Subject Scores Transmission Frustration

I transmitted my GRE scores before my GRE Subject score was available. For schools which required the subject score, I just clicked the box that indicated I wanted it sent and made the assumption that when the score became available, it would be sent. Apparently, that isn't so.

My reports were sent on the 9th of Nov, the subject score became available on the 12th was never sent. Am I the only one who assumed that if I requested the score be sent, that they would send it when it became available? I now need to spend more money and hope that the schools will still accept the scores.

Edited by WellSpring

Gotta love ETS.

The schools I requested my subject score sent to on the 'official' registration form were sent. However, the last time I took the general (pre-subject), I selected both g and s for a few schools, and the s scores were not sent to those selections. I'm actually quite relieved--I foolishly selected a school that does not require the score, and trust me, I don't want them to see it!

I can't believe half of the shit ETS gets away with. This is awful and I'm really sorry. There must be some way for you to get a refund, or partial refund, or at least have the scores sent free of charge. What do the kind, tenderhearted folks at ETS have to say about this?

I don't usually post, but I read the forum and saw this topic and realized how screwed I was. I called ETS and they said that because the subject score wasn't available on 11/25, when I had score reports sent out, then I didn't have a score to send; therefore, they sent nothing. Ergo, they want another $50 to send subject scores to all the places I want that I thought I had sent scores to already. I got furious and asked them why they didn't make this more clear on their website; they said it was clear (albeit in the most microscopic letters below the score report screen). What a racket.

They did something similar to me last year and tried to get me to pay for four more reports. I just kept on them, kept escalating the issue, and kept track of how many "managers" were supposed to call be back and never did. In the end, they caved and I didn't have to pay the extra, but it was a real fight. This, however, was nothing compared to the testing facility / conditions in which I took the test -- that was the real joke.

Edited by truckbasket

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this epiphany, but humanities grad programs should really just eliminate the use of the GRE. I'd much rather go through the agony of preparing and submitting two writing samples, something that is at least a direct indicator of my future scholarly potential. It sure beats the arbitrary agony of a four-hour torture session detecting whether I can compose banal responses to banal prompts and can correctly apply the formula for the volume of a cylinder while trapped in a setting combining the best of cubicle culture and detention facilities.

Can I just say, I got my subject test score back today, and apparently I didn't spend the last five years studying English Literature. Maybe I'm really a Physics major who accidentally took the English Lit subject test. That would explain my score somewhat. Thank goodness that score was only required at one out of my four programs.

Edited by antecedant

WellSpring, I fear I am in the same boat. I ordered score reports back in October requesting they send both General and Subject. My subject scores were not out yet because I wasn't taking it until November 12, but I ASSUMED ETS would wait until both were scores ready before sending the report.

This is absolute madness.

How did you find out that the scores had been sent without the subject test scores? On my ETS page, I can't figure out if they've been sent or not, much less which ones they may have chosen to include.

I'm in a swivet now because I'd thought I'd had everything settled with my applications, and now it appears I do not.

And there is no way I am paying for more score reports. That is utter B*S*. I can't believe I've spent $23 a pop and now they haven't even sent the complete package.

nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! I am probably in the same position then! :( I still don't have my subject test score -- I think it comes out tomorrow. Not excited about finding out. :(

Thing is, I don't have the energy to fight them on this. I suppose that's how they make their money.

I was on the same boat with you guys. I sent the scores to the universities twice. But I had no problem with it since they were for free. Had they told us earlier, I could've sent the first score reports (General test only) to those not requiring the subject test.

I just got off the phone with ETS. The representative told me I would have to pay $23 again for each of my twelve schools. Nothing doing, I told her; Let me speak to someone superior to you. She told me someone is to call me back, which I do not believe will happen. I am not sure what my next step will be.

And F.Y.I. to my fellow November 12 test takers, the representative told me our scores should be available to view online as of tomorrow, 23 December.

I think the whole "we'll call you back" is part of the racket because they know that we are on deadlines. We don't have time to wait.

Also, I think the only way to find out what schools have actually received subject test scores is to call them and ask them. They gave me a list (which didn't include half the schools I expected it to).

I am beyond frustration and trying to merely accept the abuse as part of a hazing process?

PROPOSAL: A system wherein we self-report GRE scores and once accepted, then we have to send the official scores. Like the transcript, who would dare lie knowing full well that if he/she got in because of that lie, you'd lose the offer when it became clear that there had been dishonesty? And that way we aren't dumping hundreds of dollars into a rather abusive system.

Edited by WellSpring

So i've applied to 6 schools so far and did some checking, and not ONE of them has gotten my GREs which were sent weeks ago. Sweet.

Does anyone know if the first name makes a difference? Like, on my GRE score reports, my first name is listed as Joe, whereas on my apps my name is listed as "Joseph." Could this explain it? And do yall recommend calling ETS or the schools first?

I guess I would recommend calling ETS, even though they are like drones. My representative was able to tell me that my scores had been sent to my schools, but they were sent blank. She literally told me they sent a score report that listed my name, test date, subject test name, and a blank field for the score and percentile.

I am angry at myself for not having foreseen how moronic ETS would be about this, but it just SEEMED obvious to me that they would wait until the score was ready before sending the report. It never in a million years would have occurred to me that they would send a blank report. The representative on the phone made me feel like an idiot, saying "Well that's what you get for sending in score reports before there are scores to report." In other words, I am punished for being on top of things. I told her their system made it seem like the scores would automatically be sent to the schools I listed once they were available. She told me I was "irresponsible" to have assumed that.

And still no call back from her supervisor who was supposed to talk with me about getting out of paying twice for score reports.

I am boiling at ETS, but right now I am trying to keep calm long enough to get this sorted out.

After this is done, I want to find some good muckraking journalists to help me prod ETS and expose this racket.

PROPOSAL: A system wherein we self-report GRE scores and once accepted, then we have to send the official scores. Like the transcript, who would dare lie knowing full well that if he/she got in because of that lie, you'd lose the offer when it became clear that there had been dishonesty? And that way we aren't dumping hundreds of dollars into a rather abusive system.

The potential problem with this system is that the GRE scores are used for the initial cuts (in some programs*). So as the GRE restricts many excellent applicants from even getting a shot at admission, a degree of number-fudging or 'estimating' -- just to get the application reviewed -- would surely occur. And of course this might be remedied by instant disqualification if the official scores don't line up, but it causes a huge headache for the committee as the final rounds and eventual offers take some seriously herculean finagling. The only way I could see this system happening is that you're called to report your scores late Jan if you make it into final selections, but that creates all kinds of false hopes. And besides, this is how ETS makes their money. If you look into their history (I researched and wrote an article on them a few years ago), they've monopolized academia over the years and situated themselves as the holy grail of admission screening. It's a lucrative business model that provides an effective service to its clients (admission committees) by swiftly allowing them to cut their workload, but royally fucks over potential students in the process.

* UCI, for example, who told me that my 92nd percentile verbal might "keep my application from getting into the hands of the committee."

Hi guys! I'm a lurker but signed up for a username JUST to reply to this thread because ETS is a turd. The same thing happened to me, and I got them to send my subject test score without paying, mostly because it was only for 1 school, but hopefully this information will be at least somewhat helpful to everyone who's in the same boat.

I swear that when I ordered my score report, the system presented me with two options: the usual "Send Currently Available Scores" and another that I can't remember verbatim but was something along the lines of "Hold Report Until All Scores Are Available." I know I wasn't totally hallucinating because my bf remembered, independently of me, seeing this as well.

So, I called ETS and insisted again and again that I had selected the second option, and it went something like this:

CSR: What you're talking about does exist, but there's no way you could have had that option because your order was placed under your general test, not your subject test. The only way we hold your reports is if you order them under the test that is not yet available.

Me: That doesn't make any sense. I just signed in through MyGRE and was taken to the order form. I was not given the option of ordering under a particular test. If you say this option exists, and I couldn't possibly have seen it, then how do I know about it. You certainly don't provide any details online.

This is the abridged version, of course, but that argument did the trick for me. They either just got tired of arguing or figured they should be nice since it's Christmas. Maybe some of you saw the "second option" like I did. Hope this will help you guys get at least some of your scores sent for free. Good luck!

This is the abridged version, of course, but that argument did the trick for me. They either just got tired of arguing or figured they should be nice since it's Christmas. Maybe some of you saw the "second option" like I did. Hope this will help you guys get at least some of your scores sent for free. Good luck!

When they pulled the same kind of shit on me, the only thing that worked was continual calling and escalating the calls. I just kept on calling them out about how they said they'd return calls and didn't. And by the end of the week, the last person I spoke with (some kind of manager) cut me off, set the phone down, and shouted to the person who originally answered the call, "just give him what he wants." You can only run a scam so far before somebody will call you out on it, so I'd suggest just keep calling them out unless time is a huge issue or you've got money to burn.

This is what it says on the ETS webpage when ordering score reports, and I quote:

"Score reports for a future scheduled test date will be mailed when scores for that test date are available"

I brought this sentence to the attention of the representative I was speaking with. She tried to argue what the definition of "that" was in the sentence---I'm not kidding! It was absolutely insane. She kept putting me on hold to talk with her supervisor, and all they could offer was to send three of my score reports for free, but I would have to pick up the tab for the additional seven reports. I angrily got off the phone, tired of fighting with them.

Then my phone rings again. The representative is back on the line apologizing, saying they were looking at the wrong "profile," and my subjects scores had indeed been sent to all my schools. Beg pardon?

Now I am not sure what to do. Do I believe the representative that they actually sent my scores? I have looked on my applications for schools and all the departments say they received a Subject Test score report---but how can I be sure it's not a blank one? I've tried emailing and ringing up departments, but everyone seems to be off for the holidays already.

I am wondering if the representative is trying to play with my head and sabotage me by telling me they sent the score reports when, in reality, they still haven't. I know that sounds paranoid, but these people are scary.

I guess I would recommend calling ETS, even though they are like drones. My representative was able to tell me that my scores had been sent to my schools, but they were sent blank. She literally told me they sent a score report that listed my name, test date, subject test name, and a blank field for the score and percentile.

That is so mind-numbingly stupid and absurd that I am actually laughing out of disbelief.

Just reading this thread is making my blood boil. I think (hope/pray) I was superstitious enough to wait to order my additional score reports until I called and found out my scores were ready by paying that #$&@! $12 fee. I'm imagining that all the dept offices are closed for the holidays now so there's no point in me calling around to ask--since of course only some of the schools actually list the materials like GREs and transcripts when you go to look at your application status. URGH.

Seriously, someone needs to take ETS down. I'm with whoever suggested getting a muckracking journalist on their trail. It worked with Sallie Mae, right??

Hope everything works out for all of us, especially those of you who already know that ETS screwed you over. BAH HUMBUG.

Edited by bespeckled

I don't know what to tell you bespeckled. The first two reps I spoke with said that scores for the 12 November subject test will show up online tomorrow. Until then, they said any score report requested would be sent blank. (Rather defeats the purpose of a score report, eh?) They explicitly told me to wait until tomorrow, 23 December, to request score reports for the 12 November test.

The third representative, however, told me my subject scores have indeed been sent to all my schools already, that they were sent out five days ago.

And I just got into a long Google black hole about ETS criticism, how they are supposedly a "non-profit" but rake in about $900million per annum and have a CEO obsessed with expanding their test-taking markets to elementary and pre-schools now (because their revenues from SAT and GRE just aren't enough, it seems).

This process is driving me insane.

I don't know what to tell you bespeckled. The first two reps I spoke with said that scores for the 12 November subject test will show up online tomorrow. Until then, they said any score report requested would be sent blank. (Rather defeats the purpose of a score report, eh?) They explicitly told me to wait until tomorrow, 23 December, to request score reports for the 12 November test.

The third representative, however, told me my subject scores have indeed been sent to all my schools already, that they were sent out five days ago.

And I just got into a long Google black hole about ETS criticism, how they are supposedly a "non-profit" but rake in about $900million per annum and have a CEO obsessed with expanding their test-taking markets to elementary and pre-schools now (because their revenues from SAT and GRE just aren't enough, it seems).

This process is driving me insane.

Seriously? This makes no sense, because the official score reports (that I ordered with the test) says that they were sent out/reported on December 10th (for the Nov 12th test). After I saw that those were sent out, I ordered my additional score reports. In fact, it didn't allow me to select the scores from that date until then (online). Whoever is telling you that they are sending them out blank until tomorrow is either very wrong, or ETS is evil and on future re-applications I will only apply to schools that do not require the subject test. Because, really, all this extra trouble is ridiculous.

So... wait ... how do you all know that the subject test scores weren't sent? Does it say on your applications with particular schools or on your My GRE profile? I can't see anything to indicate that mine weren't received, but I did request reports before my score was available.

ETS sucks, &c. Let's take them down once we get through all this. Fingers crossed for everyone :)