Harvard Admit WTF

newleaf

Hey team

I looked at the results section and someone already got an offer from Harvard? I didn't apply so im not so anxious about it, but school just opened today over there. Does that mean the committee met over the break and will be calling people this week? I find this suspicious, mostly since applications take time to get sorted, etc. OP, want to come out of the acceptance closet and update us?

That's insane! My Harvard app was also due on the 31st so this topic made me freak out a little. I hadn't yet even called them to check if my application was complete!

Yeah SNES (for the applicants' sakes) someone should call it in to confirm its false. Its just giving me anxiety. I was dealing w UCLA today, and was told "they're sort of starting to look at files", inducing another huge W T F.

It doesn't make any sense... They are just starting to look at the applications... The process will probably take (at least) a month to be over... So, probably only mid-Feb they (including other schools) will start to make any movements... Late Feb/Early March would be my educated guess.

Schools don't always wait until the deadline to flip through apps- if someone noticed an application (or had been corresponding with someone) that they really wanted early on, they might have offered an acceptance as soon as the committee got together, or passed their application around to the others.

It depends on the school, but not all schools keep their applications locked away from the adcom until they're all in.

Believe the results page. It might make you feel better to think it's a lie if they don't post here but most people never come on the forums. Why would someone lie? Not saying it's impossible for someone to lie, just saying it's not very likely and don't assume they lie because they don't post here.

Armadilla, actually no. My field of interest is Business (Finance). I bumped into this discussion due to the Harvard topic (it's one of the schools I'm most interested in). I'm afraid we get a "little bit" crazy and anxious during the waiting period... lol

Sorry people from my program uses this site so I can't which one it is but I know my program does. They actually look at every app as it comes in.

For PhD? That's really unique, I can't say I've ever heard of a program that does that. Im simply curious now, does anyone else know of programs that do this?

I'm not in anthro but, when I applied to MA programs (with funding), I had two acceptances before the end of January, and those were Jan 1 deadlines. For PhD programs, I had an acceptance at the beginning of Feb from a program with a Jan 15 deadline. What I'm saying is that not everyone meets as a full committee to make acceptances. Sometimes people are admitted before everyone sits down, but that isn't the case for every program.

I can't speak to the veracity of programs admitting students right after the deadline---I guess that some do. Nonetheless, I spoke with the chair of the committee and he told me that Harvard wouldn't be reviewing until later in the month, so any acceptances before then are bogus. Also, I just looked and the result that sparked this discussion has been taken down.

Which anthro program? Wasn't the deadline for evolutionary anthropology Dec 1? That is still a fast turnaround, though.

Their app was due on dec 30th or 31st...I'm just flabbergasted at the turnaround.

...Oops. I guess their "biological anthropology" program changed to "human evolutionary biology" so I guess that is probably not it.

Edited by rowlf