Chicago

My understanding is that some programs send out acceptance notifications to a first round of competitive applicants, some of whom will inevitably decline the offer for another school. The second batch of applicants are not necessarily "waitlisters" in the sense that they will never know that they were not considered as first-draft picks. (Well, with Grad Cafe, that illusion is dispensed with, I suppose.)They give a certain amount of time to the initial batch of applicants, say, until March or April 15th to accept or decline. Once some decline, AdComs move on to the second round of slightly less competitive applicants. Then a waitlist. I don't think every program operates this way but that seems to be how things are working out from my limited perspective.

In short, though this is distressing to one's ego, it nonethelss provides a reasonable hope for admission and funding.

My understanding is that some programs send out acceptance notifications to a first round of competitive applicants, some of whom will inevitably decline the offer for another school. The second batch of applicants are not necessarily "waitlisters" in the sense that they will never know that they were not considered as first-draft picks. (Well, with Grad Cafe, that illusion is dispensed with, I suppose.)They give a certain amount of time to the initial batch of applicants, say, until March or April 15th to accept or decline. Once some decline, AdComs move on to the second round of slightly less competitive applicants. Then a waitlist. I don't think every program operates this way but that seems to be how things are working out from my limited perspective.

In short, though this is distressing to one's ego, it nonethelss provides a reasonable hope for admission and funding.

This definitely makes since. And, really, I don't care what tier/list I'm on as long as they accept me...eventually.

This definitely makes since. And, really, I don't care what tier/list I'm on as long as they accept me...eventually.

Right? Welp, I wish you all the best. But yeah: I had a friend who was waitlisted at a UC all the way up to May! She's just finishing her dissertation and publishing three articles, five years later.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that I've also been accepted to Chicago and will attending the open house. All the faculty I've talked to so far have been incredibly enthusiastic and generous!

One professor told me that 24 out of the 25 students accepted have committed to attending the open house. Which means that, though we might not know who specifically will be in our cohort (if any of us pick Chicago!), we'll recognize some names and faces once we know the official cohort list. :)

Edited by girlmostlikely

Congrats, girlmostlikely! With 24 visitors, I'm sure the event will be a lively one! I look forward to meeting you and everyone else who has been accepted. Chicago ranks very high on my list of options right now, but I don't want to commit until I've heard from the rest of my prospective programs. The unlikely event of being admitted to Yale or UPenn may turn the tide, after all.