Does anyone know how admissions reviews apps?

bounce

I am applying to three MSW programs for Fall 2012.

1) SDSU

2) CSULB

3) CSUN

I unfortunately won't be submitting my applications until late December/possibly early January because my professors that I am getting LOR's from are too busy to write them for me until late December.

My question is: Does it matter WHEN you submit your apps as long as it isn't late? Do you have a better chance of being accepted if you submitted your application early, like when the application period opened up? Does anyone know if they just wait for all the applications to come in and then review them?

I'm really nervous about this. I have to submit my app late (in the application period, the application will be submitted prior to the deadlines) through no fault of my own. And Yes, I want to wait for these professors to write my LOR's because I know they will be outstanding and well written.

You should take some time out and attend an informational. They were very helpful to me and gave me the necessary information. One thing that they look forward to most is the personal statement... I know for a fact! They want to see if you have graduate-level writing skills... Personally, I find that ignorant, but nonetheless, that's what they are looking for. :angry:

Why not call the schools and ask them for a soft-copy of their presentations during the informational. Maybe they will have some compassion if you inform them that you will not return to SoCal prior to end of the application process.

I hope this helps...

From my understanding SDSU looks at the apps as they come-in, so it's probably easier for the on-the-fence applicant to get an acceptance if you apply early. But the admissions rep told me they reserve spots until the very end of the period so it's not a total free for all, first come first serve situation. I suspect if you're not a shoe-in applicant you're more likely to be rejected/wait listed if you apply at the last minute. Those are my 2 cents.

Edited by SofieCat

I'm pretty sure I'm a shoe-in. Not to sound cocky or overconfident. I've spoken with several admissions people and my stats are well above the average accepted applicant's stats.

It would be pretty crappy to get rejected on the basis of not submitting the app early. I understand if I'm not a good enough applicant, but if I get rejected because of when I sent my app in, I'll be furious.

I just finished my first semester of the MSW program at SDSU.

I thought that I was a shoe in too, but I was wait-listed at EVERY program I applied to two years ago. I was never given a reason either., other than, "hundreds of students apply and we only accept x amount." However, I reapplied a year later and got into every school....so, perhaps another year of volunteer experience helped?

SDSU reviews applications as they come in (rolling admissions), and I applied at the end of the admissions cycle the first year when I never made it off a wait list. I applied much earlier this last application period and found out I got into SDSU in early April. I found out that for part of the admissions process, faculty members are assigned to review applications.

I think 600 people applied last year and they took about 90 students, so I got lucky. Everyone wants to live in San Diego, so they get tons of applicants. I should also mention I have lived in San Diego my whole life.

Good luck!

Edited by MSW hopeful

Hey Tracy, I got into the MSW 3-year Direct Practice, Children, Youth & Families specialization program at SDSU with the following stats:

3.2 overall GPA, 3.4 last 60 units, 5 on the AW. part of the GRE, related undergrad degree from another CSU, significant/relevant volunteer experience (about 3 years - 2 years as a volunteer victim advocate/crisis counselor at a rape crisis center/battered woman's shelter). SDSU requires a minimum of 500 verifiable volunteer hours.

Nothing over the top impressive by any means. I had a really well written personal statement., and I had 2 former professors review it and make suggestions. ALL of your letters of rec need to come from former professors; the school wants to know how you are as a student. Try to get actual letters in addition to the reference form the school has on the site. Also, I suggest mentioning the NASW code of ethics in your personal statement.

Good luck, I hope you get in! :)

Edited by MSW hopeful

Hey MSW hopeful - the SDSU MSW website says the LOR can be from professors or professionals? Where did you hear that we need all 3 from professors? Also, has anyone who is applying to SDSU noticed the LOR form is a survey...do letter writers need to write an additional LOR to go with the survey? If no one knows I'll give them a ring first thing in the morning to ask.

It may say that on the site, but I got this info from the information session, the graduate advisor, the admissions assistant- they all said all academic references are STRONGLY preferred. I used two academics and one professional the first year, all academic references the 2nd time and got in.

Oh and also -get the form filled out AND a personal letter too. Anyone can take 3 minutes to check boxes n the form...having a letter written as well will help.

Edited by MSW hopeful

Oh, well why don't they put that on the website?! Thanks for the insider tip though! Now I need to scratch my head on who I can ask for a letter. I graduated 8 years ago and didn't keep in touch with professors. I have strong professional references. IMO it makes much more sense for someone that's been working for the last 7 years to use recent references. I'm 30....and realistically, why would they think a letter from a professor written about what kind of student I was at 20 years old be better than one from a recent supervisor?

What's someone in this situation to do??

I suggest emailing Katherine Gemmell, the graduate assistant... I hear you, I graduated 3 years ago, and felt like that was a while for anyone to remember me aside from 1 prof. I kept in contact with. I was surprised how willing the professors were to write the letters, they needed a resume and one of them wrote the nicest letter about me (she gave me a copy) and you would think we were good friends by how she wrote the letter! Just try contacting them. I am not trying to freak you out, believe me, I was pissed when I had to scramble at the last minute the 2nd year and try and find another willing professor.

Ok, now I'm freaking out. I already applied to my school, with no academic references. I graduated 4.5 years ago and the only professor I kept in touch with passed away. I have 3 strong references - two current supervisors of 2+ years (one MSW & Ps.yD, one Ph.D) and one for where I've been volunteering for the 2+ years. I've read the letters from my supervisors, and they both talk about my strong writing skills, reliability and organization...I'm a much better worker now than I was student back in the day. There's nothing I can do about it now I guess.//

I have three OUTSTANDING LOR's. But my personal statement is on the weak side. Thanks for the tip about the NASW! I will definitely use it in my Personal statement. I'm going to have two professors edit it. I just hope I have enough experience. I have 600 hours that can be verified, which is above the minimum, but not by much.

I hope I get in!

It may say that on the site, but I got this info from the information session, the graduate advisor, the admissions assistant- they all said all academic references are STRONGLY preferred. I used two academics and one professional the first year, all academic references the 2nd time and got in.

Oh and also -get the form filled out AND a personal letter too. Anyone can take 3 minutes to check boxes n the form...having a letter written as well will help.

This is why attending informational sessions are so important! The admissions professionals share more info... Info that is not available on the site. I honestly believe they hold the information for the informationals.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Statement of Purpose on CSU Mentor has to be filled out IN ADDITION to the personal statement we mail in? I've emailed and gotten no response :/

Also, I noticed it said 500 verifiable hours, but how do they verify it? There are no forms or anything for the supervisors to fill out...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey CSUN guys,

I called them today and they told me that we would hear something by the end of the week...

Hey PB &J do you know if everyone should hear or just people who were interviewed... I heard the only people who get interviews are weak applicants that they are not sure can make the cut, but I don't know if that's true,

• 3 weeks later...