SAIC - march 3rd

R. Mutt

Did everyone else who interviewed at SAIC just get the scholarship email? Come on, SAIC, tell us yes or no before you send us that kind of thing....

I didn't interview at SAIC (FVNM doesn't conduct interviews), and I got the email!! I was excited and then like...oh, nevermind! haha Also, you need to have studied in China and know Chinese to be eligible for the scholarship anyways.

I got the email too. : /

I interviewed in Photo and during our "welcome" the Director of Grad Admissions told us that letters would be in the mail today (3/13/12).

Good luck everyone!

just curious if anyone elses SAIC. slideroom.com title has changed

mine says:

School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Admissions office

then

MFA - Sculpture Fall 2012

has it always said 'Admissions office'?

Edited by R. Mutt

mine says:

then

yes, i'm just being neurotic at this point

Now that you mention it, I do see a difference.

mine says:

then

I too saw the saw the same difference and it says MFA Painting and Drawing fall 2012 in my slideroom. Though i didn't interview for MFA being an Intl student. But I do have an interview coming Friday for Post bacc.

Can anyone throw some insight on what kind of questions were asked during your interview. I am freaking out as this is my first Interview and being from a Non Art background, not sure what and how to prepare. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

It was prety layed back, as far as I can say.

Just some basic why do you want to do an MFA?

Why SAIC?

We see you use alot of --- ---- can you tell us about it?

Can anyone throw some insight on what kind of questions were asked during your interview. I am freaking out as this is my first Interview and being from a Non Art background, not sure what and how to prepare. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

does everyones say 'Admissions office'?

Yes. SAIC says "Admissions Office." I've been accepted. I also applied to Pratt and MICA which both use it. I've heard back from Pratt (acceptance) and that is listed as "Office of Graduate Admissions." I've not heard back from MICA (yet), but that one says "Office of Admissions." I'm hoping this means good news from MICA.

sorry I'm being unclear :P I got rejected by snail mail for Painting and Drawing (which I applied to using the Slideroom Portfolio). I'm just trying to say that there's no connection between it saying Admissions Office and being accepted, because mine said that and I got rejected.

Has anyone received a rejection/ acceptance letter via snail mail yet? or have you all determined your admission status through slideroom? Does SAIC send rejection letters?

yea I got a letter via snail mail. I think the departments do it in order. It seems from these forums that Painting is done, I don't know about photo, I would just read people's signatures and if see if anyone got accepted/rejected

and I have no idea when FVNM make their decisions.

Can I ask people's opinions about this school. I got into the performance department... but if I went I would take classes from all different areas. Honestly I think it would be pretty good for developing skills and practice, especially with studio classes running for like 6 hours or something.

But what about career ambition-wise? Being located in Chicago, are you sort of out of the loop of the NYC/LA coastal focused art world? Especially in something like new genres practice or performance.

I just feel like if I went here, it would help develop my skills, but not really my career. It's also fucking expensive. lol any thoughts from others?

And I know that Chicago is a major city and all, but as far as the contemporary art world is concerned - is it?

Can I ask people's opinions about this school. I got into the performance department... but if I went I would take classes from all different areas. Honestly I think it would be pretty good for developing skills and practice, especially with studio classes running for like 6 hours or something.

But what about career ambition-wise? Being located in Chicago, are you sort of out of the loop of the NYC/LA coastal focused art world? Especially in something like new genres practice or performance.

I just feel like if I went here, it would help develop my skills, but not really my career. It's also fucking expensive. lol any thoughts from others?

And I know that Chicago is a major city and all, but as far as the contemporary art world is concerned - is it?

That is just silly. The school is the only performance art dept in the country, ranked 2nd overall, and spends more money on PR than any other school. Not that I think SAIC's ranking or PR dept are important for my practice, but most people complain about 2 things: the cost and it being too "art world" rather than the other way around. Plenty of students go straight to NY afterwards without problems, but Chicago can actually help that transition if you stay here a few years longer. Well known venues like three-walls and the MCA include a lot of recent graduates in their programming, and then with that on your resume its easier getting a start in NY or LA, if that is really what you want. We have dedicated galleries to performance, like Defibrillator, where a lot of the MFA students show.

You may not get as many direct connections as you would at a NY of LA school, but I haven't seen any problems with performance students getting opportunties in those cities.

That is just silly. The school is the only performance art dept in the country, ranked 2nd overall, and spends more money on PR than any other school. Not that I think SAIC's ranking or PR dept are important for my practice, but most people complain about 2 things: the cost and it being too "art world" rather than the other way around. Plenty of students go straight to NY afterwards without problems, but Chicago can actually help that transition if you stay here a few years longer. Well known venues like three-walls and the MCA include a lot of recent graduates in their programming, and then with that on your resume its easier getting a start in NY or LA, if that is really what you want. We have dedicated galleries to performance, like Defibrillator, where a lot of the MFA students show.

You may not get as many direct connections as you would at a NY of LA school, but I haven't seen any problems with performance students getting opportunties in those cities.

Hi Michael, I was just wondering also - do you feel like students get a lot of personal attention as such? Because unlike another mfa program where maybe there are 10-25 students total in a year level, there are literally hundreds doing mfa at a time at SAIC.... do you get the chance to form close relationships with teachers and such?

Hi Michael, I was just wondering also - do you feel like students get a lot of personal attention as such? Because unlike another mfa program where maybe there are 10-25 students total in a year level, there are literally hundreds doing mfa at a time at SAIC.... do you get the chance to form close relationships with teachers and such?

Great point testing, I was also accepted in performance at SAIC and it didn't occur to me to wonder about the bond between other student and the teacher as it's looks like a small faculty - I took for granted that it would be close or at least really warm and cordial as I have yet to hear any complains from past Alums (mind you that I only got in touch with 2).

I asked a couple of questions to past Alums and one really insisted on the great bonds he made with differents teachers from different faculty such as Lin Hixson to Eduardo Kac. Maybe Micheal can dwell more on the matter than I do; because I have yet to visit the school or get a feel from it.

Like you I'm still wondering if I'll go and compare my options... really curious about SAIC and the opportunity growth or I can simply work on my practice and exhibit a bit more this year and do a round 2 next year. Both option are interesting so I'll still have time to think. But in the meantime I don't know about you but I'm really interested in the Abandoned Practice Workshop; I'm planning to go there as a non credited course in case I choose not to go to SAIC.

It depends on the individual and the program. Performance seems a little tighter than sculpture (my program) which is then tighter than painting (because painting is a huge program). Students who spend all their time taking classes and advising outside their dept don't get to know their dept faculty as well. That is one thing I did not really think through. I have worked alot outside my dept, and therefore the sculpture faculty aren't as close to me as some of the other sculpture students. That makes a few more opportunities get directed towards those who have closer connections. Performance is probably the tightest group of the MFA programs. I have taken 1 studio performance class, and I am just as tight with those students and faculty member as I am with anyone else in the school. The physical interaction in some of the exercises quickly breaks down a lot of personal boundaries. It was definitely one of the best classes I have taken at school. There are many classes where I never learn the names of anyone in the class, but those are usually the art history or seminar classes outside of my program. Its usually a mix of both the close-knit dept and caually meeting a bunch of other people who you may never talk to again (especially art history classes).