Rejected with a 3.9 GPA

SnowKat

Well, yes, I know, but it's still a little bit ridiculous. I've been in the work world for 5+ years in a non-education line of work, and I'm wondering what more I can do to improve. I've got the 3.9 GPA from a top-15 university, state awards in my profession, etc. I'm just thinking there's not much more I can do, since I am out of school.

Do you have any research experience? How good are your letters of recommendation? I assume this is for a PhD?

I've been in the work world for 5+ years in a non-education line of work, and I'm wondering what more I can do to improve.

All of my education professors have told me that the education field values practice/experience in the field over a 3.9 GPA. So, someone with excellent experience with a 3.0 GPA may have gotten in over you.

If you had a 3.9 GPA and 5+ Years in higher ed (your indicated interest area), you probably would have gotten in. Why are you interested in higher education now, since you haven't worked in the field for the last 5+ years? Did you explain that in your statement?

All of my education professors have told me that the education field values practice/experience in the field over a 3.9 GPA. So, someone with excellent experience with a 3.0 GPA may have gotten in over you.

If you had a 3.9 GPA and 5+ Years in higher ed (your indicated interest area), you probably would have gotten in. Why are you interested in higher education now, since you haven't worked in the field for the last 5+ years? Did you explain that in your statement?

Yep, this is true. If you were applying to a Chem program that 3.9 would win hands down, but in Ed experience is key. If this cycle doesn't pan out, you may consider getting some experience in Education (volunteer, intern, etc) to improve your app next season. It's early. Don't worry just yet.

Best of luck!!!

You may also want to take note that your SOP takes a huge precedence as well. ESPECIALLY for you considering you are not from an Ed background (although that won't hurt you technically), you are in a position to explain even further why Education is important to you, why you're passionate about what you are studying, and how this school and program would help you achieve your passions. Your co-applicants who are already in Education have at least half a foot in the door because they've been in the field for a little longer than you have. So the burning question everyone reviewing your apps would want to know is: "why the change?"

I come from a Biology background, so my SOP was key in my application. The professors who contacted me stated that it was my SOP that convinced them to contact me in the first place. Hope that helps some. Good luck on your other applications. :D

I concur- I have a relatively low GPA, but a LOT of experience. On my expererience alone I had professors and students communicating with me before I even turned in my application. I also agree with the others that you need a strong SOP. It is unfortunate that you were rejected, but if this is something you really want it is best to get experience in the field. Good luck!

Yep, this is true. If you were applying to a Chem program that 3.9 would win hands down, but in Ed experience is key. If this cycle doesn't pan out, you may consider getting some experience in Education (volunteer, intern, etc) to improve your app next season. It's early. Don't worry just yet.

Best of luck!!!

Actually, experience would trump for chemistry too.

From what I know, a vast majority of programs look at your most recent work. So let's say you've been out of school for a number of years, your GPA may not weigh as heavily as the things you've accomplished in more recent years. We're supposed to learn and grow from our experiences, so your grades, while awesome, may not hold as much value after a while.

I just wanted to add that master's programs in higher ed that fully fund their students can be very competitive. I don't know which program that you got rejected from-- but that could be what is going on. I do echo the other posters who stated that your SOP and relevant experience is valued more than GPA and GRE scores.

Edited by ZeChocMoose

No, it's just for a master's degree. I don't have research experience, but I'm not living in a place where I could acquire any, anyway. I thought I had pretty solid letters of recommendation. I'll get in somewhere; I'm just a little frustrated right now. I wasn't perfect in college, and my personal statement explained that, but it's like they don't even care.

What do you mean? There's research everywhere! I'm sure you could develop a research topic or find someone to collaborate with. Or maybe it would be difficult in your line of work...? Are there any community centers you could collaborate with?

Actually, experience would trump for chemistry too.

Good point. lol Not the best example since research experience is so important...

I guess the overall message is what hitomimay pointed out- you really have to communicate why you have the desire to go into education and address the lack of experience by highlighting your strengths and emphasizing fit in a really strong SOP.

--

Best of luck SnowKat!

Thank you. I was kind of an ass last night because I just got rejected. But, to explain, I live in a VERY rural location, so, really, there is no research to be done through a university. The nearest college is a five-hour drive. My personal statement did explain how the last few years out of school drove me to apply to a graduate program in higher education. Perhaps it focused on my weaknesses too much, but I tried to show how my weaknesses a few years ago have turned into strengths now. I do have an interview at another school that would fully fund me. I'm just stressed because I am not officially "in" anywhere, yet.

Re: the bolded part. That's perpetuating a huge myth (one which I myself also believed at the start of my grad school experience). I'm now in the 3rd year of my PhD in Education, and a lot of the research projects I've been involved in have been via online communication. I've done everything from conduct or transcribe participant interviews, to code and analyze data, to have skype meetings, to attend virtual conferences, to co-write papers with other education professionals, etc... all without leaving my office/home/geographical location. Yes, being able to get involved in education-related research is best done in person, but that definitely doesn't mean there aren't a ton of alternative ways to get involved - especially with all the communication technology we have access to these days! If you do end up getting more rejections (even with your 3.9 GPA), research experience in an education-related field is definitely something you can do to improve your cv before your next round of applications.

Edited by Andsowego

I have to disagree with several posters who suggested for you to seek out research experiences. If you were applying to a PhD that would be important, but since your aim is on the master's-- your best bet (assuming that you are unsuccessful this time around) is to rewrite your SOP to better explain why you wish to enter a career in higher ed admin and to seek out experiences in education whether that is through volunteering or what not. It doesn't need to be at an university. It can be with an organization that focuses on education, working with students at the local high school, etc.

FYI--It's really unusual for master's degree applicants in higher ed to have relevant research experience. Typically adcomms are more interested in the practical experiences that you are bringing with you and your interest in the field. Also some higher ed master's programs don't really focus much on the research-side of the field to begin with...

Just to note: a lot of people have suggested more "experience", but only a subset of those have specified "research experience".

The OP noted that she hasn't been involved in the field for 5 years, so she's not just lacking research experience, but practical experience as well.

Just to note: a lot of people have suggested more "experience", but only a subset of those have specified "research experience".

The OP noted that she hasn't been involved in the field for 5 years, so she's not just lacking research experience, but practical experience as well.

Yup, that is why I wrote "several" and not "all." If you reread my post, I also suggested practical experience as well.

Yeah, and my SOP was pretty much all about my lack of practical experience and how I REALLY want to get it through particular higher ed programs that require assistantships for their students.

For future reference, according to the Harvard's Graduate School of Education Admissions anyway, I wouldn't point out your weaknesses in the SOP. Your lack of practical experience or whatever other shortcomings are evident in your application, recommendations, transcripts, CVs... the paperwork says it all. When you point it out in your SOP, you're kind of digging a deeper hole for yourself. The SOP is your one and only chance to SHINE, not make excuses. There's an "Additional Information" section for that if you really want to write a short passage on why you lack experience. I asked them about that at a recruitment event, and they said don't do it. :)

All the same, I wish you the greatest luck this year. I hope you get into a wonderful program. :)

Edited by hitomimay

^ This. I am also curious which program rejected the OP. Some higher education master's programs emphasize different criteria. For instance, some programs are more research-intensive and other programs are more practice-intensive. If the OP tells us which program rejected them, then we can offer better suggestions for their future SOPs.

Edited by michigan girl

It was about how I was really timid in college, and how I had changed since graduating. But I have another one to write this weekend, so I will sell myself as wonderful. :-) Thank you!

^ This. I am also curious which program rejected the OP. Some higher education master's programs emphasize different criteria. For instance, some programs are more research-intensive and other programs are more practice-intensive. If the OP tells us which program rejected them, then we can offer better suggestions for their future SOPs.

It's my understanding that a SOP should be research-path focused. e.g., What you're interested in researching and why you're a good fit, possibly propose a course of methodology or a research site, etc. At the Master's level in Education, you aren't expected to nail down conceptual framework or exact theories immediately, but you really shouldn't talk about your personality traits (unless they are directly related to your proposed course of study and you can show how they will significantly enhance your proposed research). In a SOP, I would advise against writing about your own personal weaknesses (or even strengths for that matter... it should be more about how your skills/background match the proposed course of research). If you provide us with more info, we'll be in a better position to advise.

Edited by Andsowego

I do want to agree with Andsowego about having your SOP be research-focused and less about personality traits. I wanted to clarify, your previous actions and background should naturally express your positive personality traits, but you need not express them out-right.

For instance, you can mention how this event that you managed and directed made you really passionate about education (it implies leadership, dedication, responsibility...etc) but you shouldn't say "this event demonstrates leadership".

Note that your experiences should help explain why you want to be in education, but make it sound positive and promote you at the same time. :D Let me know how else we all can help. :D

I see a lot of advice here about gathering "research experience", but I question the efficacy of doing so if you are pursuing a Masters in Higher Education, especially given your geographic restrictions. The three big questions to address in your SOP are:

1) How do your strenghts line up with those of the program to which you are applying? (Be explicit! Mention possible advisors by name...do your homework!)

2) How will your experiences contribute to the learning community? (Again, be explicit!)

3) How will you use your degree in, say, five to ten years? (If it's mostly administrative, then research experience won't really be applicable.)

Be safe, and good luck!