M* applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

sacklunch

In at Vanderbilt MTS! I don't really know if I would go because of my spouse and her education/work needs but at least it is in the pool of options nonetheless. Fighting for Duke with everything I have!

Did you get any funding? I got offered 60% tuition covered... but it's still a little cost inhibitive for me to attend there. My other main option is an MA in Religion w/an assistantship.

Did you get any funding? I got offered 60% tuition covered... but it's still a little cost inhibitive for me to attend there. My other main option is an MA in Religion w/an assistantship.

I was also offered 60% which works out to be $16,000 of our money for tuition. That seems to be the average funding for most students there unless you apply before January 15.

I should also mention I officially accepted Duke's offer. I still haven't heard back from ND concerning the ECS program, but quite honestly Duke is a way better fit. I was just having a hard time convincing myself of that because I will be taking on more debt from Duke...oh well.

Hope to see some of you in Durham this fall. Oh, and if anyone wants a roommate, please feel free to contact me! I don't want to live alone. It's just too sad.

Edited by jdmhotness

Any idea when you will hear from Duke?

Not a clue; they haven't even let me know when accepted students have to reserve their place. I'm visiting them very soon and hope to get some more clarification. The more I think about it the more I know Duke is a remarkably better fit than any other school is for me so I am definitely praying hard for some good news from them.

I should also mention I officially accepted Duke's offer. I still haven't heard back from ND concerning the ECS program, but quite honestly Duke is a way better fit. I was just having a hard time convincing myself of that because I will be taking on more debt from Duke...oh well.

Hope to see some of you in Durham this fall. Oh, and if anyone wants a roommate, please feel free to contact me! I don't want to live alone. It's just too sad.

Congrats, JDM!!! So happy for you!

Anyone know about Duke MTS funding? I've been admitted but have heard nothing whatsoever about funding. I will need to commit to ND if Duke doesn't make a generous offer in the next few weeks, and I don't want to make my decision based only on money.

I posted this in the 'Duke MTS Anyone?' but I will say it here as well. There are only four scholarships available to MTS students, all of which are 100%, and I was just told they have been given out already so I doubt you received them. Call the office before, though, to confirm because maybe your award letter got lost in the mail.

Haha, you guys are the best! Made my day!

Back to the MA talk - here's a question (you guys seriously give the best advice, no joke). Should I go ahead and already start talking to the professors at Georgetown about their PhD program? I'm really, really wanting to do my PhD there. Is it too soon?

Back to the MA talk - here's a question (you guys seriously give the best advice, no joke). Should I go ahead and already start talking to the professors at Georgetown about their PhD program? I'm really, really wanting to do my PhD there. Is it too soon?

No, it's not too soon. Speak with the prof you would like to work with and ask for advice about coursework, ect. Focusing your graduate coursework to a particular professor(s), I think, would give you an edge (If that is indeed what you really want to study, of course).

Given that you have only two years til PhD, I say it's a good time. No later than 1.5 years before though.