Does anyone have any advice for this sort of thing? I'm terrified that I'll stutter or we'll get cut off, or I'll forget everything I've ever learned because I'm terrible at talking on the phone and keeping my concentration. I plan on getting out of my house (because I have terrible service, and because I'll get distracted too easily), and maybe driving somewhere and sitting in my car.

But any advice on what NOT to do in a phone interview?

I had one phone call (informal) and one skype interview.. Make sure you look around on the Internet for a lot of generic advice (I'm sure you've already done that :) )..

Other than that, be confident and try to focus on the interview as much as possible. The call getting disconnected is a distraction, but if it happens theres nothing you can do, other than just call back. Dont get distracted by that through out your interview. I would imagine that stuttering a bit now and then is fine too, I guess they would expect you to be a tad bit nervous (Am I just consoling myself by thinking that? :) ).

If you are going to take the interview from the car or elsewhere, do a trial run with a friend before hand. Also, I guess it goes without saying, make sure there won't be disturbances or any interference. Loud people walking by or noisy vehicles are really irritating on the phone.

All the best!!! :)

So, basically, the interview was pretty standard. It was hard to do a phone interview because I didn't really know how to end my responses. The questions they asked were...

"Tell me about yourself and why social work?"

"Why the University of Michigan?"

"Tell us about a time that you experienced something hard and how did you handle the situation?"

"Do you think you're ready for a graduate program?"

"What are your hobbies?"

"What kind of populations would you like to work with? Would you be willing to work in Detroit?"

"What are your strengths and weaknesses?"

"Do you have any favorite authors or people you look up to?" < nerded out on that one.

"If you were struggling academically, would you be willing to go get help at the tutoring center?"

"You mentioned depression in your personal statement, how do you feel you are right now with that?"

"What do you ultimately want to do with a MSW?"

That's all I can really remember at the moment, but they also asked if I had any questions and gave me their personal numbers to call if I have any other questions.

I really hope I get in.

I hope you get in too! I was really hoping to hear news from them today, but still nothing.

I'm worried because I mentioned depression in my essay, but I think I did not explain well enough how I have overcome it =/ It would really suck if something like that influences their decision.

I hope you get in too! I was really hoping to hear news from them today, but still nothing.

I'm worried because I mentioned depression in my essay, but I think I did not explain well enough how I have overcome it =/ It would really suck if something like that influences their decision.

Yeah, I mentioned it too and so when they asked me how I was today I made sure not to say that I was 100% because I felt like that would seem like a lie, so I just said that I was basically 98%, because I don't believe that anyone is 100% all the time, and that I know that to help other people, you have to help yourself first, and that I know when to get help if I need it. Hopefully that answer was sufficient, but you never know.

Have you heard from UMB yet? What is your top school choice?

I think that was a really good answer! Smart of you to explain that no one can be 100%, very down to earth and honest.

Still nothing from UMB :( In some ways, Michigan is my top choice, but in the end the most important factor for me is scholarship money. I'm also really interested in B.U, UMB, and luckily Chicago! What is your top choice?

As of right now, it's between Michigan and UMB, and VCU is my backup. Also depends on scholarship money since I'm going to be an out of state student no matter what, and I don't really wanna spend $100,000 on loans for school, when I won't be able to pay that off....ever....lol. When did you send in your applications?

Haha yeah a ton of debt is not.worth.it! I applied to Chicago and Michigan on December 1st, UMB on Dec. 16th (though I don't think my application was completely finished until early January because of things I had to mail), and everywhere else in early to mid January. So some places I definitely understand not having heard from yet, and still the wait drives me nuts!

I actually still haven't finished my app to NYU, all I have to do is the essay and pay the app fee, but I kind of see no point in applying there now that I know I have Chicago, haha.

P.S are you from Florida? I lived there until moving to Michigan for undergrad!

• 1 year later...

Hello Angela

I am my interview tomorrow afternoon. I am a little bit anxious but confident. I want to know, how long did you wait before you had your final decision. And also, how is the program so far??