Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

It looks like it already (sort of) broke one person's heart, at least if he/she was intent on the History Dept. (the app that was transferred to East Asian Studies).

I'm too afraid to check the website to see if they've done anything to mine. Just going to wait on the mass email...

Checked mine. It says "awaiting" for the official test scores. I'm pretty sure they received them before the deadline though. Does it usually take THIS long to attach them to an application? Should I send them an e-mail?

Mine also says it's "Awaiting" my GRE scores, despite their definitely being sent to the correct code in early November. I was worried until I saw that previous Columbia admits this year - in the hard sciences - said they had emailed to ask about it, and just received their decision shortly afterwards with no concern shown about the scores (search for Columbia in the results, and you'll see them). Looks like they're just not being all that careful about keeping the record updated, though if there's still no movement by the end of this week I might contact them.

Checked mine. It says "awaiting" for the official test scores. I'm pretty sure they received them before the deadline though. Does it usually take THIS long to attach them to an application? Should I send them an e-mail?

I emailed AND called them about this (only because they took so long to reply to the email) and it's fine. They just still haven't uploaded them yet (yup...).

Mine also says it's "Awaiting" my GRE scores, despite their definitely being sent to the correct code in early November. I was worried until I saw that previous Columbia admits this year - in the hard sciences - said they had emailed to ask about it, and just received their decision shortly afterwards with no concern shown about the scores (search for Columbia in the results, and you'll see them). Looks like they're just not being all that careful about keeping the record updated, though if there's still no movement by the end of this week I might contact them.

I emailed AND called them about this (only because they took so long to reply to the email) and it's fine. They just still haven't uploaded them yet (yup...).

I was worried about this back in December.  When I called them, they said they were having a problem with their computer system (or some such) this year, and not to worry about what their online application status checker says about GRE scores. :) She said they had them and were sorting through them.

I'm wondering if this might push back decisions a couple of weeks, though...?

Just a heads up after listening to grad student gossip.

Even if you've decided to write off a place or an application, please don't trash a PoI to their advisee, no matter how good a relationship you think you have with the grad student.  The admissions process is the beginning of your professional life as a historian and these are very small worlds in the subfields.  Word will get around not just to person you trashed but to others.

Hmm got an e-mail from one of my schools asking me to send them a writing sample before a decision has been reached, but I definitely e-mailed mine to the correct person almost a month ago...I understand departments are swamped right now but geez, don't play when my heart when I log into my e-mail in the morning like that!

South Carolina, please, please just put me out of my misery! 

My friends, well-wishing and all, want to get a house in town for next year. Already late on the bandwagon, I understand their wanting to move quickly. But I can't tell them if I'm living with them next year because I don't know about who has accepted/rejected me! I really am only waiting for one other school and that is South Carolina. 

While I'll gladly go to any of the ones I applied to, provided they give me money, I know I have the best chance with South Carolina. 

I just want to start making decisions about where I'm living next year! My parents also want to know so they can decide whether they are doing Christmas in the US or a foreign country this year...

Gah!

This is another concern I've had, although I guess it's not really one I'll really have the luxury to be concerned with until I have some sort of acceptance in hand. But still - is it even a good idea to go to a school that's clearly playing that waiting game to your application, and only maybe begrudgingly admitted you when others dropped off the radar screen?

I mean, if I'm last choice at a tip top program but still get IN, I'll take it. If UPenn decides I'm number 25 out of 25 those they accept, cool. That said, I still just wish all programs would just get it all over with in one fell swoop.

Edited by lafayette

I mean, if I'm last choice at a tip top program but still get IN, I'll take it. If UPenn decides I'm number 25 out of 25 those they accept, cool. That said, I still just wish all programs would just get it all over with in one fell swoop.

This looks like it happened at Harvard's Am Civ last year! :o

I see one Univ. of Minnesota admit, congratulations !!

I was told I'm on their "alternate list", which means "have a nice day" in my book. I just wonder how am I gonna find the patience/energy to play the wait list game this year.

Edited by heulwen

I see one Univ. of Minnesota admit, congratulations !!

I was told I'm on their "alternate list", which means "have a nice day" in my book. I just wonder how am I gonna find the patience/energy to play the wait list game this year.

The Twin Cities admit was me, thanks! It was my first acceptance after a discouraging barrage of rejections. :)