M* applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

sacklunch

As regards to the question of funding at Yale, their website says that "90% of their students get some form of scholarship assistance". Two friends of mine who attended the divinity school (or are attending) received either 1/2 or 3/4 tuition funding. It seems like if they accept your application (and you file your application for aid) then they make it financially feasible to attend. Also, when they accepted my MAR application this year, they said that "We know that financial aid is important to your final decision and we are committed to providing strong scholarships." I'm confident that this applies to everyone who's accepted. So I think that Emma and others on this board who have been accepted probably don't have to worry. :)

After scaling down my fairly massive list of graduate schools I only ended up only applying to three (hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me). I heard back from Candler last week. Still waiting on Boston University and Vanderbilt. Any idea when BU and Vanderbilt decisions will be made? Apparently the committee is meeting next week for Leadership Candler and I could hear back as soon as the 2nd of February. Whoever said it will be a long winter was spot on. I can't wait for the waiting process to be over. .

Have you heard anything from Leadership Candler? I got a phone call from admissions a few weeks back telling me that I was accepted, but I haven't heard anything from Leadership Candler.

I have a friend who got a phone call from Leadership Candler last Monday night, telling her that she's been moved on to the "next round" and needs to come down and have a meet and greet with faculty before they decide. Guess the impression that she got was that they pretty much had decided, but couldn't award these things sight-unseen.

Wish I'd applied. Didn't hear about it till after the deadline.

Has anybody heard back Duke Divinity School after the January 10 application deadline? I heard it was going to take 6 weeks for them to get back. Now it's 5 weeks but they might be faster...

I am an international applicant and therefore wonder how you think my chances are affected by that.

A reminder to YDS applicants. Those who earn the Marquand scholarship WILL get phone calls for admission a few days ahead of everyone. However, that does not mean that if you don't receive a phone call, you've been denied. On the contrary, many who do not receive a phone call receive tuition remission. The phone calls are only for 5k stipends.

Also, Leadership Candler acceptance carries with it a full tuition remission, however in attending the 1 or 2 day wine and dine session, they make decisions on stipends.

Best of luck to all!

Have you heard anything from Leadership Candler? I got a phone call from admissions a few weeks back telling me that I was accepted, but I haven't heard anything from Leadership Candler.

I got a call last week extending an invitation to Leadership Candler. Sorry for the late response, it’s been a busy week and a half! I also got an acceptance call from Boston University last Thursday. I was just heading into class and didn't have time to do much other than thank them. They said they'd put something in the mail but I've yet to receive anything. Do you think this will include funding of some kind?

Still waiting to hear back from Vanderbilt -- Anyone heard news from Nashville?

Many, many people receive that email. They only elect 6 a year and it's almost never an MA student, so no worries.

Notre Dame has not met yet for MTS decisions. You're all fine on that front. This is a silly process and it's a crapshoot. You've done all you can and worrying about it isn't going to change any decisions (for better or worse).

Hah. You gave me some more peace of mind. I applied to Notre Dame MTS as well... no idea my chances.

Unfortunately, my name had one two many 'L's in it one one of the name fields of my original application... and I didn't catch it to correct until the beginning of February! Hopefully that didn't screw up anything further. They weren't able to match my GRE documents up to my app until I called in to fix that. Silliness.

I applied to UVA, Temple, Harvard, Yale, and NYU.

So far, I've heard back from Temple - got in.

Reeeeeeeeally crossing my fingers for HDS, though, because it's the only school that offered what I want to focus on.

Edited by MsSarahBOOM

Also, just, in general:

I'm starting to get super-freaked-out about this whole process/my chances of financial aid/going to graduate school/having a life. Seriously, it didn't hit at all until last week, but all of a sudden I've realized that HOLY SHAMOLIE what if no one gives me money??? What if I can't afford to go??? What if I forgot to fill out a form??? What if I forgot to reply to an e-mail and they gave me a black check mark because I am clearly unsuited for being a great person and they don't want me after all??? What if Princeton is grumpy that I asked for an extension and won't give me money??? What if Yale heard from Princeton that PTS is my fave school and now Yale won't give me money???

What if I Fail At Life???

These are the questions that keep me wide awake at 3am most mornings. Oy vey. Ready for this to be over already.

You and I are going through the same EXACT thing, just FYI.

Got into Emory so far! Kinda nervous about financial aid though because my application was completed on February 17 (would have been February 1st but there was a glitch in uploading my writing sample. I DID submit it FOR SURE but somehow this mistake still occurred.)

Nonetheless, still happy to get in!

Princeton emailed me yesterday with a grant estimate of 80%! If that is the case, I'll have tuition covered. I have an outside scholarship that will take care of the rest.

Beyond tuition, the other major expenses are housing and food. Has anybody else thought about housing and stuff? What is the cheapest way to survive?

I've been accepted to Candler and Princeton, still waiting on Duke and Vandy.

My acceptance was for an MAR in women's, gender, and sexuality studies. I applied for the same thing at HDS... And I'm waiting on them to get back to me. If HDS offers me acceptance, I'm going to Cambridge for sure, because the Islamic studies area is much stronger at HDS.

Also, I am hoping Yale and Harvard both offer me at least some portion of tuition. Ill have about 5-8k saved up to live off of, but I know it's not enough. Guess I'll be working while going to school (I worked fulltime while taking 18 credits a semester for my undergrad - while taking grad courses as well, so hopefully I'll be able to manage). Worst case scenario, I'll be pulling loans for tuition and working fulltime to cover all expenses. Thank goodness I'm a chronic insomniac and have learned to live with only three hours of sleep a night!

Congrats MsSarahBoom and Windfish

Were the acceptances to MAR/MTS or MDiv's?

Thank you Sarah! I got accepted into the MTS program

Edited by Windfish

I was unaware that Yale sent acceptance letters this early for MARs'. I applied to Yale for the MAR, but still have not heard back, when do you think I will hear back? (the wait is nerve wrecking)

I was unaware that Yale sent acceptance letters this early for MARs'. I applied to Yale for the MAR, but still have not heard back, when do you think I will hear back? (the wait is nerve wrecking)

I think it depends on whether you did "priority filing" or "standard filing" for your application. I finished my MAR application by the "priority" deadline, and received an acceptance email on Feb 3rd. Hope this helps :)