Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

I think writing to POIs is useful at the very least for determining whether or not they're taking on any more students.  Almost all the profs I contacted got back to me, sometimes with a polite but perfunctory response...and other times with real enthusiasm and kindness.  I think I can chalk up my acceptance to one of my top choice programs to a phone call I had with a POI back in October, after I had emailed them.

So, while it might be necessary at some - even most - programs, I have found it extremely successful or - at the very least - useful in determining whether or not I should even bother to apply. :) Just my two cents!

I don't think this is discongruous with anything I've said. I was more trying to get at not having information is not yet identical with not being admitted. I'm holding out hope because my POI is out of the country, for example.

There has been an email by the Chair of the Department to all accepted students, independent of POI contact...

I emailed a professor with exactly that prompt, except I used my name instead of X, and she thought I was trying to circumvent the process, which was actually great information.  Believe it or not, I did not apply to that school.

I don't doubt you.  It's just rather bizarre.  It's a pretty standard practice in the discipline and professors who don't like it usually just don't answer the emails.  Along with the ones that are busy with other things. 

One has to remember that cold contacting people is part of being professional.  Just this morning I wrote an email to someone whose book was on my reading lists and had a very fruitful conversation with them.  This is how professional networks are built.

I agree about the networking aspect and it's sometimes a nice side-effect of these POI emails. There were two professors I corresponded with who discouraged me from applying to their schools for different reasons, but provided some pretty extensive advice about other programs and invited me to contact them about research in the future. There are definitely some very nice history professors out there and I probably wouldn't have met them for years if ever, had I not sent the emails.

There has been an email by the Chair of the Department to all accepted students, independent of POI contact...

Oh. I guess I can let go of hope for that, then...

I definitely recommend contacting POIs, if nothing else to make sure that you're a potentially good fit, or that they are still taking students. There were 3-4 programs that I was initially interested in... then I found out that the POIs were all retiring and no longer taking students; in addition, at one particular program, the other person I'd been interested in working with instead told me s/he was planning to be gone for research for a couple of years and wasn't really interested in working on a project like mine. I didn't apply to any of those programs and saved myself $350.

Although statistically it doesn't mean anything, the two admits I received were from the two programs I established no POI contact with. At least it means that not contacting them does not reduce your chances.

Although statistically it doesn't mean anything, the two admits I received were from the two programs I established no POI contact with. At least it means that not contacting them does not reduce your chances.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say -- Goingcrazy was wondering if not contacting POI's had killed his/her chances, and the answer is "no."

For those of you already in programs, how is it traditionally viewed by POIs if someone coming from a non-history job but has the proper degrees is applying to these programs? I've often wondered because that's the situation I'm in and I haven't had much success. I double majored as an undergrad and have a B.A. in communication and history. I had an opportunity for a career in journalism and took it, but later earned my M.A. in history while continuing to work full time, but now I seem to be stuck. I've been working on research on my own and I think I have some good ideas for projects, but so far schools are not biting. My grades were decent (3.8 undergrad, 4.0 masters) and so are my GRE scores (158/152/4.0). For a writing sample, this time around I used a paper I was particularly proud of from a seminar class I had to take for my masters-- though it isn't geared specifically toward my exact topic of interest, and all three of my lor writers were from the school where I obtained my masters degree. I was rejected by every school I applied to last year and am not very optimistic anymore this year, though at present I only have one rejection in hand. Does anybody see anything there that could raise any red flags and would be keeping me from being admitted? How about any advice on what I may want to change if I have to repeat this process again next year?

This is my first time posting. I just received an offer from State University of New York at Buffalo today. Anyone else in the same cohort? 

Also anybody heard back from Penn State and NYU? Some people told me that Penn State often released offers by this time but I haven't seen anything. As for NYU, apparently some people got offers to visit. I'm so confused. If you know any information regarding this, I appreciate it :) 

midnightfox - First, I don't think your non-history job is a big deal. I was in grad school in another discipline for three years and have been working for nearly three in that field now. While I emphasized that I took some history-oriented classes in law school, I didn't get an MA or do research while working and was still accepted.

I also don't think it's a big deal that your writing sample is in a different subject area; my impression is that the point of a writing sample is to show that you 1) can write and 2) can do history, at least at a high enough level to warrant admission to a grad program.

Fit seems to be a big deal and you may not be fitting into the programs you applied to through no fault of your own - the people you picked to work with might be on extended leave, or leaving, or interested in different things than in the past. The department might only be offering a certain number of spots or a certain amount of funding for your subfield this year. I think these issues are where it really does help to contact POIs and get a sense of what they're looking for in that cycle if you have to reapply. Based on what you find out, you might want to apply to a different roster of schools or change your proposed projects.

Edited by czesc

For those of you already in programs, how is it traditionally viewed by POIs if someone coming from a non-history job but has the proper degrees is applying to these programs? I've often wondered because that's the situation I'm in and I haven't had much success. I double majored as an undergrad and have a B.A. in communication and history. I had an opportunity for a career in journalism and took it, but later earned my M.A. in history while continuing to work full time, but now I seem to be stuck. I've been working on research on my own and I think I have some good ideas for projects, but so far schools are not biting. My grades were decent (3.8 undergrad, 4.0 masters) and so are my GRE scores (158/152/4.0). For a writing sample, this time around I used a paper I was particularly proud of from a seminar class I had to take for my masters-- though it isn't geared specifically toward my exact topic of interest, and all three of my lor writers were from the school where I obtained my masters degree. I was rejected by every school I applied to last year and am not very optimistic anymore this year, though at present I only have one rejection in hand. Does anybody see anything there that could raise any red flags and would be keeping me from being admitted? How about any advice on what I may want to change if I have to repeat this process again next year?

If anything, coming from a non-history related job is a positive for admissions committees. They're looking for individuals who are likely to be able to make it through a grueling, multi-year process. Having "real life experience" as well as an MA are both excellent signs in that regard. 

It sounds like you have good numbers and good experience. One rejection this cycle is nothing to be pessimistic about. If things don't go your way again this year, you should consider sitting down with your letter writers, or even emailing a POI at one of the schools you applied to, if you've been in contact with them. Good luck with the rest of your applications.

Here's the thing- the others are on the money- more often than not it is NOT about you.  You will learn that quickly once in a program too- not everything is about you.  There are far, far too many variables in play.  The best you can do is to put your best foot forward and hope you win that round of Russian roulette.  And it is NOT the end of the world to be a re-applicant.  I applied three times.  Those were the most miserable years of my life yet I gained life experience that's been put in good use thus far in my program.

There's a Michigan admit up. Anyone want to claim it? (And share if you have any info?)

That would be me! Apparently the decisions have been made...

I'm a lurker and didn't want to just jump into the thread with my good news. But, since you ask, why not?

And besides... there's another Michigan admit up! Now who might that be?

Edited by fishsauce

I'm a lurker and didn't want to just jump into the thread with my good news. But, since you ask, why not?

fishsauce, if you don't mind sharing, was it an official email from the department head/graduate school or a personal email from a POI?

Oh man, congrats! :) Of course now I'm going to check my email even more frequently for news.