M* applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

sacklunch

My app for Yale was also priority filing as well! Maybe that made the difference? I have no idea.

The wait on Harvard is torture... ughhhh.

And congrats everyone on your acceptances as well! And for those who are still waiting - here's hoping! :D

Edited by MsSarahBOOM

Btw - have any of you started thinking about a PhD already? If so, I'm curious about something - most masters programs take 2 years to complete. Are the ones thinking about a PhD going to apply to start the fall right after graduation, or are you guys going to wait a year, apply, and start the following fall?

For instance, I would start Fall 2012 and graduate Spring 2014 - and I really want to get a PhD started right away for fall of 2014 - but that means when I apply, I'll only have a two-partially three (instead of all four) semesters under my belt... would it be smart to apply then? Or would it be premature?

Maybe I should just focus on my MA for now and worry about that later... but I am so ridiculously OCD - and having already wasted two years at beauty school (yes, I'm a beauty school drop-out, hahaha), I don't want to waste anymore.

Edited by MsSarahBOOM

Btw - have any of you started thinking about a PhD already? If so, I'm curious about something - most masters programs take 2 years to complete. Are the ones thinking about a PhD going to apply to start the fall right after graduation, or are you guys going to wait a year, apply, and start the following fall?

For instance, I would start Fall 2012 and graduate Spring 2014 - and I really want to get a PhD started right away for fall of 2014 - but that means when I apply, I'll only have a two-partially three (instead of all four) semesters under my belt... would it be smart to apply then? Or would it be premature?

Maybe I should just focus on my MA for now and worry about that later... but I am so ridiculously OCD - and having already wasted two years at beauty school (yes, I'm a beauty school drop-out, hahaha), I don't want to waste anymore.

I certainly have! I think most people on this board are headed for an MA/MTS are headed for a PhD as well from what I can tell. It's completely possible to transition immediately from a MA to a PhD, the only challenge is having professors write recommendations for you after just a year of schooling. I wouldn't worry about it though because professors should be well-accustomed with writing recommendations for the MA students, even if it's for an immediate transition after graduation.

As for myself, I will probably apply for admission in the immediate year following my graduation. I'd definitely say go for it and if it doesn't work out try again next year. A year off doesn't necessarily make any sense unless you need it to earn money for your PhD studies/living expenses. That is probably not necessary, though.

P.S. Everyone who dares to get an MA in religion is probably just as OCD as you are about planning ahead! No worries, we're all in this together. :)

Some of the best advice I got going into my MA program was to take classes with professors from whom I would want recommendations. Every professor who wrote me a letter for my Ph.D applications had me in my first year. Also, if you're taking a course that's large, 1) Do really well and 2) Figure out some way to stand out (which will probably relate back to 1).

Windfish – thank you for the advice! And the recommendations thing is very true… guess I’m gonna have to get chummy with the pros and get chummy fast. Teacher’s pet status, here I come!

By immediate year, do you mean graduate May and start Fall? Or graduate May and start next fall?

I guess the only reason I want to hurry up and do everything is because I want an actual career that I want to do! I am so sick of being an optician, haha!

And you are right, we are all def in this together!

LateAntique – so very true. Guess I’m gonna have to work extra, extra hard that that!

Hi :)

So I'm kind of new to these forums, and I just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone is maybe planning on going into the same general area as I am or applied to the same schools.

I've applied to U of T (M.A Religious Studies, M.A Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations), Queens (M.A Religion and Modernity), and Harvard Divinity Schools (M.T.S). I'll be focusing on how the Isra'iliyat may have helped influence certain interpretations in early Islam, with a possible focus on the prophet stories. Also I applied to some M.A programs for poll sci but those are more of my "safe" options that I hope I don't need to turn to.

The waiting to find out is pretty much making me loose my mind.

Good luck to everyone! :)

Windfish – thank you for the advice! And the recommendations thing is very true… guess I’m gonna have to get chummy with the pros and get chummy fast. Teacher’s pet status, here I come!

By immediate year, do you mean graduate May and start Fall? Or graduate May and start next fall?

I guess the only reason I want to hurry up and do everything is because I want an actual career that I want to do! I am so sick of being an optician, haha!

And you are right, we are all def in this together!

LateAntique – so very true. Guess I’m gonna have to work extra, extra hard that that!

I mean graduating in May and starting Fall of the same year (e.g. graduate May 2012, start PhD program August 2012).

I certainly understand the desire to enter the PhD as soon as possible; we aren't young forever!

I mean graduating in May and starting Fall of the same year (e.g. graduate May 2012, start PhD program August 2012).

I certainly understand the desire to enter the PhD as soon as possible; we aren't young forever!

Yes! That's exactly it! Well, that and I'm single at the moment... might as well get everything out of the way before I get caught up in the family stuff, hahaha.

So I just got my first letter.

Accepted into Vanderbilt for the MTS--offered 60% merit based scholarship.

I'm pretty excited that that's my first acceptance--but not so sure about that 60%. My goal for grad school is to go if and only if I can get funding. I'm not sure if 60% tuition is enough, especially with Vandy prices.

That being said, they still have need based aid I can apply for. But I don't know if that includes any grants--or just loans.

Just got of the phone with Duke admissions office. I called because I had not heard anything. They told I was accepted! Wonderful, just great! Actually I only applied to Duke, Mdiv and nothing else. Being international I will receive the real notice by postal service. I guess in a couple of days.

BTW. Nothing on funding. I was told decisions are not made yet.

Edited by PilgrimSWE

All acceptance letters in! Getting decent funding from Vanderbilt and Boston University. I won't know about Candler/Emory until after I interview next week. Fingers crossed on that. I'd love to be in Atlanta, but sadly it will come down to the money.

Has anyone heard back from Duke Divinity regarding the MTS?

I called them and they said we would be notified on or around March 15 if we met the February 1st deadline.

This is a frightening thought. Either way, I'm glad to see the finish line.

You don't think it'll be a load off just to get these responses in already, good or bad? I've been starting to get agitated waiting for it. Life is so flipping difficult to manage when stuff is up in the air like this.

You don't think it'll be a load off just to get these responses in already, good or bad? I've been starting to get agitated waiting for it. Life is so flipping difficult to manage when stuff is up in the air like this.

Yeah, that's what I meant - I'm super nervous about hearing the results, but man will I be happy to finally know - either way. I'll sleep better at night, that's for sure. I've just had my heart set on Notre Dame for so long, and I've know it's a long shot for so long, that I'm about ready to stop this "hopeless hoping" and at least have a chance to move on to consider my other options, if that's what it comes down to.

Early Gilmore Girls marathons seem to help, though... as well as Milky Way Minis.

Yeah, that's what I meant - I'm super nervous about hearing the results, but man will I be happy to finally know - either way. I'll sleep better at night, that's for sure. I've just had my heart set on Notre Dame for so long, and I've know it's a long shot for so long, that I'm about ready to stop this "hopeless hoping" and at least have a chance to move on to consider my other options, if that's what it comes down to.

Early Gilmore Girls marathons seem to help, though... as well as Milky Way Minis.

Hey now, at least you have some acceptances! I'm still waiting for 5 out of my 6! :'(