PhD in I/O Psychology, Fall 2013

ILuvPsych2013

Yep, I am amongst the group that has accepted so far, I think almost everyone from the visitation weekend got an offer.  Really exciting.

I didn't receive an invite to the visitation, but i did receive an acceptance/offer, however, the acceptance letter says that they are still trying to "securing funding". Is this the same for you, or have you received a funding offer as well?

PhD

Clemson--rejected

Auburn--haven't heard back, probably rejected

University of Houston--haven't heard back, I assume I'm rejected. 

Florida Institute of Technology--waitlisted

Masters

George Mason--haven't heard back

Radford--haven't heard back

Middle Tennessee--haven't heard back

Has anyone else heard from any of these?

Now that the applying is over and the waiting is killing me, I wish I'd done things differently during the application process. Can I get a do-over??

I notice some speculation about Rice, and thought I might be able to shed some light. Dr. Villado hinted that the faculty split up the applicants and decide on their own who to extend offers to. Dr. Villado is offering two positions and it looks like Dr. Beier is offering two as well. Dr. Villado told me that he had a short list of four people for his two spots. He conducted phone interviews in late January and has sense extended two offers. He said if either of those students choose a different program, it's likely he'll extend an offer to one of his other two potential students. I'm not sure if Dr. Beier is making her choice the exact same way or not. Hope this helps.

Alriiight.. Joining this thread a little late, but here's my status.

Auburn - Accepted, currently at top of my list

University of Maryland - Rejected

University of South Florida - Waitlisted

Old Dominion University - Interview offered

Bowling Green State - Pending

Purdue - Pending

U of Georgia - Pending, graduate coordinator said they still have not made a decision.

GRE V 160 Q 157 AW 5.5

GPA 3.45 (I had to work two jobs okay!?)

Since I'm on the waitlist at USF and not the short list, can I most likely assume that nobody's going to decline an offer from USF? 

Can someone also tell me whether rankings/school pedigree really matter in the I/O field? It seems so divided up by interest that there's no easily quantifiable measure to rank schools by. 

Alriiight.. Joining this thread a little late, but here's my status.

Auburn - Accepted, currently at top of my list

University of Maryland - Rejected

University of South Florida - Waitlisted

Old Dominion University - Interview offered

Bowling Green State - Pending

Purdue - Pending

U of Georgia - Pending, graduate coordinator said they still have not made a decision.

GRE V 160 Q 157 AW 5.5

GPA 3.45 (I had to work two jobs okay!?)

Since I'm on the waitlist at USF and not the short list, can I most likely assume that nobody's going to decline an offer from USF? 

Can someone also tell me whether rankings/school pedigree really matter in the I/O field? It seems so divided up by interest that there's no easily quantifiable measure to rank schools by. 

Can I ask who your POI at Auburn is?

Svyantek. I put him and Clark as equal POIs. They currently only have 2 professors since Clark left for Georgia. Fan is taking over as chair next year, and they're hiring someone to replace Clark. 

PhD

Clemson--rejected

Auburn--haven't heard back, probably rejected

University of Houston--haven't heard back, I assume I'm rejected. 

Florida Institute of Technology--waitlisted

Masters

George Mason--haven't heard back

Radford--haven't heard back

Middle Tennessee--haven't heard back

Has anyone else heard from any of these?

Now that the applying is over and the waiting is killing me, I wish I'd done things differently during the application process. Can I get a do-over??

Hey Ghollo,

I too applied to George Mason's Masters program.  I received an email a couple of weeks ago informing me that that I was on the "short list", but haven't heard anything since.  I called on Friday and someone in the school's admissions office told me that they had yet to make their final decisions. 

Here's my status:

Ph.D.

SLU: Interviewed March 1, contacted them last week and was told that they've extended offers to their top choices ("based entirely on the degree of match with faculty interests"), so I'm on the wait list.

UNC - Charlotte: (organizational science Ph.D.) Attended their visit day (March 15), am on the wait list. Was told they are taking 7 students this year, so they will be going into their wait list for sure. Haven't heard anything since then.

Houston: Interviewed March 9, was accepted the Monday after.

UMSL: Accepted off their short list, (interviewed March 12)

NIU: Accepted off their wait list

IIT: Accepted

Wright State: Phone interview mid-February, have heard nothing since. Assuming this means wait-list or rejected.

SIU - Carbondale: Was scheduled to visit this week, but cancelled because of other offers.

Master's:

MO State: Accepted with funding

SIU - Edwardsville: Was scheduled to visit this week, but cancelled because of other offers.

I know I'm a little late, but I'm very curious about others with SLU or UNC-C offers/info!

Here's my status:

Ph.D.

SLU: Interviewed March 1, contacted them last week and was told that they've extended offers to their top choices ("based entirely on the degree of match with faculty interests"), so I'm on the wait list.

UNC - Charlotte: (organizational science Ph.D.) Attended their visit day (March 15), am on the wait list. Was told they are taking 7 students this year, so they will be going into their wait list for sure. Haven't heard anything since then.

Wright State: Phone interview mid-February, have heard nothing since. Assuming this means wait-list or rejected.

SIU - Carbondale: Was scheduled to visit this week, but cancelled because of other offers.

Master's:

SIU - Edwardsville: Was scheduled to visit this week, but cancelled because of other offers.

I know I'm a little late, but I'm very curious about others with SLU or UNC-C offers/info!

Congrats on your acceptances! I was waitlisted at NIU but I haven't heard anything, guess I can count them out too :(

Just FYI word around campus is that the Texas A&M IO department won't be accepting students this year for budgetary reasons. It's not confirmed, they are still trying to find a solution, but that's the word on the street. 

Congrats on your acceptances! I was waitlisted at NIU but I haven't heard anything, guess I can count them out too :(

JSUIOPsych13, thanks! But I wouldn't count them out yet! I just heard from Chris Parker on Friday, so I think you could still have a good chance. My spot might even open up... I'm trying to make decisions asap :)

A plea from those of us still waiting to hear from schools:  If you are weighing multiple offers, yippy for you... But please, please, please, make a decision soon.  Sitting on offers means programs others are waiting to hear from can't update those students.  I envy you all with multiple offers, but please, help the rest of us out, and decide (and soon, please)  :-)

A plea from those of us still waiting to hear from schools:  If you are weighing multiple offers, yippy for you... But please, please, please, make a decision soon.  Sitting on offers means programs others are waiting to hear from can't update those students.  I envy you all with multiple offers, but please, help the rest of us out, and decide (and soon, please)  :-)

Agreed 100%. I decided the day after I came back from my final visiting weekend (March 18th).  My decision was USF and I notified all the schools within 24 hours of returning from my last visit.

In case anyone is still waiting to hear from the schools I was accepted at & declined (BGSU, UIUC, Rice, & University of Connecticut), PM me if you need to know my POI. I also removed myself from the wait list at George Mason. 

To other people who are still holding multiple offers, do the right thing and notify ASAP. There are less than 3 weeks to go before April 15 and every day that goes by is another day departments are kept on hold and unable to make offers to deserving students on the wait list. 

Agreed 100%. I decided the day after I came back from my final visiting weekend (March 18th).  My decision was USF and I notified all the schools within 24 hours of returning from my last visit.   In case anyone is still waiting to hear from the schools I was accepted at & declined (BGSU, UIUC, Rice, & University of Connecticut), PM me if you need to know my POI. I also removed myself from the wait list at George Mason.    To other people who are still holding multiple offers, do the right thing and notify ASAP. There are less than 3 weeks to go before April 15 and every day that goes by is another day departments are kept on hold and unable to make offers to deserving students on the wait list. 
I'm waiting to hear back from my top choice schools that I've been wait listed at and I know it's a long shot but it might help me out :)

I totally understand the urgency, but I haven't heard ANYTHING from three schools yet and I can't make such an extremely significant decision on just 50% of the information. I'm 90% certain I know where I want to go, but if some new information comes about from an interview or the amount of funding for an acceptance or something of the like, I can't feel comfortable with making such a significant decision based on incomplete information. 

I'm sort of in between in that I'm both in the accepted group and the "waiting to hear back group," and I know that the week of April 15th is going to be a crazy week, but I honestly don't blame anyone who's still waiting to hear all of their schools in order to make an informed decision. 

For myself, the only way I see myself accepting an offer other than Auburn is if I end up getting accepted off of USF's waitlist. It's extremely unlikely, and their waitlist e-mail told me they would notify between April 1 and 15, so unfortunately I'm holding onto the Auburn acceptance until that point. 

That said, I just e-mailed USF to ask what the likelihood of me coming off the wait list/what order in line I'm in. Hopefully they can give me a realistic estimate and I'll know what to expect,

Lastly, is there a reason April 15th is the deadline? Given how much some of these schools are dragging their feet, I can't imagine that they won't accept anyone after 4/15 unless there's a financial reason for it. If it's so haphazard, some of them are bound to end up with fewer new students than they had initially expected.

Here's my status:

Ph.D.

Master's:

I was accepted to Houston and UMSL too.  Message me if you want to chat! I would love to compare notes and talk about POIs!

JSUIOPsych13, thanks! But I wouldn't count them out yet! I just heard from Chris Parker on Friday, so I think you could still have a good chance. My spot might even open up... I'm trying to make decisions asap :)

I totally understand the urgency, but I haven't heard ANYTHING from three schools yet and I can't make such an extremely significant decision on just 50% of the information. I'm 90% certain I know where I want to go, but if some new information comes about from an interview or the amount of funding for an acceptance or something of the like, I can't feel comfortable with making such a significant decision based on incomplete information. 

I'm sort of in between in that I'm both in the accepted group and the "waiting to hear back group," and I know that the week of April 15th is going to be a crazy week, but I honestly don't blame anyone who's still waiting to hear all of their schools in order to make an informed decision. 

For myself, the only way I see myself accepting an offer other than Auburn is if I end up getting accepted off of USF's waitlist. It's extremely unlikely, and their waitlist e-mail told me they would notify between April 1 and 15, so unfortunately I'm holding onto the Auburn acceptance until that point. 

That said, I just e-mailed USF to ask what the likelihood of me coming off the wait list/what order in line I'm in. Hopefully they can give me a realistic estimate and I'll know what to expect,

Lastly, is there a reason April 15th is the deadline? Given how much some of these schools are dragging their feet, I can't imagine that they won't accept anyone after 4/15 unless there's a financial reason for it. If it's so haphazard, some of them are bound to end up with fewer new students than they had initially expected.

My post referred to people who are holding official acceptances from several schools. For your situation (1 official offer and the rest pending), I completely understand why you don't want to make a decision yet. Even if you are down to two offers it is understandable to need some time. The real problem is when students hold on to acceptances from 3 or more schools for weeks, or sometimes months, when they really are heavily favoring some programs over the others and are even holding on to offers from schools they're fairly certain they don't want to attend. Trust me, it happens- I've heard the stories!

Also, some info on USF. USF is hoping for a cohort of 5 or 6. Four students have accepted offers, and think there is one offer still pending. As long as that student makes a decision soon, it is definitely possible that they could go to the wait list.

To follow up on your point, I have definitely heard of programs having more or less students enroll than they had originally intended. My impression from other grad students and faculty is that most programs really try hard to confirm their incoming cohort before April 15. 

Edited by IOPsych3927