M* applications for 2012-2013 chit chat...

sacklunch

Just accepted into Boston University MTS. Awesome, now I can partake of the BTI if I so desire but it will be a tough sell if I get into Duke, Yale, Princeton, or Chicago.

Hey now, at least you have some acceptances! I'm still waiting for 5 out of my 6! :'(

If it makes you feel any better I'm still waiting on 9, haha I went a little crazy with the applications...

I did!

I don't think I have much of a shot, really, but I figured it didn't hurt to try.

It's the only school I'm waiting on! (Granted, I still have to hear back from UVA and NYU, but now that I know I got into Yale, it'll be Yale and Havard duking it out... unless, of course, I don't get into Harvard! Haha)

The waiting is driving me insane!

You don't think it'll be a load off just to get these responses in already, good or bad? I've been starting to get agitated waiting for it. Life is so flipping difficult to manage when stuff is up in the air like this.

I completely agree. I'm the type of person that likes to plan ahead, and in five months I have to change EVERYTHING about my life to go to school... and I can't start planning until I know... and ughhhhhhh! Hahaha

Not to spam, but out of curiousity about the ones going to Yale... if you are going, what are you guys regarding housing?

I stayed on campus my first year and highly reccomend it. They're quite close to the buildings you'll be having classes in and helps foster a sense of community with the other students. Many of nights I was up until 2-3AM discussing material and just general chit chat with fellow students (in and out of my classes).

I moved off campus with some other students for the other two years.

If I go for the MARc (Hebrew Bible) at Yale, I will be living off campus, probably in East Rock. But, I'm married and we have a cat. So, the decision was pretty much made for me. If you have a car, you have to pay for parking on campus (monthly). So, it is best to find a place where you can either walk or ride the Yale shuttle. When I visited a couple of years ago Melissa Pucci (the Asst. Director of Admissions at the time) discussed housing options with me at length. She was extremely helpful. She recommended discussing any potential housing situation with either herself or other students who have been living in New Haven before committing to anything. She also had a short list of off campus housing options that she made available to incoming students. I'm not sure if we will get the same luxury this time around. Have you decided when you'll move there? Summer or Fall?

Just got into SLU! But they are, unfortunately, 'unable to offer' any funding options for me at this time. So that's a disappointment, but I suppose I expected that such is common there. My own dilemma for only applying to schools within a certain geopgraphical radius to me.

In any case, still waiting for Notre Dame! I really don't know if my chances are very good there... but their automatic full funding package for the MTS is very attractive--on top of the school itself, of course.

Accepted via e-mail to Marquette's MA in Systematics/Ethics a few days ago; not sure if anyone else applied. No word on funding, but a personal e-mail that said they are trying to "put something together" for me... Why must ambiguity be so pervasive amongst admissions departments?

Anyone hear from Notre Dame today?

Just as an FYI for anyone who applied to UChicago Div, the admissions committee met last week and the letters should be out soon!

Just to clarify, they sound out emails correct? I doubt ill attend even if I get in...too expensive and they are notorious for offering only 50%.

Rejected from Yale MARc today, Standard Deadline applicant. I knew my chances were minimal (white male Protestant)

On the one hand I'm sad I was rejected in general but I'm happy that I don't have to convince myself I'd be happy in Connecticut-like weather. My wife and I would much rather be in happy sunny weather.

Tanner and Volf would've been nice though..... X)

Accepted via e-mail to Marquette's MA in Systematics/Ethics a few days ago; not sure if anyone else applied. No word on funding, but a personal e-mail that said they are trying to "put something together" for me... Why must ambiguity be so pervasive amongst admissions departments?

Anyone hear from Notre Dame today?

I did NOT hear from Notre Dame, although I spent most of the afternoon refreshing my e-mail. Guess it'll come out next Friday? Maybe the tornadoes made them all close down their offices early and we'll hear on Monday... (Maybe I'll dream on)

Rejected from Yale MARc today, Standard Deadline applicant. I knew my chances were minimal (white male Protestant)

On the one hand I'm sad I was rejected in general but I'm happy that I don't have to convince myself I'd be happy in Connecticut-like weather. My wife and I would much rather be in happy sunny weather.

Tanner and Volf would've been nice though..... X)

You do NOT want to live in the NE if there are other options ;). I'm counting the days til I leave this place. At least the winter this year has been really warm.

Edited by jdmhotness

You do NOT want to live in the NE if there are other options ;). I'm counting the days til I leave this place. At least the winter this year has been really warm.

Haha that's affirming. I'm from Colorado which is actually pretty sunny and not the winter tundra some imagine. I'm going to college in Michigan and it's constantly cloudy here, no sun, and the winters are harsh and painful. I am definitely also counting the days to leave even Michigan and don't want to ship myself off somewhere even harsher. I did get into Boston U. but, again, that NE weather....Thanks for some perspective!

Luckily I was accepted at Emory so I'm definitely grateful to have that as an option.

Just to clarify, they sound out emails correct? I doubt ill attend even if I get in...too expensive and they are notorious for offering only 50%.

Yeah, I'm assuming it will be via e-mail since that's how the other schools do it.

Id take Emory easily over BU ;). The good thing about Boston is it's usually sunny here in the winter. I'm from the Midwest, where it's almost always cloudy in the winter, so I feel you.

Yeah Emory is definitely more enticing than BU, I'm just a little tempted by the BTI but I have a wife who needs to get a masters degree in dietetics and there is no interesting program for her there. Atlanta, Durham, Chicago, and the LA area are all fantastic though! I kind of developed a crush on Emory now but I will have some serious problems with indecisiveness if U. Chicago, Duke, or Princeton take me...

I did NOT hear from Notre Dame, although I spent most of the afternoon refreshing my e-mail. Guess it'll come out next Friday? Maybe the tornadoes made them all close down their offices early and we'll hear on Monday... (Maybe I'll dream on)

Why do you say that it's note likely to be on a Friday? I guess I'm unclear what's so special about that day of the week, specifically.