Any Chapel Hill-ers?

It wasn't me (I'm just putting mine up now), but I got accepted to UNC this evening! Official acceptance letters haven't yet gone out, but I was nominated for a fellowship from the graduate school, so perhaps some admits will come later? Good luck to everyone!! :)

Congratulations! That's fantastic.

You only refresh hourly? I spent my office hours today with my e-mail up on one side of the screen and the results refreshing every five minutes or so on the other. Fare thee well productivity.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this at work. I minimize my gmail, and, when it shows I have mail, I maximize like a spaz only to find it's another Groupon offer. Damn.

Woo hoo! Bdon, are you wanting to work with Thompson? One of the best teachers I've ever had.

Oh, this is great to know! I did talk a lot about Thompson in my SOP!

Bdon, are you keeping your schools in alphabetical order within categories? If so, that's awesome, too! :)

Bahaha, yes, I definitely am! I like to think it keeps me from getting too attached to any one school. It definitely keeps me from obsessing over my motivations for putting one before another! Hahaha

Oh, this is great to know! I did talk a lot about Thompson in my SOP!

Bahaha, yes, I definitely am! I like to think it keeps me from getting too attached to any one school. It definitely keeps me from obsessing over my motivations for putting one before another! Hahaha

I understand - my mind works in the same way. I was looking at your great options and wondering if you had a preference, yet. Then I noticed the alphabetical order and guessed that you were keeping your options neutral at this point. hahaha!

I just saw the UNC wait list posting go up--congrats and best of luck to the poster! I was hoping to hear this week, but unfortunately UNC might be one to cross off the list. Did you hear from them today (Saturday)?

Hi JoJo, I'm the second UNC wait list post for today. Yes, I received an email this morning from the DGS. It seems wait-listers are also invited to the open house weekend so I might find myself in Chapel Hill in March :)

Damn, I applied to UNC Chapel Hill for the PhD in English, but according to ya'll above it seems as if they've sent out their acceptances and wait-lists. I haven't heard anything.. No news is bad news?

I understand - my mind works in the same way. I was looking at your great options and wondering if you had a preference, yet. Then I noticed the alphabetical order and guessed that you were keeping your options neutral at this point. hahaha!

Why did your post get voted down? :angry: I voted it back to neutral for you. Hahaha I thought it was a good observation! I'm really, really trying to keep neutral, but there are many things about Chapel Hill that are really, really starting to appeal to me!

Why did your post get voted down? :angry: I voted it back to neutral for you. Hahaha I thought it was a good observation! I'm really, really trying to keep neutral, but there are many things about Chapel Hill that are really, really starting to appeal to me!

I don't know what that was about, but thanks for voting the post up to make it neutral! And congrats - UNC looks like a great program!

Damn, I applied to UNC Chapel Hill for the PhD in English, but according to ya'll above it seems as if they've sent out their acceptances and wait-lists. I haven't heard anything.. No news is bad news?

It definitely seems that way. :(

It definitely seems that way. :(

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm gong to get rejected from all 12. I have NO plan B and NO idea what I will do with my life if I don't get into graduate school... :(

ekant, so I take it that anyone that hasn't heard anything is rejected?

Rupert, I'm assuming so. I e-mailed them and asked about when we might hear decisions and this was Dr. Thrailkill's response:

Eian- Thank you for your email; I know it's a time of great anxiety. The decisions will be registered with UNC Graduate School early this week, and they will then alert applicants. I'm afraid the GS is on their own timeline... I hope it will be speedy, for everyone's sake. I can however tell you that, while the committee admired your application, we were not able to offer you a spot in the incoming class of 2012. I am very, very sorry about this. Please know we had over 400 applicants for 12 spots--we could have filled the class five times over with wonderful, accomplished students like yourself. I am sorry for this disappointing news, and wish you luck with other programs. Best, Prof. Thrailkill.

Like I said, very kind and understanding e-mail. Still a bit of a bummer, though.

You're welcome, Rupert. Right? That's an insane acceptance rate... That's nearly 3%.

My application at Ohio State is still "in review" also... I'm getting nervous about that one as well.

I heard they have sent out some acceptances, but I also see that they sent out a bunch of rejections too.

Thus, I'm kind of sort of weirdly content with "in review."

That's an insane acceptance rate... That's nearly 3%.

Wow. That acceptance rate almost makes me feel like a jerk, just because I feel like I slipped through the cracks or something.

On another note, though, Prof. Thrailkill is really cool. I wish my rejections could have been as nice as that. UNC has been so personal and accommodating through this entire process. I really, really like the vibe I'm getting from them.

CH received 403 applications for English and Comp Lit for Fall 2012. Emails have gone out to all admitted and wait listed applicants. Hard copy letters are forthcoming to those same applicants. We really do admit a number of applicants from the wait list. And we really are nice!