Your Every-Day Carry

Eigen

I noticed StrangeLight mentioning some really cool stuff in the "Favorite Pen" thread, and I thought we could use a branched-off thread for all that other favorite stuff that we carry. Cool ideas are bound to pop up!

As Strangelight, I have two types of carry- with and without a bag. I have an office, desk and computer in my lab, so I don't need to bring everything with me every time I come in to work.

What I always carry is my iPod Touch (my iPhone equivalent), cell phone, wallet+small moleskin, and several key rings (our building subdivides everything). On the utility key ring, I've got a department-issue bottle opener, and one of the really small SOG keychain knives. I also always have a large, insulated Klean Kanteen for coffee, etc., and several pens stuck various places on my person (I'm a huge fan of the Sharpie pen's at the moment).

For more involved carry, I've got one of the mid-sized Chrome messenger bags, with a Moleskin A4 Folio (for all the papers I'm working on hard-copies of), a Moleskin A4 notebook (for keeping track of ideas, plans, future research thoughts, etc., and a smaller Moleskin reporter notebook for notes in seminars and such. About half the time I've got an iPad in there as well, and sometimes my Macbook Air, if I'm going somewhere with plans to write.

So what's your EDC? What bag do you really like, what things do you always want to have at hand? Give the rest of us good ideas!

I'm pretty unsophisticated. All I really ever take to work is keys+phone+wallet+pen, plus a messenger bag with whatever books/notebooks I took home and my flash drive if I took that home. I have a computer in my office so I don't take my laptop. Sometimes I take my cardinal mug with sweet tea or hot chocolate. That's about it really.

Small Chrome messenger bag, Rain Jacket (pretty much essential if you bike a lot in the unpredictable new orleans weather), bottle or two water (also essential for the new orleans biker), bottle opener, i-pod, and really nothing else that isn't a standard carry for a grad student, no computer though unless I am on a research trip. I have yet to join the paper less world... I think the biggest theme for my stuff is water proof.

Edited by Riotbeard

I started my PhD with a messenger-style, and quickly realised that it wasn't going to cut it due to the neck pain I was experiencing. As a result, I switched to a high-quality (Swiss gear?) backpack with a laptop pocket, a space for papers, and loads of cubbies for other items (usb, access cards, pens, cell phone/itunes, etc.). I also have a separate laptop sleeve that I use to look more professional when necessary (so I'm not slinging the backpack all over). Seriously, I think the backpack has saved me a world of hurt over the last few years (literally!).

Edited by Andsowego

because i never get tired of talking about this...

walking around anywhere, i carry the following:

bottle of water.

tyvek mighty wallet with cards and cash.

iphone 3GS and headphones.

handkerchief.

a true utility key system (yes, it's a system!) with the following:

- leatherman squirt ps4 multi-tool (with knife, scissors, pliers, nail file, bottle opener, two screwdrivers)

- fisher trekker space pen (for writing in the margins while lying upside down on the couch)

- 4sevens quark mini 123 flashlight (come in handy more than you'd think)

- 1/2-inch-thick roll of duct tape (also used more than you'd think)

- keys

if i'm heading to campus, i'll also take my macbook. possibly my charger, if i know i'll be there for more than 3 hours.

About half the time I've got an iPad in there as well, and sometimes my Macbook Air, if I'm going somewhere with plans to write.

How do you like the MacBook Air? I have a three-year old MacBook and would like to upgrade before I start grad school.

Same stuff every day:

- dinner leftovers for lunch (invest in a crockpot, buying lunch everyday adds up)

-Timbuk2 messenger bag

-Composition notebooks (make for great lab notebooks)

-MacBook

-Sturdy aluminum coffee tumbler (a good one will keep your coffee or tea hot for a couple of hours)

What I bring every day:

Lululemon bag to carry stuff in

Water bottle

Lunch

Notebook

Pens

That's the basics of it. I could probably get away with no bag if it wasn't for all the food I carry around with me.

The contents of my schoolbag, categorized:

Personal stuff:

- water bottle

- chapstick

- umbrella

- ibuprofen

- wallet

- keys

- phone

- a few Clif bars/pieces of fruit

- a warm hat and gauntlets (during cold weather)

- gum

School stuff:

- pens

- notebook

- whatever books/articles I need for the day

Tech stuff:

- HP touchpad (for light computing-needs days) OR laptop + power cord (for heavier computing-needs days)

- mp3 player + earbuds

- my little point-and-shoot camera. I love taking pics, so I try to be prepared.

- my digital voice recorder.

On days when I'm not going to campus (but am going to a coffee shop to read, etc), I carry the following downsized list in a smaller bag:

- water bottle

- chapstick

- keys

- phone

- wallet

- mp3 player

- book

- touchpad

How do you like the MacBook Air? I have a three-year old MacBook and would like to upgrade before I start grad school.

Sorry it took me a bit to respond.

I really like the MBA. I got one of the last generation refurbished models (11.6/2/128) for about $800, and am quite happy. The SSD makes a huge difference in speed, and I love that it turns on instantly when I open the lid.

I don't know how much I'd like the MBA as my only computer, but as a companion to a desktop, it works great. If I was getting one as my only computer, I'd probably go with the newer version refurb, and a 13"- you can get a 1.86 dual core i5 processor with 4 gigs of ram and a 128 gig SSD for $1100, and it should make a very portable, snappy main computer.

I have a desktop at my office that I use for bulk storage, as well as doing any graphics intensive work, modeling, etc., so the MBA is mostly a portable machine for writing and trips. I can also see myself doing most of the formatting/image work for papers on my desktop instead of the MBA as well- bigger screen, beefier computer overall.

I have a desktop at home and a laptop+dock+monitor at school, so that's taken care of. I also have an office, so I keep most of my books, articles, notes, etc. there, too.

I carry with me:

-Phone (my #1 item since I rely on my smartphone too much now)

-Wallet

-Keys

-iPad + Bluetooth Keyboard

-A prepared meal or two

-Water bottle

-Gum / mints

-Chapstick

-One notebook with articles / notes that I'll be working on that day

I have a 22" monitor, bluetooth Apple keyboard, a USB mouse and a desk. Pretty standard...

I carry with me:

- Phone

- Car/House keys

- Lunch and some snacks

- Macbook and charger

- Jansport backpack

- Pens

- Running shoes/gym clothing if it's gym day

Every day carry:

-iPhone 4

-Headphones

-Keys (w/attached pouch with MetroCard, student ID, and flash drive shuttle)

-Wallet

-MacBook Pro (sometimes w/charger)

-Notebook

-iPad

-Pencil pouch w/assorted pens

-Hand lotion

-Travel pack of tissues

-umbrella

-Small Moleskine notepad

Sometimes I carry a tote and sometimes I carry a backpack, depending on my mood and the pain in my back.

• 3 weeks later...

Always my cellphone and laptop(essential) because the office computers are always slow.

Pens, pencils, my wallet, mirror, lip gloss, ladies' essentials, toothbrush, floss, keys.

A bottle of water, an ensure or some time of energy shake, a bowl with my home-cooked lunch, healthy snacks.\

Maybe a textbook or two with highlighters and paper for printing. One book for all my notes, which almost always never gets used because the profs always give handouts, powerpoints, etc...

• 4 weeks later...

Do any of you ladies out there have a type of bag that you recommend? I'm looking for something semi-professional, stylish, and in a somewhat affordable price range. I carried a plain old back-pack as an undergrad, but somehow that seems less professional to me. What do you girls like to carry? I think I'd prefer some type of shoulder bag... Thanks in advance.

I carry my things in a laptop backpack that looks similar to this one, but without side pockets:

http://img.alibaba.c...-web1_13553.jpg

I think messenger bags look cooler, but I find them quite uncomfortable.

EDC:

- lunch (ditto for investing in a slow cooker)

- wallet

- eyeglass case

- keys

- pens, pencils, etc.

- calculator

- the notebook I use for my current project

- a book or my Kindle

Some days I bring my laptop to the university, as I did today, but most days I use only the computer in my office.

Edited by go3187

Do any of you ladies out there have a type of bag that you recommend? I'm looking for something semi-professional, stylish, and in a somewhat affordable price range. I carried a plain old back-pack as an undergrad, but somehow that seems less professional to me. What do you girls like to carry? I think I'd prefer some type of shoulder bag... Thanks in advance.

I found an Anne Klein bag at goodwill that isn't specifically a tote, DH calls it a purse but I can fit a small laptop, a couple notebooks, waterbottle and a text or two in it. But what i have an eye on right now is this one- I like the set up http://www.filson.com/products/passage-women-s-business-tote.73036.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=luggage/briefcases&fmetaProduct=1019.

i have a vera bradley bag i got on sale from zappos. it's not the tote, it's actually a much smaller size, but i can fit a 13" laptop in it relatively easily, along with a few books, notebooks, and all my purse stuff. doesn't look big but it carries a ton of stuff. on days where i'm dragging in 4+ books, i tend to just use a backpack or a weekender bag.

i have a vera bradley bag i got on sale from zappos. it's not the tote, it's actually a much smaller size, but i can fit a 13" laptop in it relatively easily, along with a few books, notebooks, and all my purse stuff. doesn't look big but it carries a ton of stuff. on days where i'm dragging in 4+ books, i tend to just use a backpack or a weekender bag.

I love my Vera Bradley micro-fiber/nylon bags, so I second this choice.

My backpack is my carry all. I lug with me nearly everyday: my netbook, electric cords for my netbook, iphone and kindle, my kindle, my iphone, wallet, headphones, my day planner, my journal - which also doubles as my notebook for All Things I CANNOT Forget, my pencil case with stapler, USB flashdrive (and pens!), my course files for the day. Nearly all my readings are in my kindle or on pdf so I rarely need to bring books with me. Oh, and 40 oz water bottle. :)

Edited by anthroDork

Hey anthrodork (and anyone else who is inclined to share) what netbook do you use? I'm conducting a gradcafe-wide survey accross multiple forums.

antecedant - I use a Samsung N150 - it's a 10" with Windows 7 starter. It's definitely not fancy BUT very hardy. It has traveled with me to Southeast Asia 3 times, once to Europe, been loaded and unloaded off planes, boats, trains and the only wear on it is a little dent on the top. I do keep it in a neoprene sleeve. I'd LOVE to have a 13" mac but I think that's too much beyond my price range. I buy off refurbished sites, generally...

I love my 13" Air with all of my heart. But if my spouse didn't have a separate laptop (none of this "what's mine is yours" garbage!) I'd definitely miss a CD/DVD drive. When I hold other laptops they feel like cinderblocks!

• 9 months later...

I loved this post. I figured I was the only person that was concerned with what I brought in my bag to school every day. :) I am looking at the Parcel Tote by Timbuk2 because I am realizing my messenger from Timbuk2 doesn't carry everything I need when I need to bring my books with me to my classes and work.