PhD in I/O Psychology, Fall 2013

ILuvPsych2013

Not if you go to purdue with me!!!!

Seriously another monday, another fresh bout of nervous checking.....O well expect to hear something this week.

I actually will not be going to Purdue's recruitment weekend anymore. I emailed my POI today and withdrew my candidacy. Purdue's visiting weekend falls on the same weekend as another school I've been accepted at which is one of my top choices, and which I believe aligns better with my research interests. I found out I got into this school on Friday, and I found out about the date of visiting weekend yesterday. 

I've talked to a lot of grad students and they say that if you know you're not going to a school, you need to turn it down ASAP so it frees up a spot for another qualified student. I hope this helps someone else!

Edited by IOPsych3927

I actually will not be going to Purdue's recruitment weekend anymore. I emailed my POI today and withdrew my candidacy. Purdue's visiting weekend falls on the same weekend as another school I've been accepted at which is one of my top choices, and which I believe aligns better with my research interests. I found out I got into this school on Friday, and I found out about the date of visiting weekend yesterday. 

I've talked to a lot of grad students and they say that if you know you're not going to a school, you need to turn it down ASAP so it frees up a spot for another qualified student. I hope this helps someone else!

Congratulations, i looked over some of the schools you applied to, and we had a few in common.  I don't know where you've been accepted, but what was your final choice? Might bump me up from my wait list if it's not the same :D

Congratulations, i looked over some of the schools you applied to, and we had a few in common.  I don't know where you've been accepted, but what was your final choice? Might bump me up from my wait list if it's not the same :D

Just sent you a message. In addition to giving me serious anxiety, the application process has made me paranoid  :ph34r:

Also, I think my last post was a little unclear. I haven't decided for sure yet-- I'm still waiting on 6 more schools and will probably decide shortly after my visit(s).

Edited by IOPsych3927

Anyone else read the january SIOP?  First article is about admission criteria and weight for programs.  Thought it was quite interesting

Also yea, that was my thought process.  I am going to wait until I get an official acceptance and then decline interviews/wait list from the other programs.  No point in waiting when my decision is basically made.

Edited by gradorbust

wasssssup e'rybody?? I just found this forum, so I figured I'd procrastinate on my hw a bit longer to share my exciting application experience with everybody.

My list isn't quite as exhaustive as some people's, but here's the programs I've applied to thus far (all PhD):

Claremont Graduate University (this one was for Positive Organizational Psychology)

University of Tulsa

Colorado State University

University of South Florida

Bowling Green State University

So far, I've heard back from:

Colorado State (accepted)

Tulsa (rejected for PhD but they accepted me into the Masters program)

Bowling Green (phone interview on Friday 2/8)

Keep at it folks! Waiting sucks, doesn't it?

Anyone else read the january SIOP?  First article is about admission criteria and weight for programs.  Thought it was quite interesting

Also yea, that was my thought process.  I am going to wait until I get an official acceptance and then decline interviews/wait list from the other programs.  No point in waiting when my decision is basically made.

Yup.  It's killing me because they talked about how the Psych GRE should be taken into account more and I did really well on it.  Too late, I guess.

Has anyone heard from UNO or Florida International?

wasssssup e'rybody?? I just found this forum, so I figured I'd procrastinate on my hw a bit longer to share my exciting application experience with everybody.

My list isn't quite as exhaustive as some people's, but here's the programs I've applied to thus far (all PhD):

Claremont Graduate University (this one was for Positive Organizational Psychology)

University of Tulsa

Colorado State University

University of South Florida

Bowling Green State University

So far, I've heard back from:

Colorado State (accepted)

Tulsa (rejected for PhD but they accepted me into the Masters program)

Bowling Green (phone interview on Friday 2/8)

Keep at it folks! Waiting sucks, doesn't it?

Yes, it's exhausting!

Accepted to purdue, so unless cornell comes thorugh with a crazy good fit, as well as an acceptance it looks like that is where I am going.  Just need to wait for official confirmation before I decline everywhere else.

Congratulations!!!!! That's wonderful news!  :D  :D  It must be such a relief to know where you'll be!

I myself am on the hook until at least the second week of March, after my last visiting weekend....  <_<

Accepted to purdue, so unless cornell comes thorugh with a crazy good fit, as well as an acceptance it looks like that is where I am going.  Just need to wait for official confirmation before I decline everywhere else.

That's excellent, congratulations!

I myself am on the hook until at least the second week of March, after my last visiting weekend....  <_<

Do you mind if I ask if you got into BGSU or not? If you are, I'm just curious when their visiting weekend is going to be.

So I just found out that the lab is going to be open all summer, so I am happy about that.  My research experience as well as I-O experience is weak(no I-o classes at my university).  So I am going to need all the help I can get to be caught up with my peers.

Do you have the link to it, or was it a print copy?

Oh Maryland, you broke my heart!

Me too.... That was my number 1. Who was your POI? I wanted to work with Gelfand.

For Penn state- I have been on their waiting list, but haven't heard anything other than that. I am trying to contact the department to see where I am on the wait list.

Has anyone heard anything besides a no from George Washington?

Me too.... That was my number 1. Who was your POI? I wanted to work with Gelfand.

For Penn state- I have been on their waiting list, but haven't heard anything other than that. I am trying to contact the department to see where I am on the wait list.

Interesting--so if you don't mind me asking, they said they already made their decisions? I only ask because I notice that they have sent out a lot of rejections and offered a few interviews, but I don't see that anyone was actually accepted. 

I have heard nothing from them--though I know that they have sent out rejections.