Just got my decision from Michigan off of Wolverine. I'm in. Still no email or finaid info. I am so frustrated. I know it's not the right school for me, but I hate that the application process took so long that I've already committed to another school. Serious reforms are in order for the way MSW programs do admissions. :/

Edited by Wishing

Just got my decision from Michigan off of Wolverine. I'm in. Still no email or finaid info. I am so frustrated. I know it's not the right school for me, but I hate that the application process took so long that I've already committed to another school. Serious reforms are in order for the way MSW programs do admissions. :/

Financial aid will probably come within the next few days (mine took 4 days to get to me). My email acceptance came later that day after I figured out I was accepted via Wolverine Access. I haven't even heard ANYTHING from VCU, and as different schools take longer/shorter times, it's really frustrating sometimes. However, that's how it is for every program. Different deadlines means not knowing when you'll get a decision.

Congrats! That took no time at all! Told you we'd both get in! ;-) As for $$, I still haven't received an acceptance email, let alone scholarship info. As a Libra, I'm naturally indecisive so getting into UMIchigan has me rethinking my commitment to UChicago. Of course, my indecision springs from my overactive imagination which has concluded that Michigan will offer me a ton of money. Lol. I wonder if I should call and inquire about this situation, but they probably don't feel like being bothered with me (again). Let me know what happens!

Congrats! That took no time at all! Told you we'd both get in! ;-) As for $$, I still haven't received an acceptance email, let alone scholarship info. As a Libra, I'm naturally indecisive so getting into UMIchigan has me rethinking my commitment to UChicago. Of course, my indecision springs from my overactive imagination which has concluded that Michigan will offer me a ton of money. Lol. I wonder if I should call and inquire about this situation, but they probably don't feel like being bothered with me (again). Let me know what happens!

Haha, yes, I figured we both would! I thought an acceptance from Michigan would make me waver on BU, but instead it's emphasizing exactly how much my original personal "rankings" of the programs I applied to have changed over time. I'm really happy with my decision. Now, if I somehow get tons of aid from Michigan maybe that will change my mind, but it's likely to just make me more bitter about the financial aid situation at BU. I'm out of state, so without significant scholarship money from Michigan BU will still make the most financial sense.

I am still waiting on the National and Community Scholars program decision, so there's that. I haven't been rejected, at least. It would be hard to turn down a big scholarship like that, but the more I consider moving to actually attend the programs the more I'm reissiting the idea of doing an off-location field placement like NCS requires. It seems like more of a headache than it's worth, even with the prestige of having a named fellowship. Blah. Maybe I am more confused than I thought. ;)

So I get insomnia around this time every night & decided to look at all the tabs on Wolverine Access. Well, I have a financial aid package! So somewhere I must have a scholarship because they subtract that amount to determine loans. I was offered $3,000 in work-study & the $20,500 unsubsidized loans. They even threw in $500 of a Perkins Loan (shout out to them for recognizing that I'm not balling on the financial front). I pray that the other $30,000 is pure scholarship $$ & they didn't forget to include Grad Plus loans. Lol. To be continued....

Edited by kristi28

So I get insomnia around this time every night & decided to look at all the tabs on Wolverine Access. Well, I have a financial aid package which means that I have a scholarship because they subtract that to do loans. I was offered $24,000 in work-study & loans. I pray that the other $33,000 is pure scholarship $$ & they didn't forget to include Grad Plus loans. Lol. To be continued....

Congrats on having scholarship stuff up! What tab specifically are you looking under? I perused a couple of mine and didn't see anything posted, but Wolverine Access gives me hives because there are so many damn tabs so I'm not exactly sure where to look and I'm not focused enough to ensure I'm clicking every single place. I know I sound like a dumb*** (it will be a miracle if I win a scholarship at all with this level of critical thinking skills...) but seriously... where am I looking, exactly?

Congrats on having scholarship stuff up! What tab specifically are you looking under? I perused a couple of mine and didn't see anything posted, but Wolverine Access gives me hives because there are so many damn tabs so I'm not exactly sure where to look and I'm not focused enough to ensure I'm clicking every single place. I know I sound like a dumb*** (it will be a miracle if I win a scholarship at all with this level of critical thinking skills...) but seriously... where am I looking, exactly?

Yes to us both being awake!!! Lol. I looked under the "View Financial Aid Award Summary". It wasn't anything posted until after business hours today. I'm just ASSUMING the missing $$ is scholarship. If it's just Grad Plus loans, I will be highly annoyed. But all my other schools put Grad Plus loans on the fin aid package so maybe I'm on to something big!!! Still didn't get an acceptance email yet.

On second thought (& a closer look @ the aid eligibility), who knows if the missing $30,000 includes scholarship or will be all Grad Plus loans. *shrug* I should just wait for a scholarship letter. I now have a headache. Lol.

Edited by kristi28

Hmm, I have the exact same award info you do. I do wonder what the balance is - the other schools I got finaid info from were split... one included PLUS/alternative loans and the other just assumed those would make up the balance and didn't record them. I wonder which Michigan is.

It actually isn't that late here and now I am off to see the midnight showing of The Hunger Games. Lol, I need something to distract me from the non-decision I already made.

Hmm, I have the exact same award info you do. I do wonder what the balance is - the other schools I got finaid info from were split... one included PLUS/alternative loans and the other just assumed those would make up the balance and didn't record them. I wonder which Michigan is.

It actually isn't that late here and now I am off to see the midnight showing of The Hunger Games. Lol, I need something to distract me from the non-decision I already made.

Exact same award, huh? Tis strange. Is this true for everyone else?

I plan to see the movie tonight! I should be sleep given that I do have to teach in a few hrs. Here's to more waiting & hopefully, future clarity! :-)

I initially was only offered $6,000/year in scholarship + $24,000 in loans/work study. Three weeks later I was offered the Child Welfare Scholarship though. Those are separate processes, to review the special programs, so if I hadn't gotten the CWS I would have been stuck with a lot unpaid.

By the way, I'm jealous of all of you going to see Hunger Games...I'm waiting to go with my husband who is drowning in his final semester of law school right now, so it's gonna be a few weeks. Guess I'll just re-read the books :)

I initially was only offered $6,000/year in scholarship + $24,000 in loans/work study. Three weeks later I was offered the Child Welfare Scholarship though. Those are separate processes, to review the special programs, so if I hadn't gotten the CWS I would have been stuck with a lot unpaid.

By the way, I'm jealous of all of you going to see Hunger Games...I'm waiting to go with my husband who is drowning in his final semester of law school right now, so it's gonna be a few weeks. Guess I'll just re-read the books :)

Ahhhh. Thanks for the clarification Ellie! Other schools wait to see the scholarship decision before completing financial aid. I guess UMich gives you the max amount of loans (not including Grad Plus) and then will adjust if your scholarship is more than what's left over.

I've decided that UMich would have to give me at least $28,000 a year to make it considerably cheaper than attending UChicago. I hope I know something soon!

*SN: Are the books good? I'm still on Book 4 of the Game of Thrones series and am contemplating picking up Hunger Games next.

*SN: Are the books good? I'm still on Book 4 of the Game of Thrones series and am contemplating picking up Hunger Games next.

I think the books are fun. They're obviously not a challenging or intellectual read as they're written for young adults, but they're entertaining --- a quick read.

Ahhhh. Thanks for the clarification Ellie! Other schools wait to see the scholarship decision before completing financial aid. I guess UMich gives you the max amount of loans (not including Grad Plus) and then will adjust if your scholarship is more than what's left over.

I've decided that UMich would have to give me at least $28,000 a year to make it considerably cheaper than attending UChicago. I hope I know something soon!

I think the books are fun. They're obviously not a challenging or intellectual read as they're written for young adults, but they're entertaining --- a quick read.

First: The Hunger Game books are phenomenal. Read them. You won't regret it.

Second: I received $13,000k/semester and $20,500 in grants/loans. I didn't receive the grant/loan information until weeks after I received scholarship info.

Thanks for the info! I wish they would hurry up and give me my scholarship decision!! I am the most impatient person I know. Now I'm thinking I will probably get an acceptance email today and scholarship info next week. So sad. So sad. Lol.

Btw, I want my signature to have color. What gives? How do I make that happen? (I'm totally misusing this forum lol). Msg me how if you know! :-)

Hey everyone, so glad to hear about all the good news!!

I went to the open house yesterday, in which a lot of my questions were answered from current students, staff, and field work position leaders. It was really useful, but geared slightly more towards people who were still on the fence about whether or not to attend, so I left a bit early so I could take a nap ;D

Anyway, if you have specific questions about registering for classes, fieldwork, etc. I can help now! Also, I can say that after going to it I am even more confident and happy with my decision. This school has so many good things going for it!!!

A few things that stood out to me:

- They have these elective 1 credit courses every semester, a wide variety to choose from, that focus on learning and honing practical skills in an area, i.e motivational interviewing. They might meet for 8 hours/day one weekend, or be a weeklong, intensive course. (Almost like a workshop?)

- EVERY course at the university is open to you, you can even potentially switch up a requirement for a class in a different school/department if it makes sense. Of course, a lot of classes at Michigan require permission from instructors, and they should have something to do with your interests, but yeah!!

- So many amazing field work opportunities. All are very hands on!!

- The school offers pre-set dual degrees, i.e MSW +JD, MSW+ MPH, BUT you can also create your own dual degree. He talked about a girl interested in environmental justice, for example, who got a Masters in Natural Resources + Environment and an MSW in 2 years. You can start this track in your second year as an MSW, too, if you didn't apply already..it just might mean taking an extra semester or two

Also, everyone was really nice, encouraging, and passionate. :D

Thanks for the info, Roxy. I hate to say this, but I am still really in love with Michigan. Blah. This decision is so hard!

I am curious, did anyone ask questions about the special program applications that are still pending at the open house? I haven't seen anyone mention acceptances or rejections from the National Community Scholars program, and the fact that I haven't been rejected yet (and therefore in my mind still have some remote chance of receiving it) is the only thing really standing in the way of my committment to BU. Without that I can't afford to go to Michigan anyways so it's kind og a moot point. Any word? I'd call, but it seems I can never get anyone on the phone so I'm wondering if anyone else has heard anything.

Hey Wishing, unfortunately no one asked about that for the parts I attended :( I am still very certain that some people who get accepted to the special programs don't hear until early April, which really sucks, but there is still hope!

Decision making is so, so hard. A part of me is still sad I had to say no to B.U! But once you make the decision 100%, you will be happy :D

So I called this morning to see when I will finally receive an acceptance email given that my decision has been on Wolverine Access since last Wed. The woman said they are behind in sending acceptance emails and will get them out "this week". She also said that I wouldn't receive a scholarship decision until AFTER I receive an acceptance letter via email. Ugh!! I think this might be the last straw....

The UMich System is a little different in that you have to go to "financial aid calculator" after your award has posted, and then go to the different screen that mentions the extra grad plus loans. The reason why they don't automatically include the plus loans is because there's an extra verification process and not everyone qualifies. I think this system is more realistic!

So I called this morning to see when I will finally receive an acceptance email given that my decision has been on Wolverine Access since last Wed. The woman said they are behind in sending acceptance emails and will get them out "this week". She also said that I wouldn't receive a scholarship decision until AFTER I receive an acceptance letter via email. Ugh!! I think this might be the last straw....

:mellow:

<_<

For real.

:mellow:

<_<

For real.

No, the last straw was receiving an email saying that they're still accepting applications. Hold up. Y'all are behind. Get it together, formally accept the students you have already admitted, & offer us some damn funds! Geesh! They need to get it together, for real for real!!

No, the last straw was receiving an email saying that they're still accepting applications. Hold up. Y'all are behind. Get it together, formally accept the students you have already admitted, & offer us some damn funds! Geesh! They need to get it together, for real for real!!

For freaking real. People it is going to be TOO LATE for those of us busy planning our lives in other locations. I honestly did not see myself as a "late" applicant (like the 2nd dau of January!), and the other schools I applied to were much more prompt with their responses so why do I get the impression that I am late for the Michigan party?!

I called BU and Michigan today in search of information to help me make my decision.... I got the DEAN on the phone at Boston (he was awesome, btw) and he answered a bunch of my questions. I got an answering machine at Michigan and left a message that hasn't been returned. Usually that wouldn't bother me, but I'm still waiting for a response about a question I asked almost 2 weeks ago (called and emailed) so I'm not holding my breath. I think the cards are falling in to place. I know everyone slated to go there and already there loves Michigan but maybe it's just not the right place for me. I don't get the impression that they care very much whether I decide to attend.