Funding or Prestige?

betty buzz-kill

So I am grappling with this decision about which grad school I am going to go to. I am pursuing a masters degree in higher ed/student affairs and so far I have 3 acceptances. I got accepted to UCLA, PENN & Syracuse. PENN is offering me some funding but its still super expensive. UCLA is offering me no money but it is still cheaper to go there than to go to PENN. Syracuse is offering me full funding with a grad assistantship.

So should I go to the school that is funding me or the school I am in love with?

It would be amazing to go to PENN but I am so nervous about the debt...

HELP!

I was just going to start a similar thread! For me, I guess, it'll be programme. I'd go to the school that offers me best return on investment. That could as easily be Penn as UCLA or Syracuse. Wherever you get maximum for what you're putting in.

So I am grappling with this decision about which grad school I am going to go to. I am pursuing a masters degree in higher ed/student affairs and so far I have 3 acceptances. I got accepted to UCLA, PENN & Syracuse. PENN is offering me some funding but its still super expensive. UCLA is offering me no money but it is still cheaper to go there than to go to PENN. Syracuse is offering me full funding with a grad assistantship.

So should I go to the school that is funding me or the school I am in love with?

HELP!

One year master's programs can be tricky for employment unless you already have a lot of experience -or- you plan to go immediately on to a PhD program so that is definitely something to think about. Also, it is fairly typically to only receive 35K to 40K for an entry-level student affairs job so I'll be hesitant to take out more loans than what you expect to make during your first couple of years.

You mention that prestige is an important factor in your decision. I would just make sure after visiting the departments to see how the master's students are being treated. Prestige comes to departments through their doctoral programs so what may be the most prestigious department on the doctoral level in higher ed might not be a great place to pursue your master's degree. You really need to talk to current students and ask critical questions because if the majority of the resources are only available to doctoral students that would be important to know.

Since higher ed program are very course intensive, I would make sure there are the necessary courses that you need to pursue your interests and that there are sufficient opportunities available to gain more experience. If a PhD is your ultimate goal, I would ask the departments to give you data on how many of their master's students go on to PhD programs and where they are attending. If you want to remain at your institution, how typical is it to accept master's students in the PhD program?

Good luck!

HELP!

I would say that this depends on your career goals. Do you plan to work in student affairs as a practitioner or do you hope to become a faculty member in the long run?

If you are looking to work in student affairs long term I would focus on programs with funding and practical experiences. You will need to be able to demonstrate skills applicable to your functional area, which for new professionals (post-masters) is not typically centered around research.

If you plan to go the faculty route long term I would consider what type of research opportunities are available at each institution, and if you can get research experience and funding that is worth seriously considering. Professional organizations like ACPA can also offer you lots of opportunities to build relationships with faculty and pursue research projects.

I know many student affairs professionals, myself included, that attended masters programs that were less prestigious than the schools you mentioned and attended schools where they had funding and were still admitted to the PhD program of their choice.

Congrats on your acceptances! I wouldn't necessarily overrule Syracuse -- they are giving you full funding plus assistantship! You'll be able to graduate with little to no student loan debt. That's very important in these uncertain economic times. As ZeChocMoose stated, the prestige of the program is not significant at the master's level; focus on whether the program can help you reach your end goals without putting you into so much debt. I would definitely recommend you visit Syracuse to get a feel for their program.

I would just make sure after visiting the departments to see how the master's students are being treated.

Since higher ed program are very course intensive, I would make sure there are the necessary courses that you need to pursue your interests and that there are sufficient opportunities available to gain more experience.

Congrats on your acceptances! I wouldn't necessarily overrule Syracuse -- they are giving you full funding plus assistantship! You'll be able to graduate with little to no student loan debt. That's very important in these uncertain economic times. As ZeChocMoose stated, the prestige of the program is not significant at the master's level; focus on whether the program can help you reach your end goals without putting you into so much debt. I would definitely recommend you visit Syracuse to get a feel for their program.

You've been getting really great advice. Perhaps the best advice is to visit if possible. Then you will be able to really get a feel for the program structure, environment, etc. I've been able to visit a few places and it has definitely impacted how I feel about the programs. Even if it's only a year, you want to make sure that it is the best possible environment so that you can develop yourself as a professional. Good luck! P.S. Most programs will foot the bill for the visit once they accept you. :)

• 1 year later...

Okay, so I was thinking about posting a similar question with an almost identical dilemma.  I have been accepted to master's programs at TC and UPenn and a PhD at Syracuse.  I'm studying Cultural Foundations of Education (primarily history of education) and I aspire to a PhD.  Syracuse gave me full funding and a teaching assistantship, Penn gave me $5,000, and TC gave me nothing.  I have decided to go to Syracuse, mostly because of the funding but also because I really like my advisor there.  

I'm just curious if I've made the right decision.  I know job prospects are shaky, at best, but this is what I want to do with my life, of that much I'm sure.  I just don't know how much weight the SU name will carry when I get out on the job market.   

Okay, so I was thinking about posting a similar question with an almost identical dilemma.  I have been accepted to master's programs at TC and UPenn and a PhD at Syracuse.  I'm studying Cultural Foundations of Education (primarily history of education) and I aspire to a PhD.  Syracuse gave me full funding and a teaching assistantship, Penn gave me $5,000, and TC gave me nothing.  I have decided to go to Syracuse, mostly because of the funding but also because I really like my advisor there.  

I'm just curious if I've made the right decision.  I know job prospects are shaky, at best, but this is what I want to do with my life, of that much I'm sure.  I just don't know how much weight the SU name will carry when I get out on the job market.   

I think it really depends on what kind of university you want to work in when you leave. If the goal is to get a job in small state schools, even larger state schools with an OK reputation, I don't see why a degree from Syracuse wouldn't be competitive as long as you do well there. I wouldn't go to Teachers College for a masters @ $1300/credit either way.

For the record, incidentally--I have nothing against Teachers College or schools like it. Having been admitted there for an Ed.D., I know two things:

1. You don't need an Ivy league background to get into schools like this.

2. You might not get any funding whatsoever if you end up pursuing a Ph.D. or Ed.D. at a school like this.

With those two things in mind, why go there for a masters?

i don't think its bad to have prestige as a factor in your decision -- i feel that we are making an investment in going to masters programs. i think ucla is around 30K to attend though (15K tuition + 15K university housing (single at weyburn)). 

HELP!

I'd go with Syracuse. If this were law school or business school then going with prestige could make a big difference - but this is education school. 

Congratulations on your acceptances!  Wonderful and undoubtedly well-deserved.

Here is my advice:  without a doubt, go to Syracuse.  I think you would come to regret the debt you'd incur in the other programs.

Penn and UCLA are good/great programs but institutional prestige really does not matter at the master's level in this field.  

Best of luck with your decision.

Edited by ADLNYC

I know the problem with TAing is that it takes away time that could be spent on research, but I also think it's an important source of experience.  I find in ironic in my program that an education department would put so little emphasis on teaching.  I get it; their focus is more on big picture social issues and such, but I feel like anyone with a a PhD in Education should be an above average educator, and the system is not set up to make them so.

So, I would look at TAing as a potential plus.