Kristi, I would recommend asking U Chicago for an extension if you didn't do that already. I wish I had. I e-mailed them this weekend about how I had to rescind my acceptance and they have not gotten back to me about it yet, which makes me nervous. And I felt pretty bad having to do that in the first place too =/ Maybe just ask if you can wait until April 1st or so because you are waiting on other admissions decisions, but be sure to ask that this will not influence your fin. aid. negatively. If so, then you should go ahead and accept.

Well, I finally heard back on financial aid (it's been 4.5 weeks since I was admitted). I only got $3,000 a semester.

Attached to my email was an acceptance to the Community Based-Initiative Program, which was interesting because I applied to the Child Welfare program, NOT the CBI.

So, I called to find out what was up and they basically said "oh, sorry, we sent you the wrong form". So, no scholarship.

Still waiting on the Child Welfare decisions, but it's looking like I'm not going to be attending school this year with only $3,000 (and a fake scholarship offer).

Does anyone have any insight on how successful one might be in requesting additional funds from Michigan? Or if second year aid is any more generous? Student debt will be new to me, and I'd prefer to keep it as under $50k as humanly possible, aiya.

I was granted an extension on my admissions decision (3/30), but told I could go ahead and accept financial aid... But if I accept the financial aid now can I still request more before I commit? I feel awkward asking, even though the worst thing is that they'll say no. I suppose I'd just prefer taking a temperature check before putting it all out there.

Also, can one safely assume that Special Programs acceptees have already been notified?

Well, I finally heard back on financial aid (it's been 4.5 weeks since I was admitted). I only got $3,000 a semester.

Attached to my email was an acceptance to the Community Based-Initiative Program, which was interesting because I applied to the Child Welfare program, NOT the CBI.

So, I called to find out what was up and they basically said "oh, sorry, we sent you the wrong form". So, no scholarship.

Still waiting on the Child Welfare decisions, but it's looking like I'm not going to be attending school this year with only $3,000 (and a fake scholarship offer).

Dang, that sucks about the fake scholarship. But you are still in the running for Child Welfare, no fear! No news is good news for now. I also got 3k/semester. It's really nothing, but I hope to apply to some more scholarships that they apparently offer in September.

Does anyone have any insight on how successful one might be in requesting additional funds from Michigan? Or if second year aid is any more generous? Student debt will be new to me, and I'd prefer to keep it as under $50k as humanly possible, aiya.

I was granted an extension on my admissions decision (3/30), but told I could go ahead and accept financial aid... But if I accept the financial aid now can I still request more before I commit? I feel awkward asking, even though the worst thing is that they'll say no. I suppose I'd just prefer taking a temperature check before putting it all out there.

Also, can one safely assume that Special Programs acceptees have already been notified?

For one, NO! about the Special Programs!! I know 2 people in the JCLP special program that did not hear until early April. Just remember how recently some people turned in their apps, March 1st. And Michigan even accepts more after that. I am pretty sure the Special programs try their best to get a good idea of the complete applicant pool before handing out acceptances. I got my rejection from the Global program only three days after my admission's decision. So I would say no news is good news, for real.

Second, I don't think that's a weird think to ask :) Definitely everything with money gets awkward, but they understand. I need to muster up the time/courage to ask about the possibility of in-state tuition for me...you'd think since I've lived here for so long now that ~maybe~ they'd consider it?

Also, I do think second year aid can be more generous. Plus, I heard UMich starts offering way more applications to other scholarships in September, so I am banking on those a bit! :)

That's awful. I would feel terrible if the same happened to me. Just wait and see the final decision...I got rejected by Global Special Program. Finger crossed for you!!

As far as I know, one of a Chinese student for 2010 Fall got accepted by the community one in April. (Interestingly, she declined the admission in March)So... wait .. and wait.. and wait.... that's all we can do...

Kristi, I would recommend asking U Chicago for an extension if you didn't do that already. I wish I had. I e-mailed them this weekend about how I had to rescind my acceptance and they have not gotten back to me about it yet, which makes me nervous. And I felt pretty bad having to do that in the first place too =/ Maybe just ask if you can wait until April 1st or so because you are waiting on other admissions decisions, but be sure to ask that this will not influence your fin. aid. negatively. If so, then you should go ahead and accept.

Did they accept your request?

Edited by xxxxling

I was just told by the Office of Student Services that decisions on the Child Welfare Scholarship will not be made for another 2 - 4 weeks.

When I saw this I laughed out really loud, literally. They just couldn't understand how the waiting is killing us, could they.

Well, ok, this is a busy time bla bla.

Congrats, Kristi! I am still waiting, of course. Really I just want to see if I get in, and I haven't received a rejection from the National Community Scholars program, either, which is interesting. I am still probsbly going to BU though. I don't think anything Michigan says would sway me at this point.

[quote name='angelajeanx3' timestamp='1332344617' post='1057827527'

YAY!!! Congratulations!

Thanks!

Congrats, Kristi! I am still waiting, of course. Really I just want to see if I get in, and I haven't received a rejection from the National Community Scholars program, either, which is interesting. I am still probsbly going to BU though. I don't think anything Michigan says would sway me at this point.

Thanks Wishing. Just glad I know now. Unless their fin aid offer is super amazing, I probably won't attend. You should hear back by the first week of April (based on your app date). Happy waiting!

Thanks Wishing. Just glad I know now. Unless their fin aid offer is super amazing, I probably won't attend. You should hear back by the first week of April (based on your app date). Happy waiting!

Thanks for the heads up! I love Michigan but I'm not so impressed by the response times, especially since it sounds like they didn't send your financial aid info with your acceptance.

Thanks for the heads up! I love Michigan but I'm not so impressed by the response times, especially since it sounds like they didn't send your financial aid info with your acceptance.

Ditto. Everyone else automatically included the scholarship decision. But I also haven't received an email about the acceptance. I checked Wolverine Access this morning & there was a decision link. So we shall see.

Ditto. Everyone else automatically included the scholarship decision. But I also haven't received an email about the acceptance. I checked Wolverine Access this morning & there was a decision link. So we shall see.

I got my scholarship info very soon after my acceptance. I received my acceptance the 24th of February, and received my financial info the 28th. So, hopefully that's how it is with you as well.

I got my scholarship info very soon after my acceptance. I received my acceptance the 24th of February, and received my financial info the 28th. So, hopefully that's how it is with you as well.

I hope so! I submitted my Fafsa in February & the website said I'd get more information about my admission in the "next few days".

Also, did you receive your scholarship decision thru email or wolverine access?

Edited by kristi28

I received an email about the scholarship info from the SSW which contained departmental scholarship/grant info. Financial aid from the school finaicial aid office didn't come for a couple weeks after, which contained my work study and loans. However, I received a huge scholarship from UMich so I had already decided to attend before I got my financial aid package from the school.