PhD in I/O Psychology, Fall 2013

ILuvPsych2013

Hi everyone!

I know we are a little ways out, but I wanted to get this started. Where are my I/O applicants for the Fall 2013 cycle? I have really enjoyed watching 2012 applicants' experiences, camaraderie, highs, and lows unfold. Since we are applying this fall and are needing to start thinking about things like our schools of interest, GREs, letters of recommendation, etc., I would love to hear from you!

I will start it out... I am a senior psychology major from a midwest state university. I have been busy researching schools/POIs, studying for the subject GRE, building relationships with my mentors, and working on various research projects. Here are my stats:

3.8 overall GPA, 4.0 psych GPA

McNair Scholars Program

Tau Sigma Honor Society

Secretary, Psi Chi

Regents Scholar Fellowship

Honors Program/Senior Thesis

Upon applying, I should have 3 independent research projects completed, 5 conference presentations, and (hopefully) one publication. I have been excitedly looking at programs and as of now my plans are to apply to:

• Claremont Graduate University
  • Teachers College (Columbia)
  • DePaul University
  • George Mason
  • George Washington
  • Old Dominion
  • University of Central Florida
  • University of Maryland
  • Portland State
  • Michigan State
  • North Carolina State
  • University of Georgia

Scheduled to take the subject GRE in April, so trying to hone in on that :) What's everyone else up to?

• 10 months later...

Hello, just signed up, so hello to everyone.

These are the schools i applied to.

PhD:

Wayne State University

Central Michigan University

University of Georgia

Texas A&M

University of Connecticut

University of Oklahoma

Old Dominion University

University of South Florida

Florida International University

Auburn University

Masters:

California State University Long Beach

San Diego State University

I scored a V-152 (53%) and Q-156 (68%) and 4 on the writing (49%).

GPA - 3.87

I'll keep you guys updated on what i hear from the school.

Sorry, didn't seee this post when I created my thread for I/O applicants.

My background:

B.S., Psychology; Additional IDS Major in Human Capital and Society, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI

Currently, interning in R&D doing research for Dension Consulting, Ann Arbor, MI

Also, research with Dr. Ann Marie Ryan, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI

For more, see my linkedin: http://www.linkedin....buck/29/6aa/425

Currently, I have 3 completed independent research projects, 2 conference presentations (3rd will be at SIOP this year), and 3 projects that will be submitted for publication this year.

Schools applied to (All Ph.D.):

• UCONN
  • George Mason
  • Akron
  • DePaul
  • Wayne State
  • ODU
  • Virginia Tech
  • USF
  • Purdue
  • Colorado State
  • Portland State
  • IIT

I put this in the results search, but I did receive a rejection from Michigan State. Hopefully acceptances will be coming soon for others at MSU!

Keep heart-- Michigan State is virtually impossible to get into. I didn't even bother applying for that reason! Hopefully we'll all get some good news soon (fingers crossed)

Hello, just signed up, so hello to everyone.

These are the schools i applied to.

PhD:

Wayne State University

Central Michigan University

University of Georgia

Texas A&M

University of Connecticut

University of Oklahoma

Old Dominion University

University of South Florida

Florida International University

Auburn University

Masters:

California State University Long Beach

San Diego State University

I scored a V-152 (53%) and Q-156 (68%) and 4 on the writing (49%).

GPA - 3.87

I'll keep you guys updated on what i hear from the school.

Carnage,

Who is/are your POI(s) at Wayne State?

My background:

B.S., Psychology; Additional IDS Major in Human Capital and Society, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI

Currently, interning in R&D doing research for Dension Consulting, Ann Arbor, MI

Also, research with Dr. Ann Marie Ryan, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI

Currently, I have 3 completed independent research projects, 2 conference presentations (3rd will be at SIOP this year), and 3 projects that will be submitted for publication this year.

• UCONN
  • George Mason
  • Akron
  • DePaul
  • Wayne State
  • ODU
  • Virginia Tech
  • USF
  • Purdue
  • Colorado State
  • Portland State
  • IIT

Is there a way to combine the threads so we are all in one place?

I will start it out... I am a senior psychology major from a midwest state university. I have been busy researching schools/POIs, studying for the subject GRE, building relationships with my mentors, and working on various research projects. Here are my stats:

3.8 overall GPA, 4.0 psych GPA

McNair Scholars Program

Tau Sigma Honor Society

Secretary, Psi Chi

Regents Scholar Fellowship

Honors Program/Senior Thesis

Upon applying, I should have 3 independent research projects completed, 5 conference presentations, and (hopefully) one publication. I have been excitedly looking at programs and as of now my plans are to apply to:

• Claremont Graduate University
  • Teachers College (Columbia)
  • DePaul University
  • George Mason
  • George Washington
  • Old Dominion
  • University of Central Florida
  • University of Maryland
  • Portland State
  • Michigan State
  • North Carolina State
  • University of Georgia
Scheduled to take the subject GRE in April, so trying to hone in on that :) What's everyone else up to?

Finalized list of schools I applied to:

• Michigan State-REJECTED
  • Stanford (OB program)
  • Baruch-CUNY
  • UNC-Chapel Hill (OB program)
  • University of Maryland
  • Wayne State
  • Portland State
  • Teachers College-Columbia
  • George Mason
  • George Washington
  • U. of Central Florida (Master's)
  • Florida International
  • Illinois State (Master's)
  • DePaul
  • Old Dominion
  • University of Nebraska-Omaha
  • Rice
  • Xavier (Master's)
  • Missouri State

Keep heart-- Michigan State is virtually impossible to get into. I didn't even bother applying for that reason! Hopefully we'll all get some good news soon (fingers crossed)

Thanks IOPsych! I knew it was a stretch, so I'm not overly torn up about it :-)

Is there a way to combine the threads so we are all in one place?

I'm not sure. I think I'll just delete my post and everyone can just post here.

P.S., who was your POI at MSU? I wouldn't be too worried about not getting in. It looks like you have a pretty good background so I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. Were your research projects in an I/O lab or for some other discipline?

Thanks IOPsych! I knew it was a stretch, so I'm not overly torn up about it :-)

Good- don't be! I've heard the weirdest stories from other grad students- like one student who got waitlisted, then rejected from a "not-so-good" program but also got accepted into like 4 of the US News & World Report "Top 5" programs. Sometimes weird, random things go into who gets accepted, and who doesn't. With a tough-as-nails program like MSU, it's even more of a mystery (in my opinion). 

Bottom line: I second roebuck. I'm sure you'll get into another great program.   

I'm not sure. I think I'll just delete my post and everyone can just post here.

P.S., who was your POI at MSU? I wouldn't be too worried about not getting in. It looks like you have a pretty good background so I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. Were your research projects in an I/O lab or for some other discipline?

My POI was Ann Marie Ryan. Thanks for the encouragement :-) My university doesn't have an I/O program, so unfortunately I did not work in an I/O lab. I actually worked in a social psych lab and just tried to put an I/O spin on everything. Hopefully that works!

Good- don't be! I've heard the weirdest stories from other grad students- like one student who got waitlisted, then rejected from a "not-so-good" program but also got accepted into like 4 of the US News & World Report "Top 5" programs. Sometimes weird, random things go into who gets accepted, and who doesn't. With a tough-as-nails program like MSU, it's even more of a mystery (in my opinion). 

Bottom line: I second roebuck. I'm sure you'll get into another great program.   

Thanks, hopefully we all get the good news we are hoping for! :-) Also, if you don't mind me asking, who are your POIs at George Mason and Maryland?

My background:

• UCONN
  • George Mason
  • Akron
  • DePaul
  • Wayne State
  • ODU
  • Virginia Tech
  • USF
  • Purdue
  • Colorado State
  • Portland State
  • IIT

Roebuck, can I ask who your POIs are at George Mason, DePaul, Wayne State, and Portland State?

Roebuck, can I ask who your POIs are at George Mason, DePaul, Wayne State, and Portland State?

Dr. Ryan is one of the most amazing people you will ever meet. I am in the process of writing a manuscript with her on some research we did on stigma management in the workplace.

For my personal statements, I took the approach of naming 2 professors at each school that I would like to work with (First person would be my POI for each school)...

• George Mason: Dr. Stephen Zaccaro and Dr. Eden King
  • DePaul: Dr. Annette Towler and Dr. Alice Stuhlmacher
  • Wayne State: Dr. Marcus Dickson and Dr. Boris Baltes
  • Portland State: Dr. Donald Truxillo and Dr. Liu-Qin Yang

How about you?

Dr. Ryan is one of the most amazing people you will ever meet. I am in the process of writing a manuscript with her on some research we did on stigma management in the workplace.

For my personal statements, I took the approach of naming 2 professors at each school that I would like to work with (First person would be my POI for each school)...

• George Mason: Dr. Stephen Zaccaro and Dr. Eden King
  • DePaul: Dr. Annette Towler and Dr. Alice Stuhlmacher
  • Wayne State: Dr. Marcus Dickson and Dr. Boris Baltes
  • Portland State: Dr. Donald Truxillo and Dr. Liu-Qin Yang

How about you?

The research of hers that I have read is so interesting! Props to you for getting to work with such an awesome mentor.

Sounds like we have similar interests!

• George Mason: Dr. Eden King and Dr. Lois Tetrick
  • DePaul: Dr. Jane Halpert and Dr. Alice Stuhlmacher
  • Wayne State: Dr. Boris Baltes
  • Portland State: Dr. Donald Truxillo

The research of hers that I have read is so interesting! Props to you for getting to work with such an awesome mentor.

Sounds like we have similar interests!

• George Mason: Dr. Eden King and Dr. Lois Tetrick
  • DePaul: Dr. Jane Halpert and Dr. Alice Stuhlmacher
  • Wayne State: Dr. Boris Baltes
  • Portland State: Dr. Donald Truxillo

One of my best friends is in the I/O program at DePaul and Alice is her chair. What exactly are your research interests? That would be something else to find out from everyone, research interests.

Mine are leadership, culture, and motivation.

My primary research interests have to do with stigma and discrimination in the workplace and gender issues. I am also interested in organizational culture and work/life balance.

Sounds like my entire undergraduate research career haha. You probably know most of these people, but someone asked me about this the other day and I gave them this list of some of the big names in stigma/discrimination: Ann Marie Ryan, Erving Goffman, Mikki Hebl, Alice Eagly, Madeliene Heilman, Rebecca Meisenbach, and Eden King (to name a few)