Post-Acceptance Stress & Misc. Banter

It's best not to jerk a program around and jump through all the hoops-- as well as spend their diminishing recruitment, tie up the admission spot for someone else, etc--if you're SURE you aren't going there...it was strange, but I declined two offers already. One of which was from a faculty member I was close with, hinting that, since I had gotten a much better offer elsewhere, I should consider declining early; his ability to recommend someone else was tied up by my admission, and I had no intentions of going there.

So it might not be easy (its actually quite difficult), but you really are doing more harm than necessary by waiting til the 15th of April on a decision that is for you already made. The department and the DGS at the rejected school will live, don't worry; in fact you'll be helping them more by giving them some time to find the best replacement possible. Of course, don't prematurely decline if the choice is not so easy, but we all really should be more inclined to do so. The second school's recruitment weekend I couldn't make (due to work), and simply told them I declined when I declined the visit (I imagine they kind of got the point anyway).

Off the heels of your post, I remembered to go ahead and decline Buffalo. Hope that helps some lucky Am Studies scholar!

So it might not be easy (its actually quite difficult), but you really are doing more harm than necessary by waiting til the 15th of April on a decision that is for you already made. The department and the DGS at the rejected school will live, don't worry; in fact you'll be helping them more by giving them some time to find the best replacement possible. Of course, don't prematurely decline if the choice is not so easy, but we all really should be more inclined to do so. The second school's recruitment weekend I couldn't make (due to work), and simply told them I declined when I declined the visit (I imagine they kind of got the point anyway).

Maybe my intentionally vague post was too vague. I am not even close to making a decision.

It wouldn't be fair to either school (or to myself) to make a decision without visiting both towns, meeting the faculty and other students, and exploring my options. Sadly, one school doesn't have their open house until early April, which means I'll be screwing someone else no matter what.

I would most certainly decline if I had any idea which school I favored, but I do not.

It wouldn't be fair to either school (or to myself) to make a decision without visiting both towns, meeting the faculty and other students, and exploring my options. Sadly, one school doesn't have their open house until early April, which means I'll be screwing someone else no matter what.

THIS. Damn you, UT!!!! I really don't think I'll be prepared to make my final decision until after I've visited and talked to people there. Grrrrr. It's frustrating.

I did my undergrad at Chapel Hill.

What was your program, spasticlitotes? I graduated CompLit just this past May.

And good luck on the rest of your apps!

Edited by Bayo

And those of you with one acceptance are not the beneficiaries of some strange fluke in the application process! A program isn't going to accept you--and support you, financially, professionally, etc--unless they really want you. The folks at your accepting institution think you're pretty darn awesome, and you should share their enthusiasm for your accomplishments.

A thousand times.

For what it's worth, I adore Providence, and it's you can make the drive to Boston in less than an hour.

All you Chapel Hill folk should PM me and tell me about it. (Okay, really I should PM you and ask about it, but that's too much effort right now... :rolleyes: ). I'm really seriously considering the program there!

Anyone else feeling the "OMG I really want to go to School X!!!! I'm gonna find everything out about town X! ...Oh, shit, I forgot about School Y's library... And School Z's kick-ass faculty in this area." GAHHHHHHH so frustrating!

I've been lucky enough to receive a few offers, but one is from my dream school (which was also my first offer!), so there is no real contest. I'm close to my POI at the other PhD program I got into, so she already knows (in fact, already knew when the adcom met) that I won't be attending. I'll inform the other program as soon as they send me the appropriate form!

My big post-acceptance stress is that I suddenly have 0 motivation to finish my honours thesis. A few months ago I was excited about it (finally, I get to write on exactly what I want!), but now it just seems like the final hoop I have to jump through before I can move on with my life (I'm finishing my 2nd Bachelor's degree. I am so ready to move on.) Instead of writing it, I find myself reading books and articles by the professors in my future program, and looking up all sorts of information on the department/university/city. I realize that this is probably pretty common, but also, scary. :mellow: Need to finish it!

I think what my acceptances have taught me is how woefully underprepared for this process I was. I had a professor who just figured that, coming from the program I did, all I had to do was send out an honest application with some killer references and I'd be whisked up by some PhD bestowing god, handing me a cushy funding package and a pat on the head. I thought that was fishy at the time, but now I'm sure that attitude is just a relic of the old boys(or ladies) club mentality that doesn't really fit anymore.

Instead, I'm looking at two (likely three) unfunded MAs in, granted, very interesting departments. At the beginning of this though, I just didn't expect I would have to figure out how to cover 40-80k of tuition and living costs out of pocket, on top of dealing with the feeling that the universities must have not funded me for a reason.

At this point (and barring any miracles/catastrophes), I'm pretty much planning on taking a masters and regrouping. I hope that getting more experience in my field and in academia will strengthen me as an academic/researcher and that this strength will be reflected in my PhD applications in two years. I already have a bit of an idea of what needs to change in my apps for the next go around, and I think a masters will only help me clarify and focus my studies. I'm afraid the choice this time around will boil down to a great MA with no funding or an unknown MA that I can afford, but I'm trying not to start counting those chickens just yet...

Edited by antecedant

I have to say, my biggest is concern at this point is this: what if April 15th rolls around and I have to accept CUNY, but then Rutgers contacts me after and says I'm in? How does one decline after accepting and what are the consequences?

If Rutgers is conducting its waitlist process as it has been in years past (I was on the waitlist a couple of years ago), they probably will keep in good contact with you, letting you know your chances of an acceptance over the next few weeks. The last thing they want is for a potential student to find themselves in the position you're describing and the DGS was nothing but forward with me about my chances and my position on my field's waitlist.

Great thread!

I am facing the biggest decision I've ever made in my life. I have been so fortunate with my acceptances, and I am eternally grateful. Still, it's going to be a tough decision, especially since yesterday's acceptances at Brown and Columbia were complete surprises. They were reach schools by definition, and I didn't think I had a chance.

I've never been to Providence, so I am definitely going to visit for their recruitment day. I used to live in NYC, so I know what life would be like at Columbia.

Now it's down to very, very critical thinking over the faculty mentors, job placement records, and overall philosophy of each program. I've been reading through all the program's brochures, student handbooks, etc., to get a better feel.

Funding is virtually the same at Brown and Columbia, but NYC living expenses will quickly wreck that equality.

I am also considering which place is more theory intensive, as I tend to be less than enthusiastic (polite version) when it comes to literary theory. I think Brown is more theory intensive, but it's a tough call.

I grew up and live in Providence, so if you have any questions, want any recommendations for places to visit when you're here, feel free to PM me. :)

So, I was accepted to Oregon State's MA program with a scholarship offer and am third on the waiting list for a TA position. I was then accepted to Washington State with an outright offer for the TA-ship for two years, fully funded, pretty decent stipend. The choice should be a no-brainer, and I think it will be, but I so had my heart set on living in Oregon that I can't help but feel torn. This process is as much about relocating as it is about academia for me, which I know is rare amongst most graduate school hopefuls.

If Rutgers is conducting its waitlist process as it has been in years past (I was on the waitlist a couple of years ago), they probably will keep in good contact with you, letting you know your chances of an acceptance over the next few weeks. The last thing they want is for a potential student to find themselves in the position you're describing and the DGS was nothing but forward with me about my chances and my position on my field's waitlist.

That's good. The ad-comm chair said he would be keeping in touch via phone. Thanks for letting me know. Did you get in? Where did you end up going?

Apparently I live a 21 hour flight away from NY. Although presently (and, in all likelihood, finally) I only have one option, do you think there is any chance that the university would be prepared to fork out some money for a visit? (Someone I know who got into Stan. was able to organise this with her/his Engl. dept.) Also, I wonder about relocation costs, as if I accept the offer, flights are probably like $1-2k and I also have all my books that I'd like to have access to.

Any thoughts would be super-appreciated x

Edited by arrivant

Apparently I live a 21 hour flight away from NY. Although presently (and, in all likelihood, finally) I only have one option, do you think there is any chance that the university would be prepared to fork out some money for a visit? (Someone I know who got into Stan. was able to organise this with her/his Engl. dept.) Also, I wonder about relocation costs, as if I accept the offer, flights are probably like $1-2k and I also have all my books that I'd like to have access to.

Any thoughts would be super-appreciated x

Schools providing moving and travel costs are not uncommon, so you should definitely inquire. The worst they could do is say no. Or rescind their offer of admission, along with a nasty e-mail scorning you for even asking. :)

I believe NYU or Columbia offers some relocation funds. You're probably not going to get anything out of state schools, but some of the private schools may have funds. It doesn't hurt to ask. Also, keep track of moving expenses. They are tax deductible. Most programs will offer some money to cover a visit, but it is unlikely they will pay for a plane ticket from abroad.

Another in what will probably be a string of naïve questions (sorry!): I am a 'Fellow', apparently, and wonder whether my stipend will be taxed? (And if so at what rate?). I ask because where I'm currently studying for my MA my stipend is not taxed (as it is part of a government-conferred scholarship, I guess, being a public university and all).

Arrivant: Fellowships, from my understanding, are taxed, though you have to request to have taxes removed from your monthly amount. I believe they are taxed differently than, say, TA wages, though.

Dorinda: I emailed my recommenders periodically to let them know where I'd been accepted and rejected. If you feel like you'd like some advice, I would email now. I can assure you that both Chicago and Duke are respected among the pros. . .I'm not sure why you would question that, but talk to people in your current department for their perspective. I would not give gifts; that can be perceived very awkwardly. Hearty thank-yous or maybe a card would, in my opinion, be appropriate.

Arrivant: Fellowships, from my understanding, are taxed, though you have to request to have taxes removed from your monthly amount. I believe they are taxed differently than, say, TA wages, though.

Dorinda: I emailed my recommenders periodically to let them know where I'd been accepted and rejected. If you feel like you'd like some advice, I would email now. I can assure you that both Chicago and Duke are respected among the pros. . .I'm not sure why you would question that, but talk to people in your current department for their perspective. I would not give gifts; that can be perceived very awkwardly. Hearty thank-yous or maybe a card would, in my opinion, be appropriate.

I baked them all cookies. That's not weird, is it?