Post-Acceptance Stress & Misc. Banter

You guys, UW-Madison just awarded me a fellowship. Should I accept or wait around for other schools, just in case?

Wow, congrats! I've heard it's really difficult to get first-year funding at Madison, so that's pretty amazing. As for your other schools, how do you feel about them? Would you choose any of them over Madison? Even if you would, you still have a month to come to a final decision. I wouldn't rush it; it's always good to take the time to let the euphoria settle down and look at your options rationally.

You know, this process has been very illuminating for me this year in particular. I have to say I'm really surprised that so many places that I thought were in the respectable/upper tiers in various fields seem to not fund the first year, or fund partially, and so on. Perhaps naively, I used to think most places wouldn't bother admitting PhD students if they could not be fully funded + a minimum stipend awarded. It's disturbing how many times I've seen offers being reported that don't carry even a tuition waiver.

Is it common for many people to accept such offers? I could imagine coughing up $$ for an MA that can power you into a good PhD, but I can't imagine doing that for the PhD itself...

Wow, congrats! I've heard it's really difficult to get first-year funding at Madison, so that's pretty amazing. As for your other schools, how do you feel about them? Would you choose any of them over Madison? Even if you would, you still have a month to come to a final decision. I wouldn't rush it; it's always good to take the time to let the euphoria settle down and look at your options rationally.

I think that's what I'l dp. It's a great offer and a good school. What do you guys think about Madison?

I'm still waiting to hear from UMass Amherst and CUNY. I think they're both great schools, but have yet to hear back from them.

Still, legally I have a month to decide.

You know, this process has been very illuminating for me this year in particular. I have to say I'm really surprised that so many places that I thought were in the respectable/upper tiers in various fields seem to not fund the first year, or fund partially, and so on. Perhaps naively, I used to think most places wouldn't bother admitting PhD students if they could not be fully funded + a minimum stipend awarded. It's disturbing how many times I've seen offers being reported that don't carry even a tuition waiver.

Is it common for many people to accept such offers? I could imagine coughing up $$ for an MA that can power you into a good PhD, but I can't imagine doing that for the PhD itself...

I hope people don't often accept unfunded Ph.D. offers.  We in the humanities already have diminutive funding compared to the sciences (this is illuminating in this regard); accepting anything less than a funded offer is madness.  I don't expect that the public at large, who are mostly anti-intellectual as it is, should pay us $30k a year to carry on humanistic research, but we ought at least be given a living wage.

So.. I will not be hearing anything about funding for up to a couple of weeks, and that is quite demoralizing. More practically, I may be able to do something about this (to an extent) by applying to many scholarships, assistantships outside of my department, etc. The thing is, I think I have to be enrolled to apply. So.. any thoughts on what it might mean if I didn't get the scholarships OR funding from my department, and had to leave the program? I'm sure in this economy everyone would understand, but it might reflect badly on me in a future application season.

I've formally submitted my enrolment at my selected university. Is it safe to decline my other offers. I've been petrified that my chosen university will turn around and say "Ah, just kidding! We rescind your offer!"

I'm pretty sure they couldn't even do that if they wanted to after you accept

I've formally submitted my enrolment at my selected university. Is it safe to decline my other offers. I've been petrified that my chosen university will turn around and say "Ah, just kidding! We rescind your offer!"

Great work! Which one did you go with in the end, if you don't mind? Feel free to PM if that's more convenient.

OMFG I had a nightmare that this happened! I went to a visiting day for one of my schools and the DGS was like "ehh, so... we kind of changed our minds and don't want you anymore." 

OMFG I had a nightmare that this happened! I went to a visiting day for one of my schools and the DGS was like "ehh, so... we kind of changed our minds and don't want you anymore." 

Ahh, good to hear that it is a common anxiety.

Right now, I am deciding between two different schools (University of Maryland and University of Arizona). I am trying to figure out how important money, teaching load, and visits are. Maryland has offered me a first year fellowship with no teaching responsibilities, and then a mixture of 1/1 and 1/2 teaching assignments. The no teaching first year seems like a huge advantage, so I can power through my coursework and stay on timeline. Additionally, Maryland has tons of resources for its students (publication workshop, the DC consortium, money for travel) and faculty who are invested in feminist and activist scholarship. I had a chance to visit Maryland, and I fell in love with the campus and clicked with the community. Maryland is also near DC, which puts me close to DC resources for research AND allows my partner to keep his current job. 

On the other hand, Arizona only has TAships available: a 2/2 load throughout all five years, with two opportunities to bring the teaching load to one class. Arizona's program has an amazing emphasis on community outreach and praxis, which excites me, but it I feel like the teaching load might consume my time and distract me from my scholarship. It provides a strong foundation in rhet/comp, but doesn't feature as much flexibility in course selection. Really, I am equally attracted to both programs, with money being the only difference. 

I haven't visited Arizona yet. I was originally planning on visiting during April, but I'm so tempted to save the money (they aren't able to fund student visits) and choose Maryland. Also, if I don't visit Arizona, my partner and I can use that vacation time to travel to Maryland and scope out the neighborhoods. I feel deep in my heart that Maryland is the right place for me, but I'm still anxious about making such a big decision. I guess the obvious solution is to just visit, but I can't until April, and like I said, would love to save the money and time. 

Ahhhh! I am just so ready to know where I'm going to end up. I want to know now, so I may be rushing this. Or maybe I'm being smart and going with my gut? I DUNNO. Help?

Well, it sounds like you already know what you want to do! 

Teaching load is obviously quite important. I do sometimes think that people overestimate the difficulty of teaching two of the same course in the same semester. Two courses of the same class isn't nearly twice the work of one of the same course. But, yeah, teaching load is a big deal. Would the rest of your cohort be teaching the first year, at UM? Would they be participating in a mentor group or practicum?

To my admittedly imperfect perception, UM is not in the same ballpark as U of A as far as rhet/comp programs go. Of course, such things are fluid, others might disagree, and I don't think those considerations should overwhelm what are otherwise obviously better choices. 

U Maryland sounds like a no brainer.

Thanks. I feel like it's an obvious choice, and I just need others to point that out.

Well, it sounds like you already know what you want to do! 

Teaching load is obviously quite important. I do sometimes think that people overestimate the difficulty of teaching two of the same course in the same semester. Two courses of the same class isn't nearly twice the work of one of the same course. But, yeah, teaching load is a big deal. Would the rest of your cohort be teaching the first year, at UM? Would they be participating in a mentor group or practicum?

To my admittedly imperfect perception, UM is not in the same ballpark as U of A as far as rhet/comp programs go. Of course, such things are fluid, others might disagree, and I don't think those considerations should overwhelm what are otherwise obviously better choices. 

No, I believe every first year UM student has no teaching responsibilities. There is a teaching practicum course that is required of all first year students, so we'd have a chance to bond then. But you're right; I've been teaching at a community college for three years now, and when I get to teach different sections but the same class, my life is so much easier! Depending on the week, prep time can be more intensive than grading.

I totally agree about UM vs. Arizona in terms of rhet/comp status, and it's why this is a tough decision. I think UM is on the rise, though. They recently doubled their rhet/comp faculty, and they redid their program so rhet/comp students don't have to take any lit classes. Like U of A, they have a near 100% job placement rate for rhet/comp students. Still, there are some disadvantages: they don't offer as many graduate rhet/comp seminars (although, that should change soon). My rhet/comp friends all think I'm crazy to be leaning towards UM!

Edited by proflorax

Proflorax, I noticed you were also admitted to UIUC.  If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to decline? 

I just got back from visiting there and loved it, so it's just a matter of curiosity of my end.

I was there too! But I was admitted to the Writing Studies program, so our paths didn't cross that much. Were you at the dinner at Jessica's house with the amazing guacamole? 

I decided to decline UIUC for a few reasons. The personal reason is that it is hard as hell to get there from California. My partner's dad is 80 years old with lots of health problems, so it's important to me that we can get home quickly if we need to. Also, I didn't feel like I really clicked with the Writing Studies program; the people are great, but the program itself isn't for me. With a bunch of retirements and new hires, I felt like the identity of the program is in flux, and I was surprised to see that composition studies is not really emphasized in the program currently.

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised to see how developed Urbana-Champaign really is. I was expecting a much much smaller community given how it has been described by family and friends, but U/C is definitely much bigger than most of the towns where I've lived, albeit much more isolated. Also, the lit program seemed really tight-knit and supportive. Do you think you'll end up there?

Right now, I am deciding between two different schools (University of Maryland and University of Arizona). I am trying to figure out how important money, teaching load, and visits are. Maryland has offered me a first year fellowship with no teaching responsibilities, and then a mixture of 1/1 and 1/2 teaching assignments. The no teaching first year seems like a huge advantage, so I can power through my coursework and stay on timeline. Additionally, Maryland has tons of resources for its students (publication workshop, the DC consortium, money for travel) and faculty who are invested in feminist and activist scholarship. I had a chance to visit Maryland, and I fell in love with the campus and clicked with the community. Maryland is also near DC, which puts me close to DC resources for research AND allows my partner to keep his current job. 

On the other hand, Arizona only has TAships available: a 2/2 load throughout all five years, with two opportunities to bring the teaching load to one class. Arizona's program has an amazing emphasis on community outreach and praxis, which excites me, but it I feel like the teaching load might consume my time and distract me from my scholarship. It provides a strong foundation in rhet/comp, but doesn't feature as much flexibility in course selection. Really, I am equally attracted to both programs, with money being the only difference. 

I haven't visited Arizona yet. I was originally planning on visiting during April, but I'm so tempted to save the money (they aren't able to fund student visits) and choose Maryland. Also, if I don't visit Arizona, my partner and I can use that vacation time to travel to Maryland and scope out the neighborhoods. I feel deep in my heart that Maryland is the right place for me, but I'm still anxious about making such a big decision. I guess the obvious solution is to just visit, but I can't until April, and like I said, would love to save the money and time. 

Ahhhh! I am just so ready to know where I'm going to end up. I want to know now, so I may be rushing this. Or maybe I'm being smart and going with my gut? I DUNNO. Help?

I'm not in rhet/comp, so I can't speak to discipline-specific issues between U of A and UM, but in most other respects, UM seems like the better choice.

I feel deep in my heart that Maryland is the right place for me, but I'm still anxious about making such a big decision. I guess the obvious solution is to just visit, but I can't until April, and like I said, would love to save the money and time. 

I think what you said here makes it clear what the best choice for you is. I'm not Rhet/Comp, but I've always felt that the program that is right for you and will shape you into the most successful scholar you can be is not necessarily the program that has the best reputation or even the highest concentration of faculty and resources in a specific area, but the best combination of resources, environment and opportunities that you're looking for. One thing I came away from Maryland with was the feeling that there is real freedom to shape your study and draw on their resources to make the program meet your needs. But I can completely understand your anxiety about the decision. The other offers I have so far aren't even viable options, and I had nothing bad to say about Maryland after the visit day, but I still went home feeling anxious about deciding to attend, even though it's pretty much a given. This process is stressful even when things are working out perfectly!

Good luck, and I'm happy we might be seeing each other at UMD again in the fall :)

I was there too! But I was admitted to the Writing Studies program, so our paths didn't cross that much. Were you at the dinner at Jessica's house with the amazing guacamole? 

I decided to decline UIUC for a few reasons. The personal reason is that it is hard as hell to get there from California. My partner's dad is 80 years old with lots of health problems, so it's important to me that we can get home quickly if we need to. Also, I didn't feel like I really clicked with the Writing Studies program; the people are great, but the program itself isn't for me. With a bunch of retirements and new hires, I felt like the identity of the program is in flux, and I was surprised to see that composition studies is not really emphasized in the program currently.

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised to see how developed Urbana-Champaign really is. I was expecting a much much smaller community given how it has been described by family and friends, but U/C is definitely much bigger than most of the towns where I've lived, albeit much more isolated. Also, the lit program seemed really tight-knit and supportive. Do you think you'll end up there?

As a matter of fact, I was at the dinner!  I didn't try the guacamole, though.  Obviously I should have.

Those are pretty sound reasons for declining.  Program chemistry is hugely important, and it's not something you can determine remotely:  what sounds good on paper might not work in person.  That's why I'm eager to visit each of my acceptances before I begin seriously considering a final decision.  That said,

it sounds like you've got great chemistry from UMD.  Based on your acceptances, I don't think you can make a bad decision, so you should definitely go with your heart.

I was hugely impressed by the Lit program at Illinois, for exactly the reasons you stated:  the students and faculty seemed really friendly and supportive, so I did feel like I clicked there.  Not only that, but the library's massive holdings are so very enticing, and I like that there are many opportunities to teach literature classes -- and a variety of lit classes at that.  It's too early to tell, but I am leaning Illinois at this point.  That may change in the next couple weeks when I visit Ohio and Texas.  What I can say for sure is that campus visits are a lot of fun.  :D