Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

I vote that you email/call and find out what's going on.  ;)

this is the e-mail I have just got

"Dear Mr. mvolkan,
My apologies; you currently are on our wait list and we haven't yet received sufficient numbers of declinations to move down that list.  I apologize that I do not have better news for you at this time.
Best,
Professor X"

I don't know what to do :(

Well, I just checked the OSU website (for about the 4th time today) and it said a decision had been made. Looks like my application for admission was not approved. This after my POI said I stood out among the other applicants and was most certainly going to be offered admission with a multi-year funding package. And then after he said a month later that he had been over confident when he spoke earlier and that I was on the waiting list, but he still believed I would be accepted with funding. I've gotta say... this sucks.

Well, it didn't take too much to get my rejection after I was told that I was waitlisted :) Now I have 3 offers from Binghamton, Santa Barbara and Arizona State. And although ASU is ranked worst among them, due to the strong faculty in my field I will go for ASU, and reject the others. This process is now over for me as well

Edited by mvolkan

Well, I just checked the OSU website (for about the 4th time today) and it said a decision had been made. Looks like my application for admission was not approved. This after my POI said I stood out among the other applicants and was most certainly going to be offered admission with a multi-year funding package. And then after he said a month later that he had been over confident when he spoke earlier and that I was on the waiting list, but he still believed I would be accepted with funding. I've gotta say... this sucks.

I am really sorry to read this!!! :( Is there any other offer on the table? :) 

I am sure you'll fine elsewhere... Now, you were not admitted for lack of funding? It surely sucks when our fate is decided by mere economics... I don't know what to say to be more supportive, really, but I do hope everything turns out fine.

Edited by Andean Pat

Well, it didn't take too much to get my rejection after I was told that I was waitlisted :) Now I have 3 offers from Binghamton, Santa Barbara and Arizona State. And although ASU is ranked worst among them, due to the strong faculty in my field I will go for ASU, and reject the others. This process is now over for me as well

Great news! I'm glad you've decided. Congratulations! And bonus, now there's a spot open at UCSB (from whom I still have not heard - sigh.) Enjoy Arizona :)  

Edited by theregalrenegade

I know I'm late to the party but as a long time lurker I wanted to thank everyone for all the advice on the forum. Hopefully I can pass it forward one day. For the record I consider myself a Latin Americanist who plans to focus on religion, violence and U.S Latin American relations. I will be attending UT Austin, and from what I gather I may be the only one on this forum.

Congrats ! If you join the cohort at Binghamton, we would be SUNY-mate because I will probably go for SUNY Buffalo.  

I'm visiting this weekend and trying to jot down in my note as many questions I can pose to the DGS and graduate students there possible (apparently I'm having dinner with everyone !). I know this may be old and repetitive but did anyone in our thread do campus visit so far? Besides all the classic questions on faculty, job placement, research funding, what other interesting points am I missing here? Thanks guys!  

I am really sorry to read this!!! :( Is there any other offer on the table? :)

I am sure you'll fine elsewhere... Now, you were not admitted for lack of funding? It surely sucks when our fate is decided by mere economics... I don't know what to say to be more supportive, really, but I do hope everything turns out fine.

Yeah, it looks like I'll be headed to UConn in the fall! I really like my POI there and it's a pretty good funding package, so I think things will turn out well. I'm just really glad the excruciating wait is over, even if it didn't turn out exactly how I hoped.

Thanks for the kind words! :) Everyone here is so nice and supportive! I'll definitely be hanging around to see how things wrap up for others and offer support/advice when I can.

I am happy to say that I have made a decision! Out of respect for my mother who wants me to wait for the magical funding that is suppose to appear in the next 10 days, I'm not saying where. But, it feels so, so good to have decided. There was a little doubt in my mind but then I just said, "No, you know exactly where you want to be."

It's funny - when I started this search a long, long time ago I said that school was my favorite. Then other schools claimed first and now, here I am, going to attend that first school in the fall. 

I was so exhausted by this process and I just wanted it to be over. It made me wonder if I was just tired of the process or if I didn't want to go to graduate school. Well, I've decided and I am over the moon, can't stop smiling, looking at apartments and so incredibly excited. Verdict: It was the process.

Good luck to everyone else in their decision making process. We're almost done!

I have also decided where to go!

It came down to a choice between the place where I thought I'd personally be happiest on a number of fronts (Interdisciplinary Program) and the place where I'd be set up best for a traditional academic career (History Program).

I visited the Interdisciplinary Program and absolutely loved it.  I waited a while to see if the warm glow would die down, but it didn't. 

When I turned down the history program, I felt a twinge of regret, but that dissipated, and I'm at peace with my decision.  

Exhale.

Edited by Katzenmusik

You lucky sods! (those who have made decisions! :D )

I finally got my rejection from UCSB. I'm bummed, but I figured as much by this late in the game. 

Therefore, I'm just waiting to hear about funding from Nottingham and Sussex - which might not be for a month or so. 

glad i won't be the other person hangin around in this thread still undecided until then

Yea, definitely not. I said I wasn't holding my breath for funding from UMass Amherst but I totally am.

Illinois State offered me full tuition and a 12k/yr GA position with 10 days left to decision day. A part of me wants to take it, but a big part of me says a more prestigious university is better for my future.

Illinois State offered me full tuition and a 12k/yr GA position with 10 days left to decision day. A part of me wants to take it, but a big part of me says a more prestigious university is better for my future.

And UConn isn't offering funding? If that's the case, I would bite Illinois State's hand off. UConn has a solid department, but I don't think that it's prestigious enough to consider going into unnecessary debt over.

No departmental funding from UConn.

Thing is, there is the possibility of three GA positions at UConn that are non-departmental. All offer full tuition+non-specified stipend. I won't hear back from them until after April 15th. I'm really afraid I will get one of them after I (hypothetically) commit to Illinois State and be kicking myself for two years in nowhere Illinois. 

Edited by History Time

No departmental funding from UConn.

Thing is, there is the possibility of three GA positions at UConn that are non-departmental. All offer full tuition+non-specified stipend. I won't hear back from them until after April 15th. I'm really afraid I will get one of them after I (hypothetically) commit to Illinois State and be kicking myself for two years in nowhere Illinois. 

Are both offers for MA or PhD?

I say go with UConn. It is worth going into debt if it means getting into a top department and landing a job in a super competitive market. Also, as I have said before, most MAs are not funded. I've had to pay for both my MLS and MA out of my own pocket. I will never be able to buy a house, but, personally, it is worth it. 

History Time, you are in a tough position!  

Do you have a sense of how competitive the UConn GA-ships are?  Sometimes it seems like universities have hidden pots of money just waiting for people to ask about them... and other times tons of people are applying for the same limited funds.  Perhaps some of the current students could shed some light on the situation and how likely it is to work out in your favor?

As anyone reading my post history will see, I'm a funded MA partisan, so in the absence of solid info, I'd go with Illinois.  You can use the program as a stepping-stone toward other impressive feats, and house-buying will remain a possibility.   :)  

Edited by Katzenmusik