Louisiana State

I just broke down and called the Graduate Office. I spoke with a very nice secretary who told me the faculty only has three more files to review and will be meeting at the end of the week to do the ranking. Once they're done with that, she said they'll be specifically calling the top three candidates right away to be offering admission and will work their way down the list from there. There were 440 total applicants to the MFA and Ph.D., but only 106 to the Ph.D. As I understand it, that's up from last year, but still way less to contend with than other schools, especially since they usually take about 12 Ph.D.s.

Hey, inafuturelife, I do have a couple questions.

1. What's life in Baton Rouge like? I've heard conflicting accounts, though most seem to lean toward "if you avoid I-10 at all costs and avoid going outside between April and October, it's really not too bad."

2. My major focus is Southern Studies, so if I get in, I'll be primarily working with Costello, Henninger, Lowe, and Moreland. I don't know what your focus is, but have you had the chance to work with/take classes with any of them so far?

I don't want to count my chickens yet, but I've felt all along that LSU is my Hail Mary pass and the school where I have the best chance of getting in. It's been one of my top picks from the start and my interests really match up with the program's strengths. This is the one I've been really, really hoping for.

I'll respond more on Thursday when I have time, but Lowe is going to Georgia in the fall. Officially announced last week.

I'm surprised to hear that about Lowe. Is it just for the semester or a permanent move? If it is permanent, I'll be dissapointed - his research interests really lined up with mine.

I'm surprised to hear that about Lowe. Is it just for the semester or a permanent move? If it is permanent, I'll be dissapointed - his research interests really lined up with mine.

Permanent, I'm afraid. Announced here at UGA on 2/29.

also, for what it's worth, rumor has it that they might only be able to accept as few as 6 ph.d students this year (but again, that's rumor). there were 10 accepted in my cohort; they decided to accept less students rather than cut our funding.

Hoo-boy. I don't suppose you'd know how many they usually put on the waitlist, do you?

I got a very warm and encouraging email from Dr. Weltman after emailing her to inquire about my status. She stated that I am on the waitlist with "quite a few other names", and that the news may not come for a while about whether they can admit me or not. I'm not holding out too much hope, but if there's anyone out there who got accepted to LSU (particularly a Southern Studies person) who's decided not to go, I would love you forever if you let Dr. Weltman know and a spot opened up.

I really want in LSU. This is the 2nd time I've applied there. I was straight out rejected last year, so I feel like this is a win. So close, yet so far away. I'm really hoping this turns into an acceptance.

congratulations, lolopixie! I didn't apply to LSU, but I have to admit that I've been stalking this topic in the hopes that I'd see you'd gotten good news. Crossing my fingers for you!

I have a friend who worked in the deli at a supermarket in New Orleans. When I told him there's a chance I might get into LSU, he volunteered to take one of their rotisserie chickens, throw it at the grave of Marie Leveau and run like all hell. That was the best laugh I've had in a long time and one I really, really needed.

YAY, lolo!!! :D So excited for you. Here's to hoping it turns into an admission!

WOO! I really really really hope it becomes an acceptance, lolo!

yay!!! hopefully this turns into an even better piece of news for you and datatape :)

congratulations, lolopixie! I didn't apply to LSU, but I have to admit that I've been stalking this topic in the hopes that I'd see you'd gotten good news. Crossing my fingers for you!

Waitlisted, hm... I'll have to check back up on the school again. You can do it lolo! You will fly far far to Louisiana

Thanks for all the warm wishes and positive thinking. It is good to know that I have people in my cheering section.

I'm biting my nails down to the elbow at this point, because I'm pretty sure this is just about the only school I've got a chance at making it off the waitlist. Come on, LSU, do me a solid, please.

• 3 weeks later...