Women's Studies 2012 applications, admissions, offers

ltam

Indiana Gender seems to be giving very careful consideration to the admission process this year given that the dates of announcements have been earlier in past years. (can be seen in Results Survey on Grad Cafe)

Edited by Sexuality&Power

Guest mckee002

I have a question for all of those more familiar with GWS programs. I was a History and Art History double for undergrad (honors in both, good gpa, yadda yadda) and wrote two honors theses that focused on issues of gender, sexuality, race, etc. I am interested in applying for the MA program in GWS at San Francisco State University with the intention of going on to a PhD in Art History.

What is the reputation of the graduate program at SFSU? I am from the Bay Area and it seems that this is one of SFSU's specialties, but I'd love to get some other opinions from those more familiar with Gender and Women's Studies.

Also, has anyone done a GWS MA and then switched fields for PhD?

So many options...

Edited by mckee002

I applied to SFSU for WGS too. I applied last years and was rejected, but looking back on my SOP I understand why (I had too vague of an idea what I wanted to study and not much background in WGS except for the beginnings of my senior thesis). I really hope I get in this year though!! I am also from the Bay Area. I have never really had a high opinion of Cal State schools as they have the reputation of being the fallbacks of the UCs. But, when I applied there last year, my Queer Theory professor at Davis really recommended it. Their website states that they make you take some undergraduate courses in WGS if you don't already have a BA in it. I have a minor in Sexuality Studies and my major was interdisciplinary (which I focused around WGS) and I hope that is enough. Let me know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

hey, about indiana, i used to think that the deadline was 15th of March, but i was wrong: (according to their website)

''The official deadline is April 15th, yet we will try to contact everyone by late March or early April.''

congrats to everyone for their acceptances to many departments until now :-)

Edited by Sexuality&Power

I've been turned down everywhere for PhD's; therefore I am applying to George Washington and Towson University's Women Studies programs and Simmons' Gender and Cultural studies MA programs. Hopefully, I get my MA and then go for the PhD in two years a better qualified applicant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wishing everyone good luck in the decision making process. I was rejected from all my Soc programs and just haven't heard from Maryland (Women's Studies) yet but I'm assuming rejection after all this time. I know the PhD funding deadline is April 15 so people should be finalizing decisions soon right?

• 4 weeks later...

I just got accepted to the Graduate Theological Union (Berkeley, CA)'s certificate of Women's Studies in Religion!! Super excited about living in the Bay! :-)

You're going to LOVE it in the Bay! Congrats, I'm hoping to hear back from Oxford by tomorrow for their MA in Women's Studies, it'll be sad to leave but i'll def. be back!

Edited by cathy_d

• 5 months later...

I'm completing my MA in Human Rights at Columbia and have not yet managed to find a PhD program that's the "perfect fit". I think I'm currently applying to several Master's programmes - a women's studies in Canada, an MTS that would allow me to focus on women, gender and sexuality, gender studies in the University of Oslo and the Masters in Intercultural Experience at Helsinki. There's a fascinating program called the GEMMA program (http://masteres.ugr.es/gemma/redirector/) that looks really promising. Rutgers is part of the consortium that offers this. It's a Masters degree in women's and gender studies and it's a European Union program. Am very tempted by it!

Edited by calmflare