M* applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

sacklunch

I am over the MOON!!!! PTS just got back to me: accepted into their MA in Theological Studies program!!

Now I totally understand what people mean when they say it feels as though one is in a dream......

Congratulations!!!! HORRRRAHHHHHHHH!!!

If there is anyone looking into Candler, I just got a call yesterday and they offered me a full tuition scholarship! This was for the mdiv program.

I suppose Atlanta will be the place for me in the fall!

Amazing!!!! Congrats!!!!!

If there is anyone looking into Candler, I just got a call yesterday and they offered me a full tuition scholarship! This was for the mdiv program.

I suppose Atlanta will be the place for me in the fall!

That's great news. Hopefully I'll be there next year, too!

Wondering if Candler has started scholarship notifications for MTS program. The website says this week and last week, but I'm not sure if that's MTS or MDiv. Has anyone heard back from Candler yet?

They were at least able to tell me my scholarship offer while I was there recently. From what I could tell other visiting students hadn't received notification yet, though.

As for me, accepted into Claremont. Considering not even applying to Wheaton. Looks like the decision for me is really between Duke and Emory though...

They were at least able to tell me my scholarship offer while I was there recently. From what I could tell other visiting students hadn't received notification yet, though.

As for me, accepted into Claremont. Considering not even applying to Wheaton. Looks like the decision for me is really between Duke and Emory though...

I lived right next to WC for most of my life (before attending college 1300 miles away), and my father received a grad degree in theology there before attending med school. It's a great school, beautiful campus, awesome cafeteria and gymnasium, fairly rigorous, safe area, and tons to do. Don't give up :-). Im biased, though... I love that school.

Anyway, the people at Candler are super nice! If your choice is between Duke and Candler, then I think the future looks bright for you :-).

I lived right next to WC for most of my life (before attending college 1300 miles away), and my father received a grad degree in theology there before attending med school. It's a great school, beautiful campus, awesome cafeteria and gymnasium, fairly rigorous, safe area, and tons to do. Don't give up :-). Im biased, though... I love that school.

Anyway, the people at Candler are super nice! If your choice is between Duke and Candler, then I think the future looks bright for you :-).

Actually I completely agree with you! Wheaton students are the nicest I have ever met and I am blown away by how well the faculty's interests complement my own. I'm blown away by how it can maintain a distinct Evangelical identity and at the same time command the respect of even the most liberal theological thinkers. I'm only hesitant because my precise goal is to escape my Evangelical circles and get broader exposure to Christian thought from mainline places like or from a diverse interdenominational perspective.

All this isn't to say I couldn't get a world-class education at Wheaton. I'm only hesitant because my original GRE scores aren't competitive and I don't have time to retake the test.

Actually I completely agree with you! Wheaton students are the nicest I have ever met and I am blown away by how well the faculty's interests complement my own. I'm blown away by how it can maintain a distinct Evangelical identity and at the same time command the respect of even the most liberal theological thinkers. I'm only hesitant because my precise goal is to escape my Evangelical circles and get broader exposure to Christian thought from mainline places like or from a diverse interdenominational perspective.

All this isn't to say I couldn't get a world-class education at Wheaton. I'm only hesitant because my original GRE scores aren't competitive and I don't have time to retake the test.

Makes sense. I actually know a couple people here in Boston from Wheaton. They all seem very intelligent!

What are your interests?

Also, I'm still holding out hope for Duke! I need a friend this fall in NC!

Edited by jdmhotness

Makes sense. I actually know a couple people here in Boston from Wheaton. They all seem very intelligent!

What are your interests?

Also, I'm still holding out hope for Duke! I need a friend this fall in NC!

I am currently interested in theological methodology, especially as it pertains to hermeneutics, how we view Scripture, and what methodologies we use in reading the Bible. My primary interest, though, is definitely religion and society, specifically pacifism and the church's role in modern society. I am definitely a Hauerwasian and I am really interested in John Howard Yoder-like thinking. Hence my immense interest in Duke!

Haha it's good to know I have some support! I was just there and told them they are my top choice and that I will go if accepted, which is the best thing you can say when wait listed. Beyond that, I'm just leaving it in God's hands! Recently the wait list has been heavily drawn from so I'm hoping historical trends mean something this year. :)

WC is great :-)

Question: I was looking at my course requirements at BU STH for the MDiv (yes, I'm excited), and I realized that neither Greek nor Hebrew is a requirement for the degree. At least, I found no mention of a language requirement. All 96 credit hours are accounted for. Am I wrong? And if I'm not, is this normal?

WC is great :-)

Question: I was looking at my course requirements at BU STH for the MDiv (yes, I'm excited), and I realized that neither Greek nor Hebrew is a requirement for the degree. At least, I found no mention of a language requirement. All 96 credit hours are accounted for. Am I wrong? And if I'm not, is this normal?

Yes, it's fairly normal. Sadly most programs (mainstream) do not require any language work for either the MDiv or an MTS/MAR. I think HDS might require it, though?

Yes, it's fairly normal. Sadly most programs (mainstream) do not require any language work for either the MDiv or an MTS/MAR. I think HDS might require it, though?

But if one wants to do a PhD in theology or a ThD, these languages are probably required, right? If I do a PhD, though, I'm interested in the in the field that inspired the first part or my username. Still, whenever I talk to older people (like my father, a few professors, etc) that have master's in theology, they all studied Greek and hebrew. Why the change??

Alas and alack, this is true by and large for most MDiv programs as well as denominational requirements for ordination. Although, there are some exceptions like the PCUSA, which requires both Greek and Hebrew.

At BU, you may want to consider doing a special track in a specific discipline; for instance, if you want to do biblical studies, petition to take more language classes in Greek and Hebrew in lieu of other courses in another theological discipline -- like ethics or missiology. I know a couple of friends who decided to do a special track and I believe that they are very pleased with the results.

Good advice! I think I'm going to do religion and the academy as my focus. What were their results, generally speaking, it I may ask? Thanks!!

Anthro,

Speak with BU about how flexible the requirements are. For reference, here at BC I have done a ton of language work. They more or less bent the rules/revised them when I came into the program (our department more or less began in 2008). I only came in with 2 years of (attic) Greek and now after graduation I will have 3-4 Greek, 2 Hebrew, .5 Aramaic, 1 Latin, plus two or three seminar/advanced language courses, as well as a German reading prof. course.

The great thing about the BTI is you can pretty much find any language course you need :).

Yeah Greek and Hebrew aren't required (though they are for Adventists). I'd advise doing them for scholarship purposes though.

I'm curious outis, by a special track do you mean the concentrations/empheses/focuses/tracks/certificates/etc. that are available at many MDiv programs or some sort of one of a kind arrangement the student makes with the program director or relevant individuals?

HDS requires 1.5 years of a single language for MDivs, and intermediate proficiency as demonstrated by 2 years coursework or a pass on an exam of a single language for MTS

But if one wants to do a PhD in theology or a ThD, these languages are probably required, right? If I do a PhD, though, I'm interested in the in the field that inspired the first part or my username. Still, whenever I talk to older people (like my father, a few professors, etc) that have master's in theology, they all studied Greek and hebrew. Why the change??

Unfortunately, because doctoral work in religion is so specialized you can decide between one or the other before beginning a PhD, as long as you have a good count of other relevant languages under your belt. Of the two New Testament PhD's here I know well enough, neither had taken Hebrew before beginning the PhD. They did have nearly a decade of Greek, Latin, Coptic, German, etc. though. For Hebrew Bible to not have Greek would be a much bigger knock against you, but if you did, say, Akkadian instead, it probably wouldn't be held against you.

Edited by 11Q13

HDS requires 1.5 years of a single language for MDivs, and intermediate proficiency as demonstrated by 2 years coursework or a pass on an exam of a single language for MTS

Unfortunately, because doctoral work in religion is so specialized you can decide between one or the other before beginning a PhD, as long as you have a good count of other relevant languages under your belt. Of the two New Testament PhD's here I know well enough, neither had taken Hebrew before beginning the PhD. They did have nearly a decade of Greek, Latin, Coptic, German, etc. though. For Hebrew Bible to not have Greek would be a much bigger knock against you, but if you did, say, Akkadian instead, it probably wouldn't be held against you.

Wow, I'm surprised they took them without any Hebrew!

This may be a shot in the dark, but is ANYONE going to HDS looking for a roommate? I am freaking out about housing over here! Haha

When I was at some of the schools visiting each school seemed to have a private online network or some sort of private database for anyone looking for a roommate. You may want to inquire about if they have something like that or even visit if you have the chance.