Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

So for those of you out there who have offers and are also on waitlists, what are your plans?  Are you still holding out hope for those programs, or are you already seeing yourself somewhere you've been accepted to?  Just curious. :)

My first choice is deciding on funding soon. If I get a good package, I'm going to accept. If the funding is not so good, I'm going to wait to hear back from the other schools. I'm looking forward to having some solidarity in my future and no more having to look at a globe to guess where I'll be in September.

Hi guys!  I've been lurking around all season, and I've loved reading all of your discussions, but I actually have a question now.  Does anyone know anything about the NYU waitlist?  Do people actually get accepted off of it, or is it just a soft no?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

...and because what goes up must come down, Chicago just rejected me. I guess don't presume you're getting a MAPSS referral until they actually come; they're rejecting in waves.

Ahh, I'm still waiting on Chicago as well. Did you receive an email from the department?

Also, I just received my first waitlist (at UVa as well) and wanted to know whether it's too early to ask to be taken off the list, since I'm fairly certain I will be choosing another school anyways. Plus, it sounds like there are tiers of waitlist, and I don't want to prolong another applicant's agony.

Anyone else hear back from NYU ? That's the only other school I'm waiting on at the moment.

Edited by herstorian

Harvard sent out rejection letters yesterday.

I think I may postpone checking the mail for awhile...

Ahh, I'm still waiting on Chicago as well. Did you receive an email from the department?

Also, I just received my first waitlist (at UVa as well) and wanted to know whether it's too early to ask to be taken off the list, since I'm fairly certain I will be choosing another school anyways. Plus, it sounds like there are tiers of waitlist, and I don't want to prolong another applicant's agony.

Anyone else hear back from NYU ? That's the only other school I'm waiting on at the moment.

I did get an email from Chicago. It didn't come directly from anyone in the department but from the "Dean of Students" (I think of social sciences, since the attached letter was on social sciences letterhead), saying they couldn't offer admission to the department. I didn't see that anyone else did on the results board, so maybe I'm a special case? Maybe I was MAPSS referred but they decided I probably wouldn't go for it based on my background and/or didn't have the space in MAPSS and just gave me a late breaking rejection -- meaning everyone else at this stage will get the MAPSS. Who knows.

From the letter I received from UVA, it sounded as if they'd be really happy to take anyone's name off the waitlist ASAP so others could move up.

I've heard from people who are admitted and/or know the department that chances are grim at NYU if you haven't heard anything by now.

EDIT: although someone just posted an NYU waitlist notice. NYU waitlist person - please emerge from the shadows and tell us more. Were you at the prospective weekend?

Edited by czesc

I think I may postpone checking the mail for awhile...

I did get an email from Chicago. It didn't come directly from anyone in the department but from the "Dean of Students" (I think of social sciences, since the attached letter was on social sciences letterhead), saying they couldn't offer admission to the department. I didn't see that anyone else did on the results board, so maybe I'm a special case? Maybe I was MAPSS referred but they decided I probably wouldn't go for it based on my background and/or didn't have the space in MAPSS and just gave me a late breaking rejection -- meaning everyone else at this stage will get the MAPSS. Who knows.

From the letter I received from UVA, it sounded as if they'd be really happy to take anyone's name off the waitlist ASAP so others could move up.

I've heard from people who are admitted and/or know the department that chances are grim at NYU if you haven't heard anything by now.

EDIT: although someone just posted an NYU waitlist notice. NYU waitlist person - please emerge from the shadows and tell us more. Were you at the prospective weekend?

I'm the NYU waitlist, and I was not invited to the Prospective Student weekend.  I'm not sure what the waitlist means, but NYU is my top choice so I'm really hoping for the best. 

Fascinating. Was it an official department/"decision" email, or something from a POI? Were you interviewed or did you receive any contact before?

Edited by czesc

The waitlist came in an official email, and I did not have any contact with anyone from the department since the Fall semester.  I was really expecting a rejection this late, but I don't know that this isn't still a rejection, just a kind one.

Edited by Molly1988

I decided to e-mail the DGS at both Temple and UIC because I know other people had heard and honestly just want to know when I will will find out. I got an e-mail back from UIC saying they are still in the middle of the process, so it looks like they send admittances/rejections out as they come and not at the same time, for anyone waiting. I haven't heard back from the DGS at Temple, so I am now compulsively checking my e-mail.

Oh and I got waitlisted for the MA program at UNC Charlotte, which I don't know how to feel about/whether it's likely they will take me off the list.

Does anyone have any info on the posted UNC rejections or wait-list? I haven't heard anything, but I'm still hoping to at least be wait-listed.

Still waiting on UNC as well. I actually broke down and emailed as I am considering an offer from UConn. They were polite but brief, said they are still "conducting the admissions process" and that I should know shortly. Not really helpful but I guess it means we have a chance?

Hm, no Harvard rejection in my mailbox yet. As much as I appreciate their taking the expense to reject us in hard copy, the postal service makes this process that much less certain...the Harvard massacre is going to have to be a slow-motion one I guess. More Siege of Leningrad than Battle of the Somme.

Still waiting on Maryland but at this point I'm 100% positive in where I'm going  My grandfather offered to give me my inheritance from my Nana who passed away this fall, early, so I potentially don't have to take out any loans. Which is amazing but naturally I'm going to feel indebted to him. Oh well, such is life.

Anyone else still waiting?

I'm still waiting for the University of Toronto to finally reject me. I'm also waiting for any kind of information to make its way out of the University of Missouri-Columbia.

Still waiting on Maryland but at this point I'm 100% positive in where I'm going My grandfather offered to give me my inheritance from my Nana who passed away this fall, early, so I potentially don't have to take out any loans. Which is amazing but naturally I'm going to feel indebted to him. Oh well, such is life.

I'm still waiting for University of Iowa, CUNY, University of Toronto and UVM (which is a MA program). Let's just get this over with already!

Still waiting on four universities... I keep telling myself I will write the DGS, but then I notice on the board that some of these schools notified well into March, and even April, and I restrain myself. It should be any day now (this is the chant I have going in my head). I've only just turned in apps for scholarships to St Andrews and Nottingham. Thankfully, those are the only two universities that required a separate app for scholarships.

I'm ready for some decisions, please!!

P.S. annieca - Your nana would have wanted your inheritance to go to something that would make you happy. Know that because of her you'll be in a better place financially.  :)

Hm, no Harvard rejection in my mailbox yet. As much as I appreciate their taking the expense to reject us in hard copy, the postal service makes this process that much less certain...the Harvard massacre is going to have to be a slow-motion one I guess. More Siege of Leningrad than Battle of the Somme.

I live in the Boston area and mine arrived yesterday. I know that doesn't really help, but hopefully it gives you some idea of when it would arrive.

does anyone know when students usually have to respond back to offers? is it typically april 15, or does it depend on the university/program?

i'm asking for my UVA waitlisted, lurker friend...not me, I swear hahah (i was denied from there weeks ago haha) :P

does anyone know when students usually have to respond back to offers? is it typically april 15, or does it depend on the university/program?

i'm asking for my UVA waitlisted, lurker friend...not me, I swear hahah (i was denied from there weeks ago haha) :P

It's mutually agreed upon by a council of all (American) graduate programs that April 15th is the reply-by date.