When you say $6,000 a year, do you mean that the amount is all grant/scholarship and the rest of your package is loan? Or does that amount include a combo of grant/scholarship/loan/work-study? I hope my question is clear, lol.

The financial aid notice calls it the "SSW MI Opportunity Grant". So yeah, just a grant. I'm guessing they will start going over work-study and loan stuff once I accept admission? I hope so hahah.

So UMichigan uses a modified rolling admissions process & I am happy I now know what that means! Basically this is why some people who applied before others may not receive a decision before those applicants:

"The Admissions Committee uses a modified rolling admissions process. Files are reviewed in the order in which they are completed, but decisions are not necessarily made in the order in which applications are received and reviewed."

(I got this info from some other school's website, but the process is the same.) Happy waiting everyone! :-)

Did anyone else apply for the GSSA position? If so, have you been selected for an interview? I've been trying to contact Michelle Woods to see if they have contacted people, but she has yet to return my phone call. :-(

Career Services office: 734-763-6259 Someone always answers it during business hours. I do believe all GSSA interviewees for BOTH offices have now been contacted as of yesterday, but you can always call and be sure.

The University of Michigan School of Social Work is pleased to inform you that your application for admission to the Master of Social Work Program has been approved.

Congratulations on your admission to the MSW Program!

AHHH I'm kinda freaking out.

By the way, I kept checking the wrong place for the decision, lol.

Thanks! Now it's decision making time.

It's under Wolverine Access, if you click Application Status, next to View Credentials, it says View Decision. Its the first time I've seen it, and every once in a whle I would check there. But I kept thinking it would be on the main page.

The financial aid notice calls it the "SSW MI Opportunity Grant". So yeah, just a grant. I'm guessing they will start going over work-study and loan stuff once I accept admission? I hope so hahah.

I called the University Financial Aid office today and they told me they won't notifying anyone of financial aid (loans, etc) until next week. They wouldn't even confirm they had received my FAFSA.

My deposit deadline is Thursday and I'm pretty frustrated. I requested an extension on Friday (via email as I was told on the phone). I called this morning to see if I had been granted an extension and they said they'd get back to me, but haven't yet. I cannot make an enrollment decision without ALL my financial info (scholarships, special programs, grants, loans, etc) ... I'm really afraid I'm going to have to say NO just because I don't have the information. :(

When I initially called asking for an extension, they guy on the phone gave me the wrong email address, so I ended up waiting for 3-4 days and got no response. When I went into the office, they gave me the correct email. Did you email ssw.oss@umich.edu? If you email that address, you should hear relatively soon (they confirmed my extension the next day).

Worse case scenario, if Michigan is your top choice, you would have to pay the nonrefundable deposit and then retract your admission

if you no longer want to go there. That's the worst case scenario, but at least it would secure your spot if it is your top choice.

This is what I did with Maryland, paid the deposit and then if I get substantial financial aid from Michigan, I'll just retract my admission.

When I initially called asking for an extension, they guy on the phone gave me the wrong email address, so I ended up waiting for 3-4 days and got no response. When I went into the office, they gave me the correct email. Did you email ssw.oss@umich.edu? If you email that address, you should hear relatively soon (they confirmed my extension the next day).

I emailed ssw.msw.info@umich.edu, and when I called today to check to see if they got the email, I was told it had been received, printed and placed on the desk of the person who made the decisions and they would email me back. Haven't heard anything.

I'm really confused about why I haven't heard anything yet. I applied Oct 17 and was admitted Feb 6. People who were admitted after me have heard back. If they're not gonna give me any money I wish they'd just say it so I could move on! I'm moving to Ann Arbor for my husband's job and so Michigan is the only school I applied to.

Allport! Thanks so very much for your help!

I have a few questions right now -

1) Are you happy with your decision? Do you ever regret it or wonder if somewhere else may have been better?

2) Are they accommodating with helping someone who cannot drive find a nearby field work position?

3) Do most people qualify for work-study? And if so, what kinds of jobs do they get?

4) Last, how probable do you think it would be for me to find a job in Ann Arbor for about 2 years after I graduate with the MSW and get my LCSW? (like, at CAPS, the Depression Center, V.A, UM hospital, etc) ?

THANKS! :)

CONGRATS! That's awesome! So will they automatically renew your scholarship for the second year?

Yes!

19t2s7.png

Wow!!!!! That's so awesome! Super excited for you to come here. I'm starting to think more and more that I will too :)

Let me know if you have any questions about life in Ann Arbor!

Ahh! I'm going to be visiting in april. Where's the best place to live? Cheapest place? Is it worth it to look into on campus housing?

Hi Roxy,

1) Are you happy with your decision? Do you ever regret it or wonder if somewhere else may have been better?

Since I've started the program I have never regretted my decision to come to Michigan. I mainly chose Michigan because of the fit between my interests and faculty interests. Sometimes I do wonder what my life would've been like if I chose one of my other offers, but I am generally happy to be a grad student at Michigan. However, if I had to pick something I didn't like about Michigan it would be the cost of living in the Ann Arbor area. Rent is quite high, so I would recommend living outside the city in Ypsilanti (...regardless of what you may have heard about the crime rates outside of Ann Arbor).

2) Are they accommodating with helping someone who cannot drive find a nearby field work position?

Yes. Every year we have several students who carpool with each other to field work. At my field work site, there are several students who carpool to Detroit every week and the one student who owns the car is reimbursed for the mileage. However, not all field placements have the financial resources to reimburse students on mileage.

3) Do most people qualify for work-study? And if so, what kinds of jobs do they get?

Yes. Because the FAFSA categorizes grad students as independent from their parents, most students qualify for work-study. I believe the max work-study award is $1,500 per semester. Many students find research assistantship positions as their work study placement. However, there are also plenty of places on campus you could work if you'd rather be doing something other than research. The student employment website is a good place to look for work study jobs (https://www.studente...ingSources.aspx). Also, you can contact individual faculty members to see if they have the funds to hire a work study student.

4) Last, how probable do you think it would be for me to find a job in Ann Arbor for about 2 years after I graduate with the MSW and get my LCSW? (like, at CAPS, the Depression Center, V.A, UM hospital, etc) ?

Since I study macro practice, I am not sure of the probability of finding a job with CAPS, the Depression Center, V.A., etc. after graduation. However, I do know that many of the interpersonal practice and mental health students have their field work placements with CAPS, V.A., UM hospital, etc. Having your fieldwork placement at a place you would potentially want to gain employment in the future would be a very wise decision as the organization will be able to gain an understanding of your strengths and work ethic.

Thank you SO much, Allport. All very good and helpful to hear. Are you applying for a PhD in social/personality now? That was my first (of several) plans for post-grad, but then I decided I am not quite ready for a PhD yet haha.

Yes!

19t2s7.png

Ahh! I'm going to be visiting in april. Where's the best place to live? Cheapest place? Is it worth it to look into on campus housing?

Sweet! Well, if you want to live very close to the SSW, you should live on central near the major streets South University Ave and State St. But both of those 1) are pretty expensive because of their proximity to central campus and 2) more undergrad oriented. I live right by the SSW now, and while it's been great for undergrad, if I come back next year I'm thinking of living further off campus, however mostly so I can have a change since I've managed to live on the same street all four years!

Some really great areas for grad students is anywhere in "Kerrytown", which is the super lovely, historical neighborhood in Ann Arbor. It's a bit more of a hike to Central Campus and the SSW, but still isn't too bad. It's about a 15-20 min. walk vs. a 5-10 min. one. It's often a bit cheaper around there too. Another plus to Kerrytown is that you have everything you need right there - Shops, world-famous deli's (for real!), the farmer's market, and two local, small grocery stores. I always have to use a car to get groceries from where I live now, it would be sooo nice to just walk in and out :)

I've been looking at some apt. complexes that are less student oriented and more "family", just because they look super nice and are right near bus stops, like The Ponds at Georgetown, yet are quite cheap. For places like this, you could drive, bike in good weather, or take a local bus called "The Ride". It is free for UM students which is nice!

I am also considering moving nearer to North Campus, which is not close to the SSW either, but is cheaper, quieter, and has a lot of pretty nature. Plus the bus situation would be very easy since I'm already pretty familiar with the Michigan Blue Busses (you will recognize these right away when you come visit!)

So I guess all in all - there's no one cheapest and best place to live since there are so many options around here!! Also, if you want an amazing location, amazing building, and decent for grad students, but are willing to pay a tad extra, I'd go for 411 Lofts. I highly advise against any of the other "luxury" apt's in Ann Arbor 'cause they're bursting with undergrads that, well, are somewhat annoying. 411 Lofts is super great though and it's another place I may live!

Hope this helps :D

Edit: Oh yeah - on campus housing for grad students is a little non-existent. You could live in "Northwood" on North Campus, which are campus owned apt buildings, but you could find way better for the same price. The thing with Ann Arbor is that so much housing, even though it's technically considered "off campus" is still super close to campus buildings. For instance, my house is just across the street from the Business School and a dorm called East Quad, but still technically off campus!

Edited by roxyshoe