For freaking real. People it is going to be TOO LATE for those of us busy planning our lives in other locations. I honestly did not see myself as a "late" applicant (like the 2nd dau of January!), and the other schools I applied to were much more prompt with their responses so why do I get the impression that I am late for the Michigan party?!

I called BU and Michigan today in search of information to help me make my decision.... I got the DEAN on the phone at Boston (he was awesome, btw) and he answered a bunch of my questions. I got an answering machine at Michigan and left a message that hasn't been returned. Usually that wouldn't bother me, but I'm still waiting for a response about a question I asked almost 2 weeks ago (called and emailed) so I'm not holding my breath. I think the cards are falling in to place. I know everyone slated to go there and already there loves Michigan but maybe it's just not the right place for me. I don't get the impression that they care very much whether I decide to attend.

Word! I'm going to leave this thread for the people who are happy about Umich. Unless a miracle happens, I'm sticking with UChicago. I'm really disappointed in how things turned out, but maybe it's a sign. I'm happy with my choice, just wanted to see if the grass was greener. Too bad there's no grass (acceptance letter/scholarship) to look at. Lol!

Word! I'm going to leave this thread for the people who are happy about Umich. Unless a miracle happens, I'm sticking with UChicago. I'm really disappointed in how things turned out, but maybe it's a sign. I'm happy with my choice, just wanted to see if the grass was greener. Too bad there's no grass (acceptance letter/scholarship) to look at. Lol!

I'm just wondering why the email is so important? You don't need the letter to accept or decline the offer?

I'm just wondering why the email is so important? You don't need the letter to accept or decline the offer?

Nope, but I won't get a scholarship decision until after the email so it's just prolonging things for no reason. I just felt more informed & wanted by other schools. Just frustrated because UMich was my #1 choice at one point & like Wishing, I feel like they could care less whether I enroll or not. It's all good though.

Nope, but I won't get a scholarship decision until after the email so it's just prolonging things for no reason. I just felt more informed & wanted by other schools. Just frustrated because UMich was my #1 choice at one point & like Wishing, I feel like they could care less whether I enroll or not. It's all good though.

I don't think that it's because they don't care whether or not you enroll, but that there were probably over 1000 applicants, and sometimes they get backed up. I've worked in an admissions office before and realize it's VERY frustrating, but it's also really hard to control some things. They're probably working hard to get everyone the tools they need, even if it doesn't seem like it.

Haha, yes Krisi, probably we should take the rest of this convo to PMs so people won't get too defensive!

I'm sure UMich is a wonderful school and I defintiely have nothing against it! I just personally hate bureaucracy. Do I think they could do a better job being communicative with applicants/admitted students? Yes. Other people obviously have different experiences. No harm, no foul. :)

Just to keep things in perspective about how long things are taking...

- I applied 10/17/11

- I was admitted 2/6/12

- I heard about SSW scholarships on 3/8/12 (a month later)

- I heard unofficially I got the Child Welfare Scholarship on 3/15/12, and officially on 3/22/12

Things took a long time for me, but it worked out. Obviously I don't know if it'll work out for you because we're all different, but this process sure taught me a lot about patience. :blink: And I'm very glad it worked out, because Michigan is the only school I applied to because I'm already moving to Ann Arbor for my husband's job, and if it didn't work out I'd have to wait 2-3 years to try again. But sooo happy it did work out! :)

Man, I've having trouble finding some place to live that isn't going to cost an harm and a leg or have a 45 minute bus ride! I found an apartment complex about 2.5 miles away, but they want to charge me $40/month for my 7 pound cat which is just ridiculous.

Anyone have any suggestions of a good place to live? I don't like complexes, but I haven't found any apartments in houses that allow the flexibility I need for the 16 month program.

Man, I've having trouble finding some place to live that isn't going to cost an harm and a leg or have a 45 minute bus ride! I found an apartment complex about 2.5 miles away, but they want to charge me $40/month for my 7 pound cat which is just ridiculous.

Anyone have any suggestions of a good place to live? I don't like complexes, but I haven't found any apartments in houses that allow the flexibility I need for the 16 month program.

I'm moving up in May (I subletted an apartment until September) and I'm going to look around while I'm there. When are you planning on moving?

I'm moving up in May (I subletted an apartment until September) and I'm going to look around while I'm there. When are you planning on moving?

My current lease is up Aug 13, so sometime around then. It doesn't make sense for me to leave my job (with benefits) any sooner when my husband's job doesn't start till Aug 20. I'm hoping that as more time goes by landlords will get a little desperate to fill their units and lower their prices, or being willing to negotiate.

I probably won't be able to make a trip to Ann Arbor to look at places until at least mid April. (luckily I'm just 3 hours away so can make day trip)

My current lease is up Aug 13, so sometime around then. It doesn't make sense for me to leave my job (with benefits) any sooner when my husband's job doesn't start till Aug 20. I'm hoping that as more time goes by landlords will get a little desperate to fill their units and lower their prices, or being willing to negotiate.

I probably won't be able to make a trip to Ann Arbor to look at places until at least mid April. (luckily I'm just 3 hours away so can make day trip)

Ohh, that's lucky! Yeah, I look every once in a while on Craigslist but once I'm there, I plan on visiting apartments and stuff. Ideally, I want to get a kitten, so animal friendly would be great for me, as well.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but leasing in Ann Arbor is brutal. The majority of people sign leases for the following year in December or January, so there isn't much left over come the summer time. Finding a place close to campus = a lot more money, unless you're willing to share a house with five other people. Most one bedrooms near campus (within walking distance/a short bus ride away) run at around $725-$950 per month (most of which do not include all the utilities); studios are slightly cheaper. From my experience, landlords do not negotiate and do not lower rates. Unfortunately, students are a captive audience in AA, and landlords will charge a lot for less than stellar apartments/rooms in houses because they can always find someone who is willing (read: desperate enough) to pay their price.

My friend who is living in a one bedroom apartment in downtown Chicago pays $150 less per month than me, and all of his utilities are included. My other two friends live in one bedrooms in downtown DC and pay less per month than I do, and I'm definitely not living in swanky digs here. It's infuriating, to be quite honest.

Your best bet is to find a place sooner rather than later, and definitely shop around. Most places here are run by slum landlords who are only concerned about getting your money each month. Definitely do your research on the management companies and the reviews of the complexes (if you're looking at apartments).

Sorry to be a downer, but 7 years of housing in Ann Arbor has made me slightly bitter =\ Good luck, though!

Edited by acb1023

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but leasing in Ann Arbor is brutal. The majority of people sign leases for the following year in December or January, so there isn't much left over come the summer time.

Thanks for the insight. I went to undergrad at Miami University, and we would sign leases a year in advance...so August 2004 I signed my lease for August 2005...I lived 1.5 miles from campus in a house with 5 girls and we paid $600/month/per person, plus all utilities.

Anyways, I've been contacting landlords now, but haven't had much luck. If I had the ability to go visit places right now I would, but my husband is in law school and won't have time to take a trip for another few weeks. I hate not being able to work out these details already!

If you applied for a Child Welfare Scholarship and haven't heard back yet, I was accepted today, but will sadly turn it down because I was already offered the GSSA position. What I hope this means is one of you will get the spot! It sounds like an amazing opportunity, and best wishes to everyone - can't wait to meet you in the Fall! Those going to other school, have an amazing experience.

Congratulations! See you in the fall!

Thanks for the insight. I went to undergrad at Miami University, and we would sign leases a year in advance...so August 2004 I signed my lease for August 2005...I lived 1.5 miles from campus in a house with 5 girls and we paid $600/month/per person, plus all utilities.

Anyways, I've been contacting landlords now, but haven't had much luck. If I had the ability to go visit places right now I would, but my husband is in law school and won't have time to take a trip for another few weeks. I hate not being able to work out these details already!

Will you have a car? If so you should seriously consider just living in one of the many inexpensive, further off campus apartments. I will most likely be doing that, but taking the free bus to campus. All the same, living in walking/biking distance to campus is super nice despite the cost. Check out craigslist and the off campus housing website often. There was a GREAT two bedroom apt I looked at off of hill and brown st., not sure if it is still available. Also a 1 b/r in that complex. If you have a question about how good a specific location might or might not be, let me know!

OK, just read some earlier posts. These are the complexes I have looked at:

Traver Knoll

Shoreview

Spruce Knob

Glencoe Hills

The Ponds at Georgetown

My favorite by far is The Ponds - great, easy location, short bus ride to campus, safe and clean looking. But, none of the utilities are included which really hikes the price up.

If I end up renting somewhere (family is now actually considering purchasing a foreclosure since I'll probs be here for a while/it will help our tax bracket or something), I will probably end up at Spruce Knob. It's a decent location, looks nice, and is cheap. It is also directly across the street from the JCC, which may end up being a good field work option.

I LOVE Traver Knoll, the apartments are huge and it's in a beautiful area, but it's just a bit too far maybe. Though I would be very close to Kerrytown. Shoreview is also nice for that reason, and one of the cheapest options. It overlooks the Huron River which is cool, but for some reason I wasn't super into it.

The truth is that finding a place to living that's cheap and nice in Ann Arbor this late in the game is ridiculously hard - even for someone who currently lives here and has been looking since early March =/

There are a lot of walking distance to campus places that allow cats, though! Just keep chugging and hopefully some more things will turn up :)

I have also looked at lots of near campus, overpriced complexes: 411 Lofts (so nice, but too $$$), Zaragon (seriously do not live there so expensive and filled with people who take cabs to go two blocks), and Corner House Apartments. DON'T LIVE THERE EITHER, amazing location but the smelliest, grossest, place that is way overpriced for how tiny and plain the apt's are.

There are also lots of random apartments (in houses, small complexes, etc) that I've seen from friends living there too if you wanna try to get input on those.

So I was admitted. At this point with no information about scholarships of any type, is there any rhyme or reason to the amounts listed under the loan category? Is it possible that those numbers will go up or down depending on what, if any, scholarships I get? Can anything be inferred from these numbers?

So I was admitted. At this point with no information about scholarships of any type, is there any rhyme or reason to the amounts listed under the loan category? Is it possible that those numbers will go up or down depending on what, if any, scholarships I get? Can anything be inferred from these numbers?

Congratulations!

Wait for the email from the Social Work department, as well as an email from Financial Aid. Financial Aid might have already figured out your loan information, and the numbers could be what they offered you based on your FAFSA. Have you received emails from either department?

No emails, yet! I have the anxious waiting problem common on this thread! :) When you say "figured out loan information", that would be just the amount of loans available based solely on FAFSA?

Yeah, based on your FAFSA, they offer you a certain amount of loans. The most you can get is like $20,000 or something.

Thanks! I am going to just enjoy the fact that I'm admitted for a few days and worry about money later. There's going to be plenty of time to worry about money over the next two years.

Is anyone on the forum planning on the community systems program?

OK, just read some earlier posts. These are the complexes I have looked at:

Traver Knoll

Shoreview

Spruce Knob

Glencoe Hills

The Ponds at Georgetown

My favorite by far is The Ponds - great, easy location, short bus ride to campus, safe and clean looking. But, none of the utilities are included which really hikes the price up.

If I end up renting somewhere (family is now actually considering purchasing a foreclosure since I'll probs be here for a while/it will help our tax bracket or something), I will probably end up at Spruce Knob. It's a decent location, looks nice, and is cheap. It is also directly across the street from the JCC, which may end up being a good field work option.

I LOVE Traver Knoll, the apartments are huge and it's in a beautiful area, but it's just a bit too far maybe. Though I would be very close to Kerrytown. Shoreview is also nice for that reason, and one of the cheapest options. It overlooks the Huron River which is cool, but for some reason I wasn't super into it.

The truth is that finding a place to living that's cheap and nice in Ann Arbor this late in the game is ridiculously hard - even for someone who currently lives here and has been looking since early March =/

There are a lot of walking distance to campus places that allow cats, though! Just keep chugging and hopefully some more things will turn up :)

I viewed a model apartment at Traver Knoll & Shoreview today and was really impressed. Traver Knoll was enormous and had huge walk in closets, which is hard to find in Ann Arbor! If you mention you are affiliated with the university, they deduct $25/month from your rent. I was really impressed with the quality. For $800/month, you get 800 square feet, a dishwasher, huge closets, a huge walk-in closet, and a patio/balcony.

I live at Island Drive Apartments right now. I pay $819/month for a third-floor one-bedroom, that's close to the AATA bus stop across the street. If you don't have any complaints with the apartment, then it's a great location and a fine place to live (right across from the UM Hospital, and about a 10 minute bus ride to campus, and a 20 minute walk to campus). However, once you start dealing with the leasing office (which is inevitable), then you start to see why it has an abysmal rating on apartmentratings.com [http://www.apartment...partments.html# ]. Also, for someone who detests house centipedes and huge spiders giving birth in my shower in the wee hours of the morning, this past summer in this apartment gave me daily anxiety attacks.

After viewing Traver Knoll, I viewed Shoreview. For $730/month, it's not bad, and it's definitely the cheapest option in the area. However, like roxyshoe, I just wasn't feelin' it. Perhaps because the bus doesn't run as regularly back there, or perhaps that it was smaller (650 square feet, I believe). I'd rather pay the extra $70/month and live at Traver Knoll for an additional 150 square feet.

That being said, I paid the $99 security deposit + $25 application fee for Traver Knoll. I was really excited about it, until I read the horrendous reviews (http://www.apartment...Apartments.html) about the place when I got home (mildew/mold problem, theft, horrible and incompetent management [which is the norm in AA, unfortunately], assault, and a pedophile was arrested there a year ago). All this makes me think I was a bit rash in my excitement over seeing the model. I'm starting to wonder if I should have just stuck with Island Drive and put up with weird hybrid bugs & centipedes for another year or two. :unsure:

Edited by acb1023

Ugh, there's theft at Traver Knoll too? Hopefully you will be okay. I'm sure a lot of these are rare incidents =/

I still haven't signed a lease anywhere since it looks like purchasing the one place might go through. If that doesn't work, though, I think the only apartment complex I would sign at is Spruce Knob. Otherwise will try more to find smaller owned places.