good thing.

Duke Literature: an exciting program, indeed! I'm also going to be submitting my applicaiton later today. I feel good about my SoP, but I find myself editing my writing sample yet again after another sort of epiphany last night.

sorry, i had an email exchange with the head of the comp lit program, pericles lewis, who said that that dept accepts '2-3% of applicants.' i mixed up the percentile with number. anyway, i wasn't referring to the yale english program, but to the comp lit program, which is probably closer in spirit to the duke lit program.

Pericles Lewis is the most bomb name ever. Seriously, when I was making a list of potential POIs over the summer, I had an entry for him on my spreadsheet that simply read:

Pericles Lewis: HIS NAME.

Hahaha. He's right up there with Michael Awkward at Michigan. I had a friend who extensively quoted an article by Awkward in a paper this year, and when she met with the prof. to talk about it they just ended up giggling the entire time.

Also, just putting this out there: T-2 hours left (for my time zone, at least) to get everything in!! EEEEK! Thankfully I submitted the app part last night. Just tweaking the writing sample now...and realizing that my brain is no longer functioning properly. I've never had such issues with subject-verb agreement in my life as I am having tonight...