Post-Acceptance Stress & Misc. Banter

Thanks for this Trip! I think.

My reaction exactly. I've been thinking about moving to Bushwick and Crown Heights lately and this is shaking my confidence a bit. Ah, whatever. I'm fucking tough. I mean, ultimately you can't make your choice on where to live based on where you think you are least likely to be murdered. That's just too weird.

Edited by TripWillis

NYC is in fact an remarkably safe city, for its size. The drop since 08 is just part of a general, giant reduction in crime in New York since the early 90s, which is an extreme case of a general national trend. (My favorite theory is that the Clean Air and Water acts reduced childhood exposure to lead. It's a serious theory with a lot of evidence going for it.)

Unfortunately, the NYPD also has a habit of shooting unarmed black men, beating undeserving suspects, and using illegal surveillance on Muslims.

Haha arrivant, staten island would be doable but you have to take a ferry from the most northern part of the island to get to the city. And the train system there is super slow. And driving everywhere is toll-laden. I had a boyfriend who lived there, I'm a brooklyn gal.

While that map is useful, it isn't giving you the context. Remember, there are 8 million permanent residents in New York City, and a vast number of visitors at any given time. Compare that number of people to the homicide numbers listed and think of the odds.

Bushwick is fine. Really. I live pretty far east on the L train and it's safe.

...Oh, except for that homicidal drug dealer who hangs out on my stoop ;)

I also lived on Staten Island for about a year and can confirm that the ferry is awful and the express buses are too expensive. But I've never had better pizza in my life... Denino's... *sigh*

Haha arrivant, staten island would be doable but you have to take a ferry from the most northern part of the island to get to the city. And the train system there is super slow. And driving everywhere is toll-laden. I had a boyfriend who lived there, I'm a brooklyn gal.

I am also, to quote Jay-Z, Brooklyn til I die.

@trip- did you grow up in brooklyn? If so where'd you go to school.

I grew up in rural Michigan, actually. Then I spent 7 or so years in Boston. I moved to New York three years ago and Brooklyn two years ago.

So yeah, Brooklyn til I die!... or until I move to someplace new.... probably New Brunswick... then it's New Brunswick for 5 years, but then MAYBE if I can get a job in Brooklyn I'M BROOKLYN TIL I DIE. ...

:mellow:

My reaction exactly. I've been thinking about moving to Bushwick and Crown Heights lately and this is shaking my confidence a bit. Ah, whatever. I'm fucking tough. I mean, ultimately you can't make your choice on where to live based on where you think you are least likely to be murdered. That's just too weird.

You need to look at murder rates. Brooklyn has the most people of all the boroughs. Come on, Ms. Baldwin

Edited by koolherc

While that map is useful, it isn't giving you the context. Remember, there are 8 million permanent residents in New York City, and a vast number of visitors at any given time. Compare that number of people to the homicide numbers listed and think of the odds.

My posting of the map was totally tongue in cheek. I hope no one is taking it too seriously. :)

You need to look at murder rates. Brooklyn has the most people of all the boroughs. Come on, Ms. Baldwin

First of all, it's Sir Baldwin.

Second, I'm just joking around. No one should take the map post seriously. NO ONE!

Besides, I'm not worried about getting murdered; I'm worried about getting accosted by a stupid subway performer. WHY IS IT NECESSARY TO PLAY A FULL DRUMSET IN THE STATION? In fact, I wish the NYTimes would make a map like this for subway performers so I could try to move far away from the most densely populated stations.

Sometimes when that is happening, I think I'd like to be murdered.

Edited by TripWillis

@cquin- I'm not a pizza lover despite being a native NY-er but Denino's is pretty epic. What part of the island were you on?

I was in Westerleigh. Joe and Pat's was a block away from my place. And Goodfellas (that vodka pie...is...unreal). Now I am starving.