Is this good news?

LauraS24

Fellow Grad Cafers I need help in obsessively translating an email from a grad school! I just recieved a notice that one department is preparing to nominate me for a university wide diversity fellowship. They have asked me to enclose an additional document but have not given me a clear indication of whether this is a good sign. The fellowship is only one year but is given under the condition that the department provide funding for the following 5 years.

My thoughts are of two scenarios:

1. They love me and want me to earn the University fellowship to attract me.

2. They like me but will only admit me if I win the diversity fellowship.

Thoughts?

@anthropologygeek, was that before the deadline or not? I've submitted the app for this in Dec. and was just contacted to send the extra document needed to apply to this fellowship. I generally think that applying to fellowships doesn't really mean anything particular. But, given these circumstances it's difficult to gauge the department's interest in me.

Hi LauraS24, I think it's excellent news (though I could be wrong, of course). I was in your shoes when I applied to PhD programs and being nominated for a university-wide fellowship meant I was accepted every single time. In the cases where I didn't get the fellowship, the department still admitted me with departmental funding. In my experience, the diversity (or other university-wide) fellowship was meant to boost the amount of money and the benefits being offered to me, in an effort to entice me to go there. In a couple of cases the nomination or offer of the fellowship also meant that there were funds available for me to visit (flights and hotels covered), which was really awesome. So, I'm totally excited for you. Let us know what they say!

Congrats, Laura524! Any chance you can you tell us which program it is? Or at least which state? I know I applied to a bunch of UC schools and would love to know if there's been any movement with those programs. : )

Hey Laura,

I'm in the same situation. What I actually did was looked up the University guidelines for that specific fellowship and it said right there that they can only nominate a student for the fellowship if they are planning to recommend the student for admission, and that the outcome of the fellowship nomination can't affect whether or not the student is ultimately admitted. So, at least in my case, I think/hope/pray that I'm in!! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Bespeckled- It's in the midwest. I'm waiting on a UC app too! Fingers cross for us both!

Crazed- Congrats! I hope you are in! I did some serious googling on the fellowship and it looks as though the language is more lax on the requirments for this. BUT, it does require that the department fund me for last 5 years AND provide $4000 to attend a summer program AND $1000 travel fund for conferences. So, perhaps this is a very good sign to leverage me into a the department. Or...at least I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.

I was nominated for a UC Diversity Fellowship this year too. I get the impression that winning this fellowship (and hence having a respite from TAships while still getting funding) represents a huge attempt to lure you into accepting a place in their program. In a best case scenario, a diversity fellowship may pay you for up to three years (in some schools) and other sources of funding (like the NSF GRFP) could theoretically cover the rest of your program. Also, since the diversity fellowship money comes from the university as a whole and not the department itself, they will be super excited to see you get one of these things; it would help relieve stress on other grad student competing for a limited number of TAships. I really hope we both win one!

Anthroman, congrats! I hope it works out for you! These fellowship are awesome opportuntities. Keep us updated on what happens.

I asked two professors for their opinion and one told me it is a very good sign, basically an admittance. The other seemed skeptical about their motives for nominating me for a diversity fellowship without admitting me first. She suggested it could be a political move on the department's part to suggest that they have scouted diverse applicants but they aren't invested in me completely.

The results board hasn't seen any action of the school so, I'm just going to try and stay positive and hope for the best!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Since posting I freaked out and emailed the DGS who gave me an unofficial acceptance and kind words. Then, yesterday, I received a call offering me an official acceptance and funding options.

Thanks all! Good luck to those still waiting!