Post-Acceptance Stress & Misc. Banter

Dear school of choice (a.k.a. only school that accepted me.. but.. but you were my second choice, really you were):

Please, please, give me a fellowship or Teaching Assistantship so that I can read books all day, and teach, and pore over my most beloved literary works that otherwise I must always sneak reading in between other duties (or somehow work into my final papers for every English course I take).

Signed,

Your academic slave for at least two years

Yep! I'm going too! I've asked a current student but haven't gotten an answer yet - do you know what the TA situation there looks like? Do you teach discussion sections as well as sitting in on the lecture? I'm trying to figure out how heavy the TA load is that first year.

I really have no idea yet. I haven't heard anything and haven't yet asked. I probably should.

Went to UChicago's visiting day yesterday and it was in short awesome.

Despite living in Illinois all my life (and relatively close to Chicago) I had never been on their campus before and it's really quite striking. I've also never been to a private university before, so all the enclosed gates and required authorization to enter the library and such was new, but oddly comforting. Every faculty member I spoke with seemed really engaged and though yes it was a visiting day, the grad students gave the impression that while this was by no means a snapshot of daily life, even the most distinguished professors regularly answer e-mail. That's always a concern since at schools it's very possible to have a "superstar" committee who hardly ever offer feedback.

And now I finally have my spiel down when people ask, "What do you do?" !

Yep, Chicago is fantastic. I suspect I will be a bit dazed during my Yale visit, but I think I'll always have a soft spot for Chicago. Who'd you meet with?

Yep, Chicago is fantastic. I suspect I will be a bit dazed during my Yale visit, but I think I'll always have a soft spot for Chicago. Who'd you meet with?

I had "formal" meetings with Eric Slauter, Chris Taylor, and Raul Coronado, but otherwise got to talk with a lot of people. I specifically had long-ish discussions with Ken Warren, Adrienne Brown, Deborah Nelson, and Heather Keenleyside. Lauren Berlant was at the opening faculty panel, but I didn't get a chance to speak with her. I did speak with someone who has her on her dissertation committee and she encouraged me to get in touch.

It was quite dazzling! 

Any thoughts on whether I should e-mail, or call instead, a visiting professor at the university I am thinking of attending? She was recommended to me as a potential contact by a professor I know. I don't think she will be expecting me to contact her, though.

Alternatively, I may be able to meet her when I visit. I just wanted to make contact with various people early enough to weigh my decision carefully, especially given that funding is still hanging in the balance.

Any thoughts on whether I should e-mail, or call instead, a visiting professor at the university I am thinking of attending? She was recommended to me as a potential contact by a professor I know. I don't think she will be expecting me to contact her, though.

Alternatively, I may be able to meet her when I visit. I just wanted to make contact with various people early enough to weigh my decision carefully, especially given that funding is still hanging in the balance.

I would do it. Just tell the professor that you were encouraged to reach out to him/her by Professor so-and-so that you know (that is, if the visiting professor knows the professor you know).

Should I be nervous about a school that is not willing to help out admitted students with the cost of visiting the program for their open house? One of my schools initially said they'd pay a certain amount when I was accepted, but is now saying they are no longer able to do so. Might this mean the program is having serious budget problems, something that should concern me?

Perhaps this is indicative of a kind of Stockholm Syndrome, but frankly I'm amazed that any public university departments can offer travel funds. I wouldn't assume the worst based on a lack of travel funds, which are always a luxury (I'm sorry to say). What is the specific language of your funding offer? Mine specifically guaranteed five years of funding. Does it say you have to reapply every year or something similar?

It is guaranteed for 4 years (I have an MA). I was told that 5th year funding is almost always available for students who remain on track. 

I'm just a little annoyed. I CAN pay for the visit (it's within driving distance) but it seems in bad form to notify a student of the "change" after they have already made travel arrangements. 

Has anyone had this happen to them? I

I got a phone call from a school wanting to know why I had not responded to their acceptance offer. I did not receive an email or letter from them.

Has anyone gotten into a program and was not notified?

I got a phone call from a school wanting to know why I had not responded to their acceptance offer. I did not receive an email or letter from them.

I'm expecting the same call from Berkeley any day now. ;-)

Edited because I forgot to actually respond: no, that sounds wild -- did they forget or was it a lost letter?

Edited by girl who wears glasses

I'm expecting the same call from Berkeley any day now. ;-)

Edited because I forgot to actually respond: no, that sounds wild -- did they forget or was it a lost letter?

I don't know, it was a voicemail and the office was closed when I called back. I'm really curious to know what happened.

That's bizarre. @BrookeSnow, did you check your spam folder?

Yes, nothing. But this is the school that had the most difficult application. I had to have my recommendations sent 4 separate times to three different email addresses for the school to get the letters. 

Edited by BrookeSnow

I just checked Georgia State's website and finally have another acceptance to my name.  It's beyond thrilling to know I have a choice and that it wasn't just a fluke I got into one program.  No official word on funding yet, though.

I just checked Georgia State's website and finally have another acceptance to my name.  It's beyond thrilling to know I have a choice and that it wasn't just a fluke I got into one program.  No official word on funding yet, though.

Of course it isn't a fluke! Congrats!

I am unable to accept one offer until I receive a temporary SSN. I've initated that process to acquire one but at what point, can I ask where it is? I'm eager to accept. So say if they started the process on Friday, do you think three business days is ample time to wait?  I'm really keen to the visa process started which I can't do until I accept the offer (which I can't do until I receive this temp SSN )

Congrats!

Great place to be with an interest in Flannery O'Connor, right? Congrats! I hope you get funding!

I had the same thing - only knew when I got an email from them asking why I hadn't sent some visa documentation they needed- that was two weeks after I should have received my offer letter from them!