"You're a Genius all the time"-Jack Kerouac. A thread for those not applying exclusively to Top 15 programs...

Ironheel!!

I called and spoke with Maryland's grad program assistant yesterday due to some problems with a lost transcript. After she said that it was found, she said that the addmissions committee was just meeting this week, and that we should hear something in the next week or so. I think the earlier Maryland acceptance was from someone who sent their app in very, very early and had already been looked at.

Moral of the story: Don't give up on Maryland just yet! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear from them and everywhere else!

Does anyone know whether the Maryland admit came by snail mail or electronically? The website indicated that all acceptances are sent out by letter, and as I am living in the UK right now, it will be killer to wait an extra week for a letter to arrive once I see that other people are geting their decisions!

@ CafeAuLait12 and orst11: Thank you for the encouragement! :) I appreciate it a lot. Yes I'm trying to hold onto hopes...

Just noticed UMaryland has sent out more acceptance notices (congrats to all who got in!!), hopefully they'll notify me soon too. I'd be actually glad to be waitlisted, even. Haha.

By the way, in case anyone is interested, I contacted a graduate program coordinator at PSU the other day and asked when people who haven't yet heard back can expect admission results, and she said files are still being processed.

I hate to be the Debbie-Downer but from my stand point my chances seem to be dwindling daily. I am still waiting to hear back from OSU and PSU, thanks Justanotherperson for the update regarding PSU, and with Maryland now giving out notices along with a few Pitt notifications, it is hard for me to remain optomistic.

Well, I've had an interesting day. This morning I got my official waitlist notice from UT, and this evening I got my unofficial acceptance notice from UC Davis. Judging from what's been posted in the other thread, I guess I'm most likely not getting into my first-choice school, but getting in to my second-choice school is a nice consolation prize :)

Well, I've had an interesting day. This morning I got my official waitlist notice from UT, and this evening I got my unofficial acceptance notice from UC Davis. Judging from what's been posted in the other thread, I guess I'm most likely not getting into my first-choice school, but getting in to my second-choice school is a nice consolation prize :)

I'm probably going to end up at Davis as well, unless I get into Northwestern. Who do you want to work with there?

Adams, Scheiner, and Andrews in comparative. I contacted Adams last semester, and he seemed really excited that I wanted to work with him and that my interests aligned so closely with his. He called me and we had a nice chat about the program and political science in general.

Are you planning on going to the reception thing?

Adams, Scheiner, and Andrews in comparative. I contacted Adams last semester, and he seemed really excited that I wanted to work with him and that my interests aligned so closely with his. He called me and we had a nice chat about the program and political science in general.

Are you planning on going to the reception thing?

I'm fairly certain I'm going to the recruitment event. It's nice that it's 100% paid for, but it's hard to take the time off of work right now (they don't even know I applied to schools). I'll post something on Monday after I send my RSVP.

I'm hopefully working with Huckfeldt and Lubell, doing environmental policy and political behavior stuff. Glad to hear Adams seems friendly!

OK, I've been lurking here for a while.

Anyone have any news on George Washington?

I saw that in past years they seem to have been a little later on notifications...and their deadline was later so that would make sense.

I saw that in past years they seem to have been a little later on notifications...and their deadline was later so that would make sense.

Any news on funding? I've had the impression that funding is limited. As a longtime DC resident, it ain't no cheap place to live.

Anyone else applying to UIowa? Just emailed by a POI there, who said I was admitted to the program (An official letter to follow). I'm so happy and relieved, though funding decisions are yet to be made and I'm a little worried about that.

The POI said I should keep him/her informed about "other graduate institutions that you have heard back from." Anyone has a clue what this means exactly?

Anyways, finally some good news. Thank you for reading and gook luck to everyone!

The POI said I should keep him/her informed about "other graduate institutions that you have heard back from." Anyone has a clue what this means exactly?

It means that you should let him know your other options whenever available. Those info will be a leverage for you to get fundings. Other competitive offers can help your POI to negotiate with the department, or to help the department to lobby the grad school, to convince the authority that you deserve more funding. It also shows your enthusiasm and commitment to the program, so as to help them gauge your interest and whether you deserve how much funding

The POI said I should keep him/her informed about "other graduate institutions that you have heard back from." Anyone has a clue what this means?"

Is it legal to ask such questions? Aren't schools disallowed to require you to disclose that sort of information? Or am I thinking of something else.... Maybe It's just questions about race, gender expression, family situation, etc. that they cannot broach. Anyone know more definitively than I do?

On 2/12/2012 at 9:37 PM, blackcoffee64 said:

Just got invite to interview with WashU, advice anyone?

Congrats! I've never had an admissions interview, but I'd just make sure to review the kinds of things you wrote in your SOP and be ready to elaborate a lot on each aspect of it. WUSTL is a great school; they've produced some really strong graduates in recent years.

I did my undergrad at GWU. A couple of current PhD students and professors there told me that they were stingy with their stipends.

To be fair, that seems like more of a university wide problem then department specific.