M* applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

sacklunch

From the past results, it seems like HDS will make the decision this Friday.

I got rejected by Princeton MDiv despite having 3.9+ GPA and strong church record. I'm guessing because my PS was too liberal and I'm not religion major. :( Which is ironic, since all my pastors didn't want me to go to PTS because PTS was too liberal. I went to HDS's DivEx thing last year... so hopefully HDS works out for my liberal PS.

Edited by McMuffin

Rejected from Chicago's AM. Great SOP (IMO), amazing recs (bible folk), and a pretty good writing sample. My GRE score was pretty weak. Plus I'm applying after finishing my MTS, so no clue if that helps me or not? Either way, I doubt I would have attended due to costs. Plus I'm tired of cold weather :P.

Hope some other folks on here got in!

I got rejected by Princeton MDiv despite having 3.9+ GPA and strong church record. I'm guessing because my PS was too liberal and I'm not religion major. :( Which is ironic, since all my pastors didn't want me to go to PTS because PTS was too liberal. I went to HDS's DivEx thing last year... so hopefully HDS works out for my liberal PS.

I feel you McMuffin, I was rejected too. I'm in a slightly similar situation though I would have considered a liberal atmosphere good since it would've gotten me out of my comfort zone. I was shocked to get rejected; I heard from so many people that PTS's MDiv was fairly unchallenging to get into. I get the impression they had a lot more applicants this year and may have had to be a bit more selective than normal.

Rejected from Chicago's AM. Great SOP (IMO), amazing recs (bible folk), and a pretty good writing sample. My GRE score was pretty weak. Plus I'm applying after finishing my MTS, so no clue if that helps me or not? Either way, I doubt I would have attended due to costs. Plus I'm tired of cold weather :P.

It's ok Chicago is an impenetrable fortress of sorts, haha. If there's any school that you can't take personally for not getting into, Chicago's rejection would be the one to take the most lightly. They take like 40 people for their MDiv! MDiv's are supposed to be more accessible, too!

It's ok Chicago is an impenetrable fortress of sorts, haha. If there's any school that you can't take personally for not getting into, Chicago's rejection would be the one to take the most lightly. They take like 40 people for their MDiv! MDiv's are supposed to be more accessible, too!

Yeah, it's all a crapshoot, eh? I can't imagine they are lacking white males wanting to study the bible, haha! Oh wellz. Bring on the other rejections! :)

Just out of curiousty, why would you apply to the AM program if you already have a MTS? I was under the impression they are very similar degrees, but I could be wrong.

Just out of curiousty, why would you apply to the AM program if you already have a MTS? I was under the impression they are very similar degrees, but I could be wrong.

I was under the impression they are, too. And perhaps they thought "why is this guy applying...?" I applied for a second M* because, quite frankly, "most" people I know in biblical studies do. For top programs it's expected to have 4-5 languages under your belt and enough coursework to justify picking a focus. Much of my MTS has been intro and intermediate language work. I came into my MTS with only 2 years of Greek and since have added Hebrew, Latin, and Aramaic to the list. For my next M* I hope to take advanced seminars in at least three of those languages (likely Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic), and perhaps add Coptic, but most certainly German, to the list.

cheers.

OK. Not to be paranoid. But that does seem to be the flavor of the month...

Notre Dame called some MTS people and accepted them last Friday. I have not heard. But I'm confused - wouldn't they send out mass rejects first? Why wait to reject people til after they extend invites? Should I lose hope? If I shouldn't, why not?

Oy VEY!!! Just tell me already! Let's get this show on the road!

I was under the impression they are, too. And perhaps they thought "why is this guy applying...?" I applied for a second M* because, quite frankly, "most" people I know in biblical studies do. For top programs it's expected to have 4-5 languages under your belt and enough coursework to justify picking a focus. Much of my MTS has been intro and intermediate language work. I came into my MTS with only 2 years of Greek and since have added Hebrew, Latin, and Aramaic to the list. For my next M* I hope to take advanced seminars in at least three of those languages (likely Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic), and perhaps add Coptic, but most certainly German, to the list.

cheers.

Ah I see. Seems like a good reason. So many languages! Thanks for the clarification. Good luck :)

Hopefully HDS will come through for the both of us!

Sorry to hear, JDM :(. Here's hoping for the rest you are waiting for!

(Btw, does the JDM in your name mean about cars... or something completely different? Haha, I've always wondered and I probably will be completely off. Sorry, I'm into modding cars).

It looks like I'm one of the only people who got good news from University of Chicago today. I've been accepted to the M.Div. program with a full tuition scholarship! Definitely a great way to get over my rejection from YDS.

Sorry to hear, JDM :(. Here's hoping for the rest you are waiting for!

(Btw, does the JDM in your name mean about cars... or something completely different? Haha, I've always wondered and I probably will be completely off. Sorry, I'm into modding cars).

You're correct. Good eye! And honestly I'm not too torn up about it. It was 2nd to last on my list. As long as I get into one of my top three, ill be singing praises to Adonai.

Edited by jdmhotness

It looks like I'm one of the only people who got good news from University of Chicago today. I've been accepted to the M.Div. program with a full tuition scholarship! Definitely a great way to get over my rejection from YDS.

Congrats, as well! I bet you are sighing sweet relieve!

You're correct. Good eye! And honestly I'm not too torn up about it. It was 2nd to last on my list. As long as I get into one of my top three, ill be singing praises to Adonai.

What are your top three choices?

And whoo! JDM ftw :) (I have a Scion tC that I started modding when I got it last year... until the reality of paying for grad school hit and I decided to start saving money... haha)

What are your top three choices?

And whoo! JDM ftw :) (I have a Scion tC that I started modding when I got it last year... until the reality of paying for grad school hit and I decided to start saving money... haha)

Haha! Sounds pretty fun. I actually worked for Toyota all through undergrad as a mechanic (part-time, my dad taught me how to work on cars when I was young), so I'm abnormally familiar with the tC. Unfortunately all I can afford here in Boston is a 1990 Camry....sweet right?!

And if it matters, my top three choices are ND, GTU, and Duke (AM).

Haha! Sounds pretty fun. I actually worked for Toyota all through undergrad as a mechanic (part-time, my dad taught me how to work on cars when I was young), so I'm abnormally familiar with the tC. Unfortunately all I can afford here in Boston is a 1990 Camry....sweet right?!

And if it matters, my top three choices are ND, GTU, and Duke (AM).

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I drove the most beaten down Honda all throughout undergrad. I decided to splurge and buy myself the tC, and now I kind of regret it seeing as to my finances will be changing drastically within a few months! Haha. Oy, I could go on and on about cars... but I should stop before I get vastly off topic!

And have you heard from any of the three choices yet?

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I drove the most beaten down Honda all throughout undergrad. I decided to splurge and buy myself the tC, and now I kind of regret it seeing as to my finances will be changing drastically within a few months! Haha. Oy, I could go on and on about cars... but I should stop before I get vastly off topic!

And have you heard from any of the three choices yet?

Haha, me too. We shouldn't bore the others :). And no, still waiting.

Congrats on NYU! You don't want to live in NYC anyway :).

I have friends who were called on Friday for the MTS at ND and accepted. So they have begun calling people.

Yes, this whole thing is rather confusing. It looks like they've accepted people via e-mail in past years... but so far they've only accepted people by phone. I would love to get a response of some fashion and just get the paranoia already :/.