Questions I was asked

crazygirl2012

Hey everyone-- I just returned from my first interview day, and I wanted to share some of the questions I was asked in my individual meetings. I know it differs by program, but it can't hurt to be prepared, right? This was for an experimental psychology Ph.D. program.

1. What are your research interests and ideas?

2. Tell me more about [anything on my CV].

3. Based on your interests and mine, what kinds of projects do you see us working on together?

4. What kind of career do you want in the future?*

*This topic came up more often than I thought it would. Make sure you have an answer prepared for whether you see yourself in industry or academia, and if academia, whether you want to focus more on research, teaching, or a mix of both. Know what size and type of university would be ideal for you.

And the number one question: "Do you have any questions?". Everyone will offer to answer your questions all day. Have some prepared, and pace yourself! If you forget to ask something, don't worry, they'll ask again later if you have any questions. :)

Thanks for sharing! I'm down 1.5 interviews, 2.5 to go, so I'm still stalking these fora to help prepare myself. I'll share some of the general questions I've gotten so far:

Where do you see yourself and your interests 5 years down the line?

Slightly more generally - what future avenues do you want to take with your work? (EVERYONE asked me this.)

What are you working on RIGHT NOW?

What have you done since graduating?

Questions about methodologies, which I need to prepare a less incoherent answer for.

And a lot of really specific questions about my work.

And not a lot of questions about why I see myself fitting into their program, although I'm still preparing to answer questions like that, that focus more on them than me.

It's really all been about turning my SoP into a long, extended conversation.

And YES!!! Be prepared to ASK QUESTIONS! Don't be afraid to ask hard questions either, because you're pretty much at the stage where you are feeling out the school for your own fit, too.

I thint this is a great topic to start And add for future reference

...questions asked to me.....( this is for psycology)

1.rank the research process you are most comfortable with...1 bad 10 being excellent(the 5 research steps)

2.what u think the important trait for a researcher

3. What theories about development psychology excites you the most

4. What authors have you reAd recently

5. How would u manage deadlines

6.if I came into ur office what wud I find

7. What r some of ur research ideas

I specifically asked what their mentoring style was...wat kind of subjects they recruit..wat projects they are currently working on

And the number one question: "Do you have any questions?". Everyone will offer to answer your questions all day. Have some prepared, and pace yourself! If you forget to ask something, don't worry, they'll ask again later if you have any questions. :)

This for sure! I also interviewed at an experimental psych phd program on Friday (based on the questions you listed crazygirl2012, I'm almost convinced we were at the same interview!) and I was asked this question multiply times by all of the faculty I interviewed with as well as the grad students. I was easily asked this question 20+ times that day. I had some questions prepared ahead of time and I thought of others while I was there. I also found it very helpful to listen to the questions (and the subsequent responses) the other prospective students asked.

Main questions I was asked:

Why are you interested in this program?

What do you know about my (my POI's) research?

I'm currently working with a specific ethnic group, so I was asked why I am interested in this group.

Questions about my CV (mainly previous research projects)

What are my general research interests?

Overall I found the whole experience pretty laid back, though I was absolutely exhausted by the time the interview was over.

This for sure! I also interviewed at an experimental psych phd program on Friday (based on the questions you listed crazygirl2012, I'm almost convinced we were at the same interview!) and I was asked this question multiply times by all of the faculty I interviewed with as well as the grad students. I was easily asked this question 20+ times that day. I had some questions prepared ahead of time and I thought of others while I was there. I also found it very helpful to listen to the questions (and the subsequent responses) the other prospective students asked.

Main questions I was asked:

Why are you interested in this program?

What do you know about my (my POI's) research?

I'm currently working with a specific ethnic group, so I was asked why I am interested in this group.

Questions about my CV (mainly previous research projects)

What are my general research interests?

Overall I found the whole experience pretty laid back, though I was absolutely exhausted by the time the interview was over.

Maybe we were! That would be fun. :) Did the school have another interview day on Monday, perchance? Or PM me the name of it if you want to find out. Regardless of whether or not it was the same school, I completely agree that interview day was pretty laid back but exhausting.

Did the school have another interview day on Monday, perchance?

The school does have another interview day Monday (today)! I'm pretty sure it's the same school. I PM'd you. :-)

Edited by psychdork

Hey everyone-- I just returned from my first interview day, and I wanted to share some of the questions I was asked in my individual meetings. I know it differs by program, but it can't hurt to be prepared, right? This was for an experimental psychology Ph.D. program.

1. What are your research interests and ideas?

2. Tell me more about [anything on my CV].

3. Based on your interests and mine, what kinds of projects do you see us working on together?

4. What kind of career do you want in the future?*

*This topic came up more often than I thought it would. Make sure you have an answer prepared for whether you see yourself in industry or academia, and if academia, whether you want to focus more on research, teaching, or a mix of both. Know what size and type of university would be ideal for you.

In regards to question 3, were they asking you to identify a possible future research thesis topic?

Edited by fisherm1

In regards to question 3, were they asking you to identify a possible future research thesis topic?

Yes, they did. Two interviewers at my second school asked as well, as did a phone interviewer last month. It's a good idea to have a tentative plan for your master's thesis. You don't need to go into a ton of detail, but be prepared to answer some questions about basic methodology and hypotheses.