M* applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

sacklunch

Well, I'll start us off I guess. I've so far been accepted to PTS and Duke, which happen to be my first two choices (in uncertain order). I've so far received an 80% grant from Princeton, but I'm still waiting on word from Duke regarding funding. Duke is so much more expensive than PTS, so without substantial funding, I'll probably end up in Princeton come fall. But there are just so many scholars at Duke I would be so thrilled to work under, especially Norman Wirzba, Ellen Davis, and Richard Hays. I really can't say the same for PTS.

I have offically submitted all of my applications for this season and I am no waiting to hear back. I submitted apps to CUA (MA/PHD early christian studies), Duke Divinty and Yale Divinity.

I haven't heard anything from the six schools applied.

I am curious, though, if anyone applied to U of Minnesota's MA in Religions in Antiquity? I ended up applying to it, but don't think anyone on here has mentioned it? It only admits a couple each year and offers full funding to each (plus stipend). Anyone?

Edit* I guess I will list the schools applied: ND MA ECS, Duke MA Religion (Jewish studies), Minnesota MA, Vandy MA Jewish studies), GTU MABL, Chicago AM.

Edited by jdmhotness

Oy vey! Just heard from Yale, got accepted to the MDiv! I'm super shocked, I thought that they didn't send out decisions until March??? I still won't get financial aid information until March 15, but it's crazy to hear so soon!

Also got acceptances last week from Candler and Princeton - no financial from Candler, but Princeton sent out need-based financial aid, and 80% for me too, RyanD.

Still waiting for Notre Dame for an MTS and Boston College for an MDiv. Won't hear from Notre Dame until the end of February, BC won't tell me when. Gonna be a long winter.

After scaling down my fairly massive list of graduate schools I only ended up only applying to three (hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me). I heard back from Candler last week. Still waiting on Boston University and Vanderbilt. Any idea when BU and Vanderbilt decisions will be made? Apparently the committee is meeting next week for Leadership Candler and I could hear back as soon as the 2nd of February. Whoever said it will be a long winter was spot on. I can't wait for the waiting process to be over. .

Anyone have a clue when Notre Dame generally sends out MTS/MDiv answers? Website says end of February - anyone have dates? I saw in the results survey that the PhDs in Religion have gotten their responses today/yesterday/last week... ya think we'll hear sooner?

February ain't a pretty month.

I suppose there's no way I am also special, huh JDM? ;) It doesn't seem like anything to be too excited about sadly; the MTS is already fully funded, correct? It seems to me that it was an automated response sent to those who fulfilled one of the three requirements for the fellowship on their app. (Although, I received a personal e-mail directly after I asked a question about the fellowship). I'll be excited when we all hear about acceptance... a round of beers on me if we all end up in South Bend, or if I see you in Durham, RyanD.

By the way, have you heard anything re: funding from Duke anyone?

Also, just, in general:

I'm starting to get super-freaked-out about this whole process/my chances of financial aid/going to graduate school/having a life. Seriously, it didn't hit at all until last week, but all of a sudden I've realized that HOLY SHAMOLIE what if no one gives me money??? What if I can't afford to go??? What if I forgot to fill out a form??? What if I forgot to reply to an e-mail and they gave me a black check mark because I am clearly unsuited for being a great person and they don't want me after all??? What if Princeton is grumpy that I asked for an extension and won't give me money??? What if Yale heard from Princeton that PTS is my fave school and now Yale won't give me money???

What if I Fail At Life???

These are the questions that keep me wide awake at 3am most mornings. Oy vey. Ready for this to be over already.

What if I Fail At Life???

Not getting a fully-funded spot in a top master's program on your first try is SO NOT failing at life. It's not even failing at grad school admissions! If you want this that badly, you cry, hang out with your good friends Ben and Jerry for a week, then find ways to improve your application (mostly SOP) for next year and try again. (I know, easy to say from the other side. Hush.)

Dude, there are entire mobs of people who consider being in graduate school to be failing at life. In my more cynical moments, I tend to agree with them. :P

You are an amazing, strong, lovely person and will continue to be so regardless of the outcome of this or any app cycle.

As regards your more specific questions:

1. If Yale comes back with no money, you go to them with "I have 80% funding from Princeton but I really like YDS. I'm wondering what you could do to help" or some such. I think this generally has more success on the PhD level, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

2. My understanding is that Notre Dame isn't even *thinking* about the MTS applications yet.

I guess that I just got spooked, seeing that some people in the Masters forum had heard from Notre Dame about fellowship stuff. This waiting is a little scary.

Thanks for the encouragment. I need to get out and go running more often - get those positive hormones boppin'! I

Anyone else have any coping mechanisms for the Long Wait? (I know, I know, this is a "Waiting it out" post, but I like the religion people...)

I guess that I just got spooked, seeing that some people in the Masters forum had heard from Notre Dame about fellowship stuff. This waiting is a little scary.

Thanks for the encouragment. I need to get out and go running more often - get those positive hormones boppin'! I

Anyone else have any coping mechanisms for the Long Wait? (I know, I know, this is a "Waiting it out" post, but I like the religion people...)

Many, many people receive that email. They only elect 6 a year and it's almost never an MA student, so no worries.

Notre Dame has not met yet for MTS decisions. You're all fine on that front. This is a silly process and it's a crapshoot. You've done all you can and worrying about it isn't going to change any decisions (for better or worse).