Any Chapel Hill-ers?

Chapel Hill does indeed offer tuition remission!

From the Chapel Hill graduate FAQ:

We offer various funding opportunities for first-year doctoral students: merit fellowships from the Graduate School, departmental research assistantships, internships in our SITES lab for instructional technology, positions as graders, and (for those entering with prior college composition experience) teaching fellowships. In most cases, these funding packages offer a minimum of $14,700 per year as a living stipend and also include tuition remission and health insurance. After the first year in the program, all doctoral candidates are funded through teaching fellowships, which are renewable annually for at least five years, and in certain cases six years. Teaching fellowships also include tuition remission and health insurance.

Now I'm back to really hoping I get in. ARGGHHH!

I'm an applicant of the English Ph.D program as well, FWIW the first acceptance notification for 2011 (on the survey, FWIW) was Feb. 21st, for 2010 Jan. 24th. Hard to gauge from that when they'll start sending out acceptances.

Chapel Hill definitely one of the harder programs to get in that I've applied to, and from what I can tell it's more competitive than many higher-ranked schools. That being said, I'm a huge Tar Heel fan and many of the professors, especially Dr. Flaxman with respect to my interests, seem like extremely interesting professors to learn from.

• 3 weeks later...

Where are these acceptances "going up"? I feel like the kid who's sitting on the isolated lunch table... is there a website where they announce acceptances?

Aw, haha. Yes! There's a results board! On the top menu where it says "Results Survey." Search "English" to watch all the action unfold. Although, you may want to spare yourself, I now can't help but refresh hourly...

Edited by impending

Aw, haha. Yes! There's a results board! On the top menu where it says "Results Survey." Search "English" to watch all the action unfold. Although, you may want to spare yourself, I now can't help but refresh hourly...

WTF. They DO that to us??? SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!?!?!?! This is not okay. This kind of psychological torture is illegal!

You only refresh hourly? I spent my office hours today with my e-mail up on one side of the screen and the results refreshing every five minutes or so on the other. Fare thee well productivity.

http://thegradcafe.c...x.php?q=english

& the acceptance doesn't really specify...

It says rhet/comp, so must be English.

You only refresh hourly? I spent my office hours today with my e-mail up on one side of the screen and the results refreshing every five minutes or so on the other. Fare thee well productivity.

Yeah, that's really closer to what I do as well. More like I start to get anxious if I can't refresh for more than an hour... I didn't want to scare spasticlitotes too much.

Edited by impending

Congrats, Bdon! You've got three options now and I've got two in a single day. God, this whole process is draining and wonderful at the same time, isn't it?

Edit: As a formerly despairing applicant (until about 1:00 today), the part about this being wonderful is just for the lucky ones. Too many applicants are going to end up thinking this process is just draining and terrible.

Edit 2: I write this with far too much liquor in my system. Celebration drinking, however, is infinitely better than despair drinking. I wonder if the hangover will be more pleasant as well?

Edited by MichaelK

It wasn't me (I'm just putting mine up now), but I got accepted to UNC this evening! Official acceptance letters haven't yet gone out, but I was nominated for a fellowship from the graduate school, so perhaps some admits will come later? Good luck to everyone!! :)

Congrats, bdon!! :)

It wasn't me (I'm just putting mine up now), but I got accepted to UNC this evening! Official acceptance letters haven't yet gone out, but I was nominated for a fellowship from the graduate school, so perhaps some admits will come later? Good luck to everyone!! :)

Congrats - that's awesome, bdon!

Bdon, are you keeping your schools in alphabetical order within categories? If so, that's awesome, too! :)