Low energy

caffeinerd

Hi all,

Question. What do you all do to increase your energy as a grad student? Lately I just feel so, so tired. It's not a normal tired that some extra sleep or a latte can take care of, but rather a deep feeling of exhaustion that I just cannot seem to shake. I'm talking yawning-on-the-elliptical kind of tired, day in and day out. I seem to feel most alert at about 8-9am, after I've showered and made my way to school to start the day and everything. But by the time 1-2pm rolls around, I start to feel beyond exhausted again, and it lasts all evening, making productivity difficult.

I have, of course, tried routine exercise and good eating habits. I evaluated what I REALLY eat on a regular basis and I seem to have a relatively healthy diet, such as little alcohol, tons of fruit/salad, no pop, etc. (though I could cut out generous amounts of coffee).

What should I do? I've been to the doctor and any blood tests they've taken are normal. Has anyone tried that b-12 under-the-tongue method for more energy? Is that just a fad?

Does anyone else feel this way? :(

Hi all,

Question. What do you all do to increase your energy as a grad student? Lately I just feel so, so tired. It's not a normal tired that some extra sleep or a latte can take care of, but rather a deep feeling of exhaustion that I just cannot seem to shake. I'm talking yawning-on-the-elliptical kind of tired, day in and day out. I seem to feel most alert at about 8-9am, after I've showered and made my way to school to start the day and everything. But by the time 1-2pm rolls around, I start to feel beyond exhausted again, and it lasts all evening, making productivity difficult.

I have, of course, tried routine exercise and good eating habits. I evaluated what I REALLY eat on a regular basis and I seem to have a relatively healthy diet, such as little alcohol, tons of fruit/salad, no pop, etc. (though I could cut out generous amounts of coffee).

What should I do? I've been to the doctor and any blood tests they've taken are normal. Has anyone tried that b-12 under-the-tongue method for more energy? Is that just a fad?

C--

Do you have feelings of sadness, of emptiness, and/or depression? Do you feel like you could easily sleep for twelve or more hours? If so, you might consider going to the student health center and taking advantage of what ever counseling services it may offer. Or, if you don't like the thought of others being in your head, you might join a support group after you vet it very carefully.

Else, and brace yourself for this suggestion, you might try cutting back on the Joe.

Hi all,

Sounds like burnout to me.

Even though I'm an undergrad, this effect typically happens to me around the middle to end of the semester.

One question. Have you looked at the amount of sleep you've been getting per night? If your getting less then 8-9 hours( alot easier said then done) that could be part of your problem.

Edited by Kevin1990

Are you still in classes/finals at this point? If so and even if you just finished it can take a little while to decompress from the stress of everything. The last few weeks of the semester started to really take their toll on me. I was just tired all of the time. Work, finals, papers, getting adjusted to a new everything...the whole bit. It kind of just hit towards the end there and I was absolutely exhausted, drained basically. It took a good 4 days of doing nothing during the first week of break for the stress to really evaporate. You really need to give yourself a break as soon as you can...a few days to just take it easy and catch up on sleep.

Grad school can be very mentally exhausting- just because it never seems to stop. Unlike undergrad, there really aren't any breaks.

What I've found to be the most helpful is to make sure that I'm taking time *off* from work. Not just time where I'm not working, but time where I'm really trying hard to not think about school, and let myself really relax. Whether it's watching a good movie, going out with friends, reading something light and enjoyable, or cooking, or whatever you find really relaxing and enjoyable.

C-- Do you have feelings of sadness, of emptiness, and/or depression? Do you feel like you could easily sleep for twelve or more hours? If so, you might consider going to the student health center and taking advantage of what ever counseling services it may offer. Or, if you don't like the thought of others being in your head, you might join a support group after you vet it very carefully. Else, and brace yourself for this suggestion, you might try cutting back on the Joe.

You know, kinda. I can sleep for 12 hours or sleep for 5 and still feel the same oppressive exhaustion no matter what. I've been on break from university recently and getting plenty of sleep--granted, I don't have work to bog me down right this very second--but I still do not feel any less dreadfully tired.

And I really should cut back on my coffee. I just love it though! :) Maybe decaf.

Sounds like burnout to me. Even though I'm an undergrad, this effect typically happens to me around the middle to end of the semester. One question. Have you looked at the amount of sleep you've been getting per night? If your getting less then 8-9 hours( alot easier said then done) that could be part of your problem.

I wish. I do not believe it's burnout because this hasn't been happening to me just lately, but for some time now.

And wow--I sure do not get 8-9 hours of sleep a night during school session. I have been doing great with my rest over break (maybe a little too great--hee). Time management and procrastination are actually not my enemies; but I get more like 6 a night when in school. Usually more on the weekends. I just feel like I have SO much more to do at night because I wasn't able to be as productive as I wanted during the day... BECAUSE of the feeling so tired. It's a vicious cycle, seriously!

You really need to give yourself a break as soon as you can...a few days to just take it easy and catch up on sleep.

I love that you all support my napping :) Like I said I have been good about resting over my break but I'm back to the grind in a week or so and I'm afraid I'll be back to square one soon. Please do not think I am contradicting any advice given here; it's greatly appreciated.

I do hate to echo so many posts on here about the dreaded grad school exhaustion like I'm the only one (I really hope I'm not coming off like that!). But, the difference is that I do not bounce back later. And it makes me feel sad because there are husbands/dads, wives/moms at my school who SURELY have so much more on their plate than I do, and are seemingly performing better. I don't have a mortgage, marriage, or children to worry me, distract me, or otherwise prevent me from getting work done. I should not be this tired after getting HOURS of sleep! There does not seem to be anything physically wrong with me. I just don't know where to begin. :'(

Afternoon power nap of 30 minutes. Seriously, there's nothing wrong with taking a siesta in the middle of the day. Alternately, dedicate 1 hour in the middle of the day to not focusing on work before shifting back into work for the rest of the afternoon. Oh, and 6 hours of sleep really isn't enough.

Totally understand, I have the same problem with energy. Of course, there are obvious things that help: regular gym session, yoga/swimming, seriously cutting back on sugar and caffeine, and staying really well hydrated -- always have a bottle of water with you. Otherwise, make sure you're getting a change of scene every now and then. Try taking up an activity that gets you out of the house and thinking in a different way (highly recommend horses, though it's difficult to find them in urban areas :( )

good luck :)

Make sure there is nothing medically wrong with you. Especially since you mention a different-from-normal kind of tired, there are medical conditions that can cause that - not only vitamins and iron deficiencies. Feeling tired can be a symptom of serious illness or depression but also of e.g. certain hormone deficiencies or problems with the actual process of sleep. If you've been tested, like others have said burnout is a probable cause of the exhaustion you're feeling. The best thing you can do for that is simply take some time off to rest and recover. I won't repeat what others have said except to say I agree with the advice, especially taking a break and also resting during the day. I'd also suggest for you to keep a work/sleep log. It can become very difficult to keep track of your sleep and work schedules over time. Having that information can help you discover patterns in your productivity and level of tiredness that could help you adjust your schedule. It's not only about how many hours you sleep, it's also about when, and in addition how much you work. You might discover that less work but at better chosen times is more productive than spending whole days being frustrated in the office but too tired to really work. This is a serious concern and you shouldn't be afraid to decide that you need to stop completely for a week or two, or if that's not possible then do the bare minimum and spend the rest of the time recovering. In the long run, it'll be worth it.

I would definitely incorporate exercise. Id also try meditation and/or prayer. The mental exercise has great physical benefits too. Try some other activities that are rejuvenating-- go for walks, paint a picture, pick out a song to play on the piano. Sounds like more than just lack of sleep. I also take supplements. I do juicing, vitamin B, fish oil, and other things. I can give you more specifics if you want-- just message me. Hope you feel better soon!

• 1 month later...

I would also mention a sleep disorder. I too, for about 5 years, could sleep 14 hours or sleep 5 and feel the same amount of sleepiness. Turns out I had two different sleep disorders. Finding that out and being treated for those can extremely improve your tiredness.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bout of that as an undergrad. As it turns out, the adrenal system can only be pushed so hard - eventually it can no longer keep up, and while you might be subclinical, you'll still be sluggish and tired. Caffeine helps temporarily, but only makes it worse in the long run.

You might consider doing a hard reset - take a week off, hide the coffee machine, and sleep as much as you please.

[Edit: I see you're doing that. But seriously, try going off caffeine for a week or two...it might help. (I'm not off the stuff entirely, but I don't drink nearly as much.)]

Edited by BlueRose