PhD in I/O Psychology, Fall 2013

ILuvPsych2013

That's helpful, so anyone who wasn't invited to visiting weekend is wait listed or rejected?

I would say that's a fair assessment... it went to the wait list last year, too, so being on the wait list doesn't mean you don't have a shot.

I think someone in the thread mentioned getting a rejection from PSU? If I'm remembering that correctly, I'm not sure how many have gone out. I do know that we had a *lot* of applicants this year-- similar to last year-- so everyone at the top of the pool is very talented and capable. For us at this point it comes down to fit with the program.

I would say that's a fair assessment... it went to the wait list last year, too, so being on the wait list doesn't mean you don't have a shot.   I think someone in the thread mentioned getting a rejection from PSU? If I'm remembering that correctly, I'm not sure how many have gone out. I do know that we had a *lot* of applicants this year-- similar to last year-- so everyone at the top of the pool is very talented and capable. For us at this point it comes down to fit with the program.
Well, I'll remain hopeful. Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it.

Well, I'll remain hopeful. Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it.

You should try. I know it's a really trying and difficult position to be in, but you never know what's going to happen. There are so many degrees of freedom in play at this point because multiple schools end up recruiting the same people that a spot could open up anywhere once decisions start being made.  Just because you haven't heard now doesn't mean you won't in a month, or even on April 14th. 

You should try. I know it's a really trying and difficult position to be in, but you never know what's going to happen. There are so many degrees of freedom in play at this point because multiple schools end up recruiting the same people that a spot could open up anywhere once decisions start being made.  Just because you haven't heard now doesn't mean you won't in a month, or even on April 14th. 

Agreed! I have heard this from multiple other graduate students at a "Top 10" I/O program- that everyone extends offers to the same group of applicants, who can only accept 1 out of their multiple offers, and eventually free up spots at all the other programs who made them an offer. The wait list tends to have good odds, especially if you're at the top. I would just try to reach out to your professor of interest and make sure that he/she knows how interested you are in the program, because it could make a difference.

Actually, I think congratulations are in order to you for making the wait list at Penn State. Penn State is an awesome program. I myself was rejected from Penn State really early in the game (and was bummed that it was the first official news I got, before I had received any of my acceptances!). It wasn't unexpected though since my professor of interest is going on sabbatical. 

Me too.... That was my number 1. Who was your POI? I wanted to work with Gelfand.

For Penn state- I have been on their waiting list, but haven't heard anything other than that. I am trying to contact the department to see where I am on the wait list.

Has anyone heard anything besides a no from George Washington?

My POIs were Stangor and Gelfand :-( 

Agreed! I have heard this from multiple other graduate students at a "Top 10" I/O program- that everyone extends offers to the same group of applicants, who can only accept 1 out of their multiple offers, and eventually free up spots at all the other programs who made them an offer. The wait list tends to have good odds, especially if you're at the top. I would just try to reach out to your professor of interest and make sure that he/she knows how interested you are in the program, because it could make a difference.

Actually, I think congratulations are in order to you for making the wait list at Penn State. Penn State is an awesome program. I myself was rejected from Penn State really early in the game (and was bummed that it was the first official news I got, before I had received any of my acceptances!). It wasn't unexpected though since my professor of interest is going on sabbatical.

Thanks to you both for the kind words of encouragement. I just wish I had a bit more information about my status, for now I'm just in limbo.

Throwing a question out there. If a masters program says they have assistantships  what does that usually mean? Any information would be helpful.  I did google it, and i got a range of answers.

Thank you in advance

Throwing a question out there. If a masters program says they have assistantships  what does that usually mean? Any information would be helpful.  I did google it, and i got a range of answers.

Thank you in advance

Well it depends... some of them may offer an in-state tuition waiver and a stipend, some may only include a stipend and no tuition waiver. Unlike PhD programmes where successful candidates are often assured a tuition waiver and stipend, in a Master's programme successful candidates may have to compete with each other to secure an assistantship. The best bet is it to enquire with the programme coordinator. Hope this helps!

Well it depends... some of them may offer an in-state tuition waiver and a stipend, some may only include a stipend and no tuition waiver. Unlike PhD programmes where successful candidates are often assured a tuition waiver and stipend, in a Master's programme successful candidates may have to compete with each other to secure an assistantship. The best bet is it to enquire with the programme coordinator. Hope this helps!

It does! Thank you.  I have an interview with a masters program and I was under the impression that most of the time Masters program aren't funded. But, on their website it says this "Funding in the form of assistantships is available so that students can give their full attention to their graduate studies."  I'm assuming/hoping that's a good thing.

I applied to DePaul, Rice, and NCSU and haven't heard from any of these schools. According to the results section, Rice and NCSU already accepted candidates, so I'm not having high hopes to get into these two. But maybe I get lucky with DePaul...? :-/

So I am wondering if you all are still waiting to hear from schools, or if you have pretty much heard one way or another. I am still waiting on 7!

Still waiting. heard back from 5, waiting on 9. I feel like i'm going to get bombarded at the last second.

So I am wondering if you all are still waiting to hear from schools, or if you have pretty much heard one way or another. I am still waiting on 7!

I noticed you applied to the Baruch and TC: Baruch made decisions and TC sent out interviews. Not sure if you were waiting on those

Edited by iophdhopeful2013

The research of hers that I have read is so interesting! Props to you for getting to work with such an awesome mentor.

Sounds like we have similar interests!

• George Mason: Dr. Eden King and Dr. Lois Tetrick
  • DePaul: Dr. Jane Halpert and Dr. Alice Stuhlmacher
  • Wayne State: Dr. Boris Baltes
  • Portland State: Dr. Donald Truxillo

Hi Double Shot, if you don't mind me ask, what is your result of GMU. My POIs are the same but in the reverse order. They just told me that I'm on the waiting list...