M* applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

sacklunch

any idea where are the best liberation theology and ethics/aids/med-ethics programs in the realm of M* schools are in the states?

For liberation theology, I'd probably focus on Harvard or Union. Union has Dr. Kone (I believe he's still there, not sure if he teaches still), generally regarded as the founder of modern lib. theology - primarily dealing with it in an African focus. Union also has Dr. Dorrien who works within liberation theology a lot too. I believe Harvard has more of a Latin American focus but don't quote me on that.

For ethics, at least the kind you'd find at a Divinity School, which tends to be more religiously focused (or medical) - I'd say any school attached to a major university, particularly one with a graduate program in philosophy and a medical school, will provide you ample opportunities to study and research ethics. Harvard has extensive resources, as does Duke and Emory

Hey Divskool - actually your post in the chicago thread prompted me to post my question here. Thank you again for your awesome insight, it is much appreciated. I wanted to follow up with the FLAS scholarships/funding - do you know any general information about this...and how competitive these might be to receive? It seems like I would pursue a track geared towards one of these languages if there is a good chance for funding. Thanks again!

Hi dcrechie,

I can only speak for the Middle Eastern and South Asian languages with regards to FLAS - the competition is very different for each of the areas they cover, and funding varies from year to year. If you want more detailed info, just PM me.