Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

To answer some of the above,

• There has been a small wave of Stanford acceptances, mostly by phone, but no rejections yet.
  • There have been some UPenn interviews (for regular History) but no decisions yet.
  • There have been some NYU invites to the admit weekend (does not exclude you from the running if you weren't invited) and interview requests, but I don't think any decisions.
Edited by czesc

Well this makes it a lot harder to convincingly tell people I'm not insane. The pay-your-own-health thing doesn't bother me, as I've done that on and off throughout my life (my parents have both always self-insured) but $2,000 for that many hours of work is insane.

Oof, hope those Chicago decisions coming out right now aren't too heartbreaking to those that applied!  :unsure:

In other tales of grad school craziness (I can laugh about it now), Yale has proved itself curiouser and curiouser. I just got an email from them saying that, though I was rejected from the PhD, they could forward my application to their European MA program at their MacMillan Center so I would be "more prepared" for starting a doctorate. Right, so.... you don't think I'm ready, want me to pay through the nose so I'll be ready, and think this is the best opportunity I have given my CV/that this is the best way to get access to my POI, who apparently wants a test run? I'm not sure whether to be insulted or very, very amused.

Edited by akacentimetre

Has anyone heard anything about when William & Mary might send out their notices? It looks like they typically send them out near the end of February, but I wanted to check and see if anyone had news.

Also, hugs to those who have received bad news from U of Chicago today. Hang in there!

Well, Chicago hasn't gotten around to massacring me yet. I get the feeling I may get their MA-referral there too...

I wonder if it's awkward to be a job candidate later on before people who thought you "weren't ready" for the PhD you just received?

czesc, it happens a lot.  That's why there are warnings for ABDs to think very carefully about expecting to have a job offer if they wish to go on  the market as ABDs.  I have heard far more finalists not being ABDs in various searches than ABDs (ironically, the most "senior" the person is, the worse their job interview performance is).  I have very little desire at the moment to go on the market as an ABD unless the job was perfect or am promised a campus visit. :)

In other tales of grad school craziness (I can laugh about it now), Yale has proved itself curiouser and curiouser. I just got an email from them saying that, though I was rejected from the PhD, they could forward my application to their European MA program at their MacMillan Center so I would be "more prepared" for starting a doctorate. Right, so.... you don't think I'm ready, want me to pay through the nose so I'll be ready, and think this is the best opportunity I have given my CV/that this is the best way to get access to my POI, who apparently wants a test run? I'm not sure whether to be insulted or very, very amused.

The ivies with separate MA programs tend to do that, and even after sticking you in the running for the MA, may still reject you.  I had to laugh two years ago when Columbia did this to me. (Mainly because I already had a funded MA offer. Yeah, totally paying $60,000 to live in NYC and go to your program Columbia. Sure.)

Rejected from Princeton post-interview weekend. Bleh. Just waiting out on Michigan now, though LA is looking nicer and nicer everyday.

Well, Chicago hasn't gotten around to massacring me yet. I get the feeling I may get their MA-referral there too...

I wonder if it's awkward to be a job candidate later on before people who thought you "weren't ready" for the PhD you just received?

Same here. Nothing from Chicago yet as well. Actually, I only heard back from three schools. This wait is awful! 

I checked and past protocol indicates that Chicago sends out acceptances first, then waitlists, then rejections, then consolation prize Masters in Social Sciences admissions with (maybe) tuition waivers. I have a feeling those of us who haven't heard are either still in the email queue to receive rejections today or being offered a masters. At this point I'm betting on the latter.

I'm also waiting on Chicago and Stanford. According to Stanford's FAQ page, they invite 20-25 with a target cohort yield of 15. This is purely speculation, but based on the number of acceptances posted here, widely spaced response dates from past years, and the fact that rejections haven't arrived yet, I'd say they're likely still in the decision process. No news is good news.

Cornell, on the other hand has had a very low admission rate in recent years. I did some number crunching from their current student page and assuming no one dropped out or transfered, and I can do basic math (dubious), the recent admission breakdown is: 2012 (12), 2011 (9), 2010 (8), 2009 (8), 2008 (8), 2007 (7). Admissions by study area are also very regular each year, suggesting targets or region-specific funding. Given the number of people already offered admission, I think all that remains is waitlisting.

Anyway, I guess my point is don't assume rejection or give up until you are holding the small envelope (or small email, if such a notion exists).

To answer some of the above,

• There has been a small wave of Stanford acceptances, mostly by phone, but no rejections yet.
  • There have been some UPenn interviews (for regular History) but no decisions yet.
  • There have been some NYU invites to the admit weekend (does not exclude you from the running if you weren't invited) and interview requests, but I don't think any decisions.

Thank you for the information. NYU is really confusing in terms of releasing decision this year. Anybody applied to Penn State and heard back from the school? I checked the online status and apparently it never changed since I submitted my application. I'm applying for Modern China field by the way. 

I'm also waiting on Chicago and Stanford. According to Stanford's FAQ page, they invite 20-25 with a target cohort yield of 15. This is purely speculation, but based on the number of acceptances posted here, widely spaced response dates from past years, and the fact that rejections haven't arrived yet, I'd say they're likely still in the decision process. No news is good news.

Cornell, on the other hand has had a very low admission rate in recent years. I did some number crunching from their current student page and assuming no one dropped out or transfered, and I can do basic math (dubious), the recent admission breakdown is: 2012 (12), 2011 (9), 2010 (8), 2009 (8), 2008 (8), 2007 (7). Admissions by study area are also very regular each year, suggesting targets or region-specific funding. Given the number of people already offered admission, I think all that remains is waitlisting.

Anyway, I guess my point is don't assume rejection or give up until you are holding the small envelope (or small email, if such a notion exists).

Don't know how I didn't notice Stanford had such widely-spaced acceptances. I guess I was only looking at last year where the late admit only looked like someone who may have gotten in off the waitlist. One thing to consider is that a larger cluster than usual was admitted around the same time this year. In any case, it's hard to tell with the tiny dataset of applicants (particularly acceptances) we have for Stanford on GradCafe.

As for Cornell, they admitted 10 this year.

getitlow, this is apparently NYU's modus operandi every year.

Edited by czesc

Just thought I'd check my South Carolina app. The Public History part of the application says "Decision"on the Application status instead of "New" but it also still says "Decision Pending." Some say it's good, some say it's bad. If it's bad, well then, my decision's most definitely made for me!

But it could also be good. Why, oh why, do they torture us like this?

Also, the Maryland HiLS acceptance/rejections have gone out but their system is down. Curse you aqua scum!

I just noticed an Indiana reject. Are they dashing hopes and dreams today too?

They don't do all their rejections at once. I know they've been rejecting some of the obviously unsuitable candidates in the past few weeks (which obviously hasn't shown up on the results board because gradcafe folks are the most creative, brilliant and attractive applicants out there). But I wouldn't be surprised if another wave of rejections has hit, or is about to.

They don't do all their rejections at once. I know they've been rejecting some of the obviously unsuitable candidates in the past few weeks (which obviously hasn't shown up on the results board because gradcafe folks are the most creative, brilliant and attractive applicants out there). But I wouldn't be surprised if another wave of rejections has hit, or is about to.

Maybe, just maybe, there is still hope!