CSULB Applicants

mrod88

I will consider myself lucky if I hear back from them by May. I summitted my app on the deadline date. A couple of years ago my friend applied and was waitlisted. She didn't get an official admission until ONE week before Fall semester started. I'm really hoping I hear back from them by May though. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Well, we'll keep each other updated. Hoping for the best for both of us! I hate the anticipation. =(

Seriously!!! Man, I just got rejected from SDSU and CSULB is the only other school I really want to get in to! I want it so bad!!!

I'm so saddened to hear this, would you mind telling me when did you turn in your apps?

I'm so saddened to hear this, would you mind telling me when did you turn in your apps?

Yikes.... Things aren't looking so great for me... Anyone heard from sdsu? I'm hoping I get put into the three year program instead of being rejected/waitlisted

I turned in my app a couple of days prior to Jan. 15th and got a response last week saying I was not able to get in. I'm not too sure why, but I might send them an email to see how I could strengthen my application. I really wanted to go there, but now I'm hoping to get into CSULB's program.

I know this is a thread for CSULB, but is it true that SDSU gives priority to local students before out of towners? I hope CSULB doesn't do that. =/

The closer you wait to the cutoff date, the less your chances are to be accepted. I was at CSUDH back in January and the folks in the office were opening apps. I said wow, are these people going to be accepted into the program... They said probably not, we do not have very many spots. So, be encouraged.... If you are not accepted this year, apply next year - but much much earlier. I applied last year on the cutoff day and I received a rejection letter. I told myself I would apply earlier this go around. I applied five days after the application process. I was the fifth one to have turned in their app... So be encourage either way... Trust me, I am speaking from experience.

I turned in my app a couple of days prior to Jan. 15th and got a response last week saying I was not able to get in. I'm not too sure why, but I might send them an email to see how I could strengthen my application. I really wanted to go there, but now I'm hoping to get into CSULB's program.

I know this is a thread for CSULB, but is it true that SDSU gives priority to local students before out of towners? I hope CSULB doesn't do that. =/

Hey sooperGILLY, would you mind sharing your stats? I applied to SDSU and my webportal says my app is under review since Jan 11th. I submitted on Jan. 10th. I emailed them and said my review was complete on Feb. 20th but I still haven't got a letter. I wonder why. My review is complete, you would think that I would get a letter no matter what the decision was, right?

Hey sooperGILLY, would you mind sharing your stats? I applied to SDSU and my webportal says my app is under review since Jan 11th. I submitted on Jan. 10th. I emailed them and said my review was complete on Feb. 20th but I still haven't got a letter. I wonder why. My review is complete, you would think that I would get a letter no matter what the decision was, right?

I don't have the best GPA in the world: 2.9 cumulative, but a 3.3 in my last 60 units. I felt very confident with my personal statement and I don't have any literal social work experience, although I have been part of a church youth retreat team for 12 years that mentors children/teens and do similar social work type things.

I received a letter from CSULB the other day stating that they reviewed my application, but am put into a "pending" status. (Still very optimistic though.) I hate how I have to wait until the end of the application cycle for them to get to me. They said it'll be by July, but I wish I could know sooner since in Sacramento and would need to look for housing.

Anybody else get a "pending" letter or have any experience with that in the past?? I'm really hoping they accept me!

CSULB is notorious for not getting back to people as late as June just FYI, so you guys who are waiting might want to plan ahead just incase anything happens. One of my friends didn't hear back till late May.

Best of luck to you all!

Still haven't heard from CSULB... even getting someone from Admissions on the phone has been challenging. Ugh!

They recently sent out an email to me about financial aid and wanted me to fill out some form... but still don't know if i've been accepted. i spoke with someone and have been told most people won't hear until may, they received a ton of applications this year according to admissions.

Blaaaah! I was told mid-April about a month ago. And now it's May?! I wish they would just tell me I'm rejected so I can go on with Plan B and stop obsessively checking my email. sigh.

They recently sent out an email to me about financial aid and wanted me to fill out some form... but still don't know if i've been accepted. i spoke with someone and have been told most people won't hear until may, they received a ton of applications this year according to admissions.

Blaaaah! I was told mid-April about a month ago. And now it's May?! I wish they would just tell me I'm rejected so I can go on with Plan B and stop obsessively checking my email. sigh.

Seriously. I hate that they put me in a "pending" status. I mean, I guess it's better than getting rejected, but I just hope they're highly considering my application since they didn't reject me right away. That letter was such a tease, man. =/

sooperGILLY:

When did you summit your app? At least you know where you stand. I haven't heard anything since the dept. told me they have received my app. I need to know no later than June whether I got in or not so I can start applying for the CAL-SWEC stipend. The anticipation SUCKS!

sooperGILLY:

When did you summit your app? At least you know where you stand. I haven't heard anything since the dept. told me they have received my app. I need to know no later than June whether I got in or not so I can start applying for the CAL-SWEC stipend. The anticipation SUCKS!

Hey MROD,

That's REALLY weird that you haven't heard by now. I received my waitlist letter on Feb. 24th. I know someone who got an aceptance letter at the same time. Maybe your application is really good and they are trying to eliminate one of your competitors. I would give them a call (though you probably have) and see what's up. I submitted on Jan. 11th so it wasn't exactly early in the season and I got a response.

sooperGILLY:

Oh man...I submitted my application to CSULB probably a couple days before the deadline. And yeah, the anticipation really does suck!

Have you contacted the Department yet regarding your pending status? Do you think we'll actually have to wait until July before we hear back?! Through reading the forums, it looks like more people have been put in the "pending" catergory than accepted. What gives?!

Oh man...I submitted my application to CSULB probably a couple days before the deadline. And yeah, the anticipation really does suck!

Have you contacted the Department yet regarding your pending status? Do you think we'll actually have to wait until July before we hear back?! Through reading the forums, it looks like more people have been put in the "pending" catergory than accepted. What gives?!

I tried emailing the social work dept, but they haven't replied to me yet. I asked if there's a possibility we'll find out before July. I really don't wanna wait that long because I live 8 hours away and if I get in, I'm sure I'd need more than a month to find a place to live. =/

Well... for all you guys who are pending, here's their reply. Nothing we probably didn't know already though:

"July is the estimated date around which you will hear back. If the process speeds up then it's possible you may hear a little sooner but I would just count on it being July. The department has to see of those students that were granted admissions, the number of those that accepted and will attend in the Fall. Depending how many openings are still available, the applicants with "pending" status are then considered."

I guess we can just hope that a whole bunch of people who were accepted to the CSULB MSW program don't accept admission and select a different school. The more people who do that, the better of a chance we got. Poop... I guess that just means we really gotta wait a few more months. =(

Edited by sooperGILLY

Thanks for sharing this info. Sounds like at least there is SOME probability to hear back before July. At this point, I've been waiting for a definitive answer for half a year....what's another 3 months, right?! Haha :-)

Well... for all you guys who are pending, here's their reply. Nothing we probably didn't know already though:

"July is the estimated date around which you will hear back. If the process speeds up then it's possible you may hear a little sooner but I would just count on it being July. The department has to see of those students that were granted admissions, the number of those that accepted and will attend in the Fall. Depending how many openings are still available, the applicants with "pending" status are then considered."

I guess we can just hope that a whole bunch of people who were accepted to the CSULB MSW program don't accept admission and select a different school. The more people who do that, the better of a chance we got. Poop... I guess that just means we really gotta wait a few more months. =(