M* applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

sacklunch

well, since 2006 Notre Dame has sent out results on either the first or second Friday in March. It could be just a habit - but it seems to me that it'll probably be the same this year. But I am definitely not a ND expert by any stretch of the imagination.

I stayed on campus my first year and highly reccomend it. They're quite close to the buildings you'll be having classes in and helps foster a sense of community with the other students. Many of nights I was up until 2-3AM discussing material and just general chit chat with fellow students (in and out of my classes).

I moved off campus with some other students for the other two years.

I would... but finances is a huge issue for me right now :(. I just don't think I can afford on-campus housing.

If I go for the MARc (Hebrew Bible) at Yale, I will be living off campus, probably in East Rock. But, I'm married and we have a cat. So, the decision was pretty much made for me. If you have a car, you have to pay for parking on campus (monthly). So, it is best to find a place where you can either walk or ride the Yale shuttle. When I visited a couple of years ago Melissa Pucci (the Asst. Director of Admissions at the time) discussed housing options with me at length. She was extremely helpful. She recommended discussing any potential housing situation with either herself or other students who have been living in New Haven before committing to anything. She also had a short list of off campus housing options that she made available to incoming students. I'm not sure if we will get the same luxury this time around. Have you decided when you'll move there? Summer or Fall?

I'm looking to move the first week of August (so I can get settled in, look for a part-time job, etc).

This is GREAT advice! I will most certainly look into it.

On 3/3/2012 at 8:10 PM, MsSarahBOOM said:

I would... but finances is a huge issue for me right now :(. I just don't think I can afford on-campus housing.

Obviously I'm not privy to your financial situation but while I was there I used financial aid to pay housing. I know there was some shuffling around of policies my last year but I'd presume that this is still done.

Rejeced at PTS for their MDiv/MA program. I was rather surprised actually as I understood one has a good chance of getting in if they are above the 3.5 GPA margin. In the interview I'm not sure how stellar it went. I answered questions pretty plainly and simply; perhaps it would have been more effective to take a more confident approach and express my deeper thoughts of theological works. My LOR's, to my knowledge, are all fairly strong, my writing sample at least deeply appreciated by my professors and Emory admissions, and my personal statement was very good (I think) though a fairly typical representation of a conservative-evangelical view of spiritual development. Perhaps that is a blockade to PTS? Not sure, it was a great fit in terms of my own academic interests.

For posterity: the interview asked about work aspirations, favorite theological work, if I'm married, why I was applying specifically to PTS, and fairly simple questions. It is by no means an intense interview but you might do well to be specific and more reflective of your favorite theological work/thinker/idea and share deep insights.

Not that I really know why they wouldn't take me. It is likely that it is because I am a SDA and would be applying to a Presbyterian ministerial program. Given that my denomination does not have any formal connections with outside schools, that may be a source of hesitancy on behalf of the admissions committee.

Anyways, I'll continue sharing the good and bad news to give people an idea of school announcements.

They have informed the top choices, but I don't know about waitlists.

*tear*. It was a long shot. Perhaps ill email them and ask If I'm lucky enough to even make the waitlist. Either way, I appreciate your helpfulness through the process of applying!

Rejeced at PTS for their MDiv/MA program. I was rather surprised actually as I understood one has a good chance of getting in if they are above the 3.5 GPA margin. In the interview I'm not sure how stellar it went. I answered questions pretty plainly and simply; perhaps it would have been more effective to take a more confident approach and express my deeper thoughts of theological works. My LOR's, to my knowledge, are all fairly strong, my writing sample at least deeply appreciated by my professors and Emory admissions, and my personal statement was very good (I think) though a fairly typical representation of a conservative-evangelical view of spiritual development. Perhaps that is a blockade to PTS? Not sure, it was a great fit in terms of my own academic interests.

For posterity: the interview asked about work aspirations, favorite theological work, if I'm married, why I was applying specifically to PTS, and fairly simple questions. It is by no means an intense interview but you might do well to be specific and more reflective of your favorite theological work/thinker/idea and share deep insights.

Not that I really know why they wouldn't take me. It is likely that it is because I am a SDA and would be applying to a Presbyterian ministerial program. Given that my denomination does not have any formal connections with outside schools, that may be a source of hesitancy on behalf of the admissions committee.

Anyways, I'll continue sharing the good and bad news to give people an idea of school announcements.

Sorry, Wind :(. I hope you have other options?

Sorry, Wind :(. I hope you have other options?

Yeah I got Emory and Boston University so far! Still waiting on Duke, Vanderbilt, Chicago, Fuller, and Wheaton.

Yikes sorry to double post but got more news.

I'm most definitely a little paranoid right now, but I thought I'd ask whether you guys think it is bad or even a strike against you if you call and ask when decisions are made regarding your admission? The reason I ask is because earlier today I called University of Chicago to ask when their admission announcement would be made. I didn't give out my name or anything, but caller ID's make identifying me fairly easy. As far as I know the phone call went smoothly and she answered "around mid-March." One or two hours later I got an e-mail from University of Chicago telling me the admission decision had been made and that I was denied admission.

All this is fine and good I can take the hit, I just am not sure how to take this given the contradiction of her answer with when I received the news....@_@

Anyways, U. Chicago MDiv decision announcements should be made any time now.

On 3/4/2012 at 12:03 AM, Balatro said:

Obviously I'm not privy to your financial situation but while I was there I used financial aid to pay housing. I know there was some shuffling around of policies my last year but I'd presume that this is still done.

Advice taken! Thank you sooooo much!

I'm most definitely a little paranoid right now, but I thought I'd ask whether you guys think it is bad or even a strike against you if you call and ask when decisions are made regarding your admission? The reason I ask is because earlier today I called University of Chicago to ask when their admission announcement would be made. I didn't give out my name or anything, but caller ID's make identifying me fairly easy. As far as I know the phone call went smoothly and she answered "around mid-March." One or two hours later I got an e-mail from University of Chicago telling me the admission decision had been made and that I was denied admission.

All this is fine and good I can take the hit, I just am not sure how to take this given the contradiction of her answer with when I received the news....@_@

Holy crap, Wind! That's insane!

Surely not, right? I saw on the results page that several others (though PhD's, assuming you're the MDiv post) received email rejections yesterday at the same time. I applied to the A.M. and checking the results page gave me an unexpected shock this morning. Didn't expect to hear anything for another week. Sorry to hear about your news, but congratulations on your acceptances! Those are some great programs!

I'm new to this site, and was wondering if anyone had any information on the decision making process for the MA Peace Studies program at Notre Dame. I applied and am anxiously waiting to hear back.

I'm new to this site, and was wondering if anyone had any information on the decision making process for the MA Peace Studies program at Notre Dame. I applied and am anxiously waiting to hear back.

derrig23,

You can check the 'results survey' page located at the top.

It appears that there has been one acceptance to that program today via email.

Best of luck.

Surely not, right? I saw on the results page that several others (though PhD's, assuming you're the MDiv post) received email rejections yesterday at the same time. I applied to the A.M. and checking the results page gave me an unexpected shock this morning. Didn't expect to hear anything for another week. Sorry to hear about your news, but congratulations on your acceptances! Those are some great programs!

Yeah ignore my conspiracy all is well. I had just been told by many that asking is bad etiquette and I thought perhaps I hit a soft spot. No worries!

Yeah ignore my conspiracy all is well. I had just been told by many that asking is bad etiquette and I thought perhaps I hit a soft spot. No worries!

Haha, if it makes you feel any better, it's taking EVERYTHING inside of me not to call up HDS and ask what "mid-March" means! Hahaha

Haha I wouldn't worry about it it is perfectly acceptable. Besides, you're likely going to be talking to a student worker who has nothing to do with the admissions decision process. I don't mean to transfer my paranoia though I know it can be infectious!

Man I am being quite the "trouble" applicant this time around. NOW I triple checked my Duke application and found out my Writing sample was uploaded twice! It was uploaded once in the writing sample upload section and once in the STATEMENT OF PURPOSE section... I called Duke up and let them know and they let me send them my statement of purpose but now so I hope they didn't make the decisions already or take a second look at my application now that my statement of purpose is actually there. They never e-mailed me concerning the problem so I will assume that they didn't look at it yet. Ahhhhhhhh if I can just survive this week lol...

Same with me calling Notre Dame... gah.

Seriously! I told myself that it has to be no later than March 15, and watch March 15 roll around and I hear nothing from HDS. That's going to drive me INSANE.

Haha I wouldn't worry about it it is perfectly acceptable. Besides, you're likely going to be talking to a student worker who has nothing to do with the admissions decision process. I don't mean to transfer my paranoia though I know it can be infectious!

Man I am being quite the "trouble" applicant this time around. NOW I triple checked my Duke application and found out my Writing sample was uploaded twice! It was uploaded once in the writing sample upload section and once in the STATEMENT OF PURPOSE section... I called Duke up and let them know and they let me send them my statement of purpose but now so I hope they didn't make the decisions already or take a second look at my application now that my statement of purpose is actually there. They never e-mailed me concerning the problem so I will assume that they didn't look at it yet. Ahhhhhhhh if I can just survive this week lol...

Oh, man! If it makes you feel any better, for my YDS application, I accidently uploaded my work resume instead of my CV (in my book, they are VASTLY different, because I've been working in opticial/optometry and that resume has absolutely nothing on it in regards to Religion... my CV, on the other hand, had loads and loads of information regarding my academic achievements). I noticed a little later and frantically emailed somebody at YDS. She told me that she would "try" to replace my resume with my CV before admissions got my application... and judging by my acceptance, I guess she got around to it! Either that or I was forgiven for the mistake... I have no idea.