"No, the Results Survey won't change if you check it 5 minutes later" Funny Habits of the 'Admissions-Obsessed'

stephanie.ms.antunes

I'm not going to lie....

I have definitely checked the results survey more than one time in a day...over and over, as well as my status on the University website.

I have also searched the website for clues I know are not there...

...and checked on Sundays when I KNOW for a fact nothing will have changed...

Waiting can drive us all a little crazy...or is it just me?

What kind of funny habits or ridiculous things do you find yourself doing while awaiting the application process? Please share!

I check the results survey atleast twice an hour, almost during every hour of the 16 hours I'm up.. I'm always at my computer, so I just can't help it..

Gradcafe itself is almost continuously open in the browser..And the University application sites are checked thrice everyday, including on weekends..

I think I've become more obsessive because of Gradcafe and from today, I'm going to go sit in a place where I don't have internet access..

Gradcafe has definitely fuelled my obsession, but at the same time I am so grateful I have somewhere to come and people to talk to who are going through the same thing as I am!

Having said this, it's still probably pretty ridiculous how often I'm on this site....I think it's because I'm secretly afraid if I stop checking, I'll miss something important :P

See, you'd think it doesn't change... but I checked the survey once before i left for work and once when i got to work and somebody had posted a rejection from the program to which i'm applying! So now I'm even MORE antsy...

See, you'd think it doesn't change... but I checked the survey once before i left for work and once when i got to work and somebody had posted a rejection from the program to which i'm applying! So now I'm even MORE antsy...

That's exactly what happened to me!

I was only checking about once a day (which isn't a lot for me). Then, I started to see people getting rejected from my program. Seeing this sent me into a GradCafe-Status-Checking frenzy! lol

I checked my email in my sleep. My iPhone was next to my bed and when I woke up, I was holding the phone and my email inbox was staring back at me. I think that was a new low for me. In my defense, there was a reasonably important grad school related email there!

I checked my email in my sleep. My iPhone was next to my bed and when I woke up, I was holding the phone and my email inbox was staring back at me. I think that was a new low for me. In my defense, there was a reasonably important grad school related email there!

CG2012, I have been doing that every night since quite sometimet\! I cant decide which is worse- waking up at ungodly hours to check my email despite knowing that I am not going to get any news till March or spending lots of time reading Gradcafe posts from previous years. I am planning on taking a break from the internet this weekend!

CG2012, I have been doing that every night since quite sometimet\! I cant decide which is worse- waking up at ungodly hours to check my email despite knowing that I am not going to get any news till March or spending lots of time reading Gradcafe posts from previous years. I am planning on taking a break from the internet this weekend!

Checking GradCafe posts from previous years....that's a good idea! ;)

From what I was told during my interview at UofT's computational biology faculty, they said they would be going through them 2-3 weeks from then, which was on 01/27. So you should be hearing soon. Hopefully I will be too, but my interview didn't go as well as I'd hoped (I had fluffed something semi-important up on my CV unintentionally, and the prof basically (though not directly) called me out on it), so I'm not so sure. Then again, the prof did say that he wasn't actually on the committee, so maybe not.

Edited by hall1k

I am inventing strange rituals and following them, omg...

like standing under cold shower for 1 minute every day :D hoping that somebody sitting among the clouds will think "poor crazy girl" and grant me admission for this consistent self-torture :)

Haha I am also starting to get really superstitious!

Trying really hard not to "jynx" it

Knocking on wood everytime I even mention graduate school applications

Making other people knock on wood every time they tell me I'll get in

...It's getting bad! :P

I am inventing strange rituals and following them, omg...

like standing under cold shower for 1 minute every day :D hoping that somebody sitting among the clouds will think "poor crazy girl" and grant me admission for this consistent self-torture :)

Oh no! No more cold showers! Unless it works, in which case let me know so I can do it too.

Dear Gradcafe administrator,

As is evident from the postings above, too many of us poor souls have suffered tremendously because the results section gets updated too slowly. I suggest that you place some ads on this website, make some money and then pay that money to university officials who can come to this site and post updates such as, "I just made copies of 3 applications and gave them to the Adcom", "the postman is carrying a heavy bag today; looks like all transcripts are coming, "the secretary is typing acceptance emails", "Adcom was heard laughing at an applicant with 2.1 GPA", etc., every minute.

Yours most sincerely,

Slow-update Victim No. N (where N>1000)

As is evident from the postings above, too many of us poor souls have suffered tremendously because the results section gets updated too slowly. I suggest that you place some ads on this website, make some money and then pay that money to university officials who can come to this site and post updates such as, "I just made copies of 3 applications and gave them to the Adcom", "the postman is carrying a heavy bag today; looks like all transcripts are coming, "the secretary is typing acceptance emails", "Adcom was heard laughing at an applicant with 2.1 GPA", etc., every minute.

Yours most sincerely,

Agreed!

Yours most sincerely,

I want a live webcam at an AdCom meeting so I can hear what they actually say about us. Wait... no... no I don't.

Oh, and I love the signature. So much researchy nerdiness. :)

Edited by crazygirl2012

Obsession gone bad.......so far, I had been waking up several times every night to check my email but went back to sleep right after....but today, I woke up at 4 and could not go back to sleep at all.....and am now at work, feeling like crap! :(

That's what coffee is for!!!