Accuracy of Unofficial Scores at End of Exam?

Queen of Kale

So, I just took my GRE yesterday (wishing I had a "I survived the GRE shirt" or one of the photos like they take during a roller coaster of my test taking panic face to commemorate the occasion) and of course at the end of the test they now provide you with unofficial scores. Not percentiles mind you, but your number.

Immediately I was in the lobby trying to access the ETS concordance table on my phone when a troubling thought hit me- will my score possibly change? Is the number going to be effected if questions are omitted? And was it silly of me to think that my percentile could be accurately guessed using the concordance table? I had hoped that because the test is so new and our cohort so small that the percentiles will basically line up with the predicted values. Was that a silly presumption?

Basically; how much can I count on these scores as both raw numbers to remain the same and as the basis of my percentile rank?

Sorry for the rambling, I may have imbibed a wee bit too much coffee.

I'm not sure how accurate mine was to the concordance table, but there's a really long thread somewhere in this subforum about "new GRE" - you can look through it and see what peole scored and what their percentiles were to compare with the table! :)

Thanks for your replies. It was remembering that thread immediately after my test that actually put me in my tailspin - I remembered there being somewhat of a quant score/percentile slump with the new test. What I didn't remember, and rereading that thread set me straight on, was that the testing cohort they base percentiles on is done annually - so we should be safe for awhile. Although, it's ETS, I imagine they're always plotting something nefarious, kinda like Dr. Claw.

• 4 weeks later...

mine were actually quite a bit different, but I also took the test during the awkward format change they did this past summer, so that might have effected things.

Exactly what happened to me. My actual scores were lower than on the day that I took the test but I'm not sure how they were converting between the two scores

my scores were amazingly dead on accurate (took the test in November)

Also, I found it funny that you immediately were looking up the tables online on your phone, because that's the exact same I did lol. I even asked the test administrator person about my scores before I left (which in retrospect was really a naive thing to do). I didn't drive home until I found a concordance table online and even then I went back home and searched a jillion message boards and blogs about GRE scores. :lol:

• 1 year later...

my scores were amazingly dead on accurate (took the test in November)

Also, I found it funny that you immediately were looking up the tables online on your phone, because that's the exact same I did lol. I even asked the test administrator person about my scores before I left (which in retrospect was really a naive thing to do). I didn't drive home until I found a concordance table online and even then I went back home and searched a jillion message boards and blogs about GRE scores. :lol:

lol i'm doing this rihgt now.