I received an offer from U of A yesterday for a place in their MA English program, with an RAship — after sleeping on it, I accepted this afternoon. (Although Alberta was more or less my top choice of all the programs I applied to, I felt a little impulsive accepting my first offer so soon in the process. But now that I have, what a relief.) My areas of interest are rhetoric and composition and medieval studies.

Any takers for the other Alberta acceptances that have been posted? Other applicants to Canadian programs? Any alumni?

Best of luck to everyone on their applications.

Edited by speakwrite_

Thanks, antecedant!

Frozenroses, congratulations! I'm coming from within Canada — I did my undergrad at the University of British Columbia, and am currently in Toronto. My partner is from Calgary and has a good friend from Edmonton, so I'll share their collective wisdom, as I have none:

- The winters might kill you, but the summers are mild and gorgeous and full of festivals.

- The theatre and music scenes are great. (Symphony, choral, punk.)

- Fun neighbourhoods around the university: Garneau, Old Strathcona, Belgravia; downtown and the area around 118 Ave are up and coming.

- The Carrot Coffeeshop is cool, apparently?

I've looked on craigslist, and the stuff there looks pricey right now; there's also not much of it. That could be because it's winter in Edmonton, and nobody wants to move. Stuff under "rooms and shares" is much more reasonable, and in line with what I've heard about the cost of living being quite low in Alberta. I'm hoping to find a place off campus, since grad housing is a bit pricey.

There's one PhD student there who was in my program in undergrad, a couple of years up. Other than that, I don't know anyone.

(Edited because I am all about typos, and making them.)

Edited by speakwrite_

hahah I liked your disclaimer. I am excited to freeze into an ice block. Or rather, I am not at all, but I am following a supervisor and therefore will suck it up. I know one person there too. I am thinking of applying to the grad housing - furnished, shared so its mildly cheaper but still on par with Toronto - I figure it would be the easiest thing to do first year, and then I can move on once I have figured out where I'd like to live, got a car or whatever :) When I was there I liked Whyte ave area.. Great to meet someone else in the English department though! I was very pleased to get in!

I'm another MA acceptee, but I declined, as I have offers from the States, and in my concentration, that's where I need to be. As for the cost of living, rent is really quite high here if you want to live in a nice and safe neighbourhood, but everything else is a bit cheaper than other big Canadian cities. The area around the University has lots going for it in terms of shops, coffee hangouts, ethnic food (Langano Skies for scrumptious Ethiopian, Remedy Cafe right off campus for Indian/Pakistani & chai, Sugar Bowl for bistro food and hipster student watching, the list goes on and on), and its proximity to Whyte Avenue, and UAlberta's faculty is fantastic. Enjoy! (And enjoy the fact that your funding is cushy despite massive cuts in Arts spending of late, it's a very good thing that the cuts haven't reached the students directly yet, though indirectly it's definitely happening. The faculty no longer have phones!).

Langano Skies for scrumptious Ethiopian, Remedy Cafe right off campus for Indian/Pakistani & chai, Sugar Bowl for bistro food and hipster student watching.

I disagree with your top three choices. 1) Oodle Noodle, 2) Lebanese joint on North side of Whyte in between 108 and 109 st, 3) Famoso Pizza (just opening up) and then take it over to the Black Dog Freehouse (yes, you can take your own food in there). Mind you, the dahl at Remedy is both cheap and delicious.

I enjoy living in Edmonton, and this winter has been pretty mild so far. But I agree with the above posters in that Whyte Ave is the best area to live for sure. So much to do.

I disagree with your top three choices. 1) Oodle Noodle, 2) Lebanese joint on North side of Whyte in between 108 and 109 st, 3) Famoso Pizza (just opening up) and then take it over to the Black Dog Freehouse (yes, you can take your own food in there). Mind you, the dahl at Remedy is both cheap and delicious.

I enjoy living in Edmonton, and this winter has been pretty mild so far. But I agree with the above posters in that Whyte Ave is the best area to live for sure. So much to do.

Those aren't necessarily my top three, just some suggestions. Langano is my absolute favourite, as I love Ethiopian food and how healthy it is, but your suggestions are great too! And yes, this has been an insanely mild winter.

Is there much of an alternate scene - as in, bars, live bands etc ( local or otherwise)

There are a tonne of open-mic type events on Whyte during the weekends, and there's always a local hall or bar show on the weekends as well. Wunderbar has had some pretty good shows lately, actually.