Any Chapel Hill-ers?

I think it doesn't get "much love" because it's an incredibly small program. Like, handful of people, small.

Not really... Some years ago when I was making the rounds at recruitment visits, at least, it was fairly midsize of the programs I was considering. Maybe they've cut their cohort size since then, but it still has twice the faculty of where I ended up (which is small for an R1 but not tiny either).

I meant the amount of students, not the amount of faculty. They have recently changed to accept even less students because North Carolina does not allow tuition remission, so they have to offer more in TAships and Fellowships to cover the tuition costs, which has to come out of the amount of money they have to give to students.

Are you sure about that? Per their page: "During the 2010-2011 admissions season, the Department of English received 390 applications, and we accepted 18 students in English and Comparative Literature."

That seems to be in line with most other programs, maybe even a little more.

• 1 month later...

So I realize this thread has been dead for over a month now, but I'm replying anyway. I'm reeeeaalllly ready to find out whether I got in or not, please. This whole waiting thing is absolute torture!

According to the results page on this site, applicants started hearing back in February last year, but some received acceptances in late January in previous years. Yes, I'm hoping for a return to earlier notifications.

Anyone have the inside scoop on when we might start getting notices this year?

no inside scoop, but terrified about the idea of a January notification! I've been counting on having an emotionally stable January... AARGH

edit to add: now I notice that Northwestern started notifying in January last year. Let the emotional rollercoaster begin!

Edited by indalomena

Oh, no! I didn't mean to add to your terror! Please return to emotional stability immediately. I just really want to know...good or bad...as soon as possible. I guess patience isn't my greatest virtue, huh. ;D

Haha, no it's OK -- it's best to be prepared for the possibility of January notifications! And I suppose, UNC and Northwestern had quite early deadlines, so it's conceivable they started sifting through the apps before the winter break..

Good luck to you! I hope we get good news soon :)

This isn't about Chapel Hill, but i know how you feel about finding things out in January. Emory starts contacting people for interviews that day after MLK Day, so I'll know VERY soon if I'm even a contender there. I know it's a long shot to begin with, but I'm surprised this anxiety is starting already since I just finished my last application last night.

;k;lakjs;lkdjf;lkjaksjd;lkfjkajsl;kdjf I wasn't planning on hearing back from them so soon!!! I had made my predicted notification chart (which is hanging above me on my desk) based solely on last year. Ohhhhhhhh, my gosh. Now I have reason to freak out. Chapel Hill was one of the schools I thought I might have had a decent shot at. Now I'm a bundle of insecure nerves. Going to throw up now. Just kidding. Kind of.

I applied to the comp lit program; it seems that most programs begin notifying accepted applicants early, in January, sometimes February. So, if March rolls around and you haven't heard anything, then you can fairly assume that you will be receiving a generic rejection letter. However, the process does vary from year to year.

I applied and did not get into Northwestern last year: they started notifying accepted students very early in January; I (and others) were officially rejected in February and early March.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapel Hill does indeed offer tuition remission!

From the Chapel Hill graduate FAQ:

We offer various funding opportunities for first-year doctoral students: merit fellowships from the Graduate School, departmental research assistantships, internships in our SITES lab for instructional technology, positions as graders, and (for those entering with prior college composition experience) teaching fellowships. In most cases, these funding packages offer a minimum of $14,700 per year as a living stipend and also include tuition remission and health insurance. After the first year in the program, all doctoral candidates are funded through teaching fellowships, which are renewable annually for at least five years, and in certain cases six years. Teaching fellowships also include tuition remission and health insurance.